New to figure skating world | Golden Skate

New to figure skating world

Sk8terM0M

Spectator
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,

So my 8 year old went ice skating for her first time in Jan 2023 and immediately told me that she wants to go to the Olympics, lol. She is about to transition into Basic 5 this weekend I am feeling very overwhelmed. I never skated in my life and this is a whole new world for us both. I listen to the moms at the rink and they all seem to know so much. BTW, this is my first forum I have ever joined, so that tells you how overwhelmed I feel, lol.

Luckily we close enough to a rink so she can go several days per week. My dd takes 3 group lessons per week now and one private lesson with a coach. She also just joined a smaller group of skaters who are hand picked from the rink director for their talent, so she will start those lessons and Freestyle lessons also. My daughter is fearless and driven like I have never seen her before and seems to have inate skills for this sport.

I have been reading fervently since finding this forum trying to learn all I can, as I feel like I don't even know what I don't know! If there are any posts/threads (not quite sure of the difference yet), that you can point me in the right direction that would help.

Where to buy the clothes, and equipment.
Where to find out info about competitions for the year.
Do's and don't's or any advice you can give the mom of a skater.

Thank you all so much.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone,

So my 8 year old went ice skating for her first time in Jan 2023 and immediately told me that she wants to go to the Olympics, lol. She is about to transition into Basic 5 this weekend I am feeling very overwhelmed. I never skated in my life and this is a whole new world for us both. I listen to the moms at the rink and they all seem to know so much. BTW, this is my first forum I have ever joined, so that tells you how overwhelmed I feel, lol.

Luckily we close enough to a rink so she can go several days per week. My dd takes 3 group lessons per week now and one private lesson with a coach. She also just joined a smaller group of skaters who are hand picked from the rink director for their talent, so she will start those lessons and Freestyle lessons also. My daughter is fearless and driven like I have never seen her before and seems to have inate skills for this sport.

I have been reading fervently since finding this forum trying to learn all I can, as I feel like I don't even know what I don't know! If there are any posts/threads (not quite sure of the difference yet), that you can point me in the right direction that would help.

Thank you all so much.
Hello and welcome to the sport (to both you and your daughter)!

This sport can be very overwhelming at times, but we are here to help. Her coaches/skating director should be able to assist you as well.

As far as skates and getting her properly fit, are you able to tell us what part of the US you are in so we can suggest proper fitters.
Also, clothing. There are several places online that are dedicated to it: Rainbo and Jerry's are two of those.

Sk8terM0M

Spectator
Country
United-States
Thank you so much for your reply. I will check out the links that you provided. So I have a couple more questions if anyone can help. How many weeks does it take for my daughter to prep for a competition? would 4 weeks be enough (she is in Basic 5 as from today). Also we have to travel for a while, and we will not be close to an ice rink. Any advice as to how we can keep practicing without ice?
Thanks

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Typically, you don’t start competing right away. Her coach will let you guys know when she‘s ready to compete, although after some time, you can ask the coach if that’s something your interested in.

I would highly recommend getting her to a proper fitter ASAP. Having properly fitting skates is a must.

Regarding clothing, definitely check out the links that Ic3Rabbit sent, but also know that you don’t need anything fancy.

A few words of advice to keep in mind
  • Roadblocks, falls, etc. are all perfectly normal and part of the process - for the most part you don’t need to panic
  • Trust the coach, they know what they’re doing (BUT, if something seems very wrong, go with your gut. You can always ask us here if anything seems off)
  • Keep a balance with skating/life - your daughter is still young
There‘s plenty of other things that I could write about this sport, but I‘ll leave it at this for now. Please let us know what further questions you have.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Thank you so much for your reply. I will check out the links that you provided. So I have a couple more questions if anyone can help. How many weeks does it take for my daughter to prep for a competition? would 4 weeks be enough (she is in Basic 5 as from today). Also we have to travel for a while, and we will not be close to an ice rink. Any advice as to how we can keep practicing without ice?
Thanks
Hey! Welcome to the world of skating.

for travel: Stretching is the best thing to do while traveling. 15-20 minutes of stretching, 3-4x a week is vital no matter how much or little ice time she is getting.

Don't rush into competitions, although if her club does showcases, those are fun for beginners. I would also say, in my opinion, that 4 lessons a week is too much. She should have some time to practice her skills between lessons, and she can do that on her own (with you at the boards) at age 8.

Get her fitted for skates, otherwise it can cause all kinds of injuries and issues. If you drop your state here, others can recommend good people nearby. And let her wear whatever she wants, as long as she can move in it. You may be able to buy practice dresses used from other skaters at the rink if she wants to skate in dresses. Buy more gloves than you think she'll need. The cheap kids ones from Target are fine, because ibswead, skate bags eat kids' gloves.

lastly, make sure she does things outside the rink. (advice I should often take myself!)

Sk8terM0M

Spectator
Country
United-States
We are in Florida. Her coach did measure her for skates and recommended the Jackson EVO's which she is currently using. As for the gloves.....if she would only wear them!!! She keeps taking them off so she can look 'graceful'. Even though I keep pointing out all the older (and more advanced) skaters wear gloves.
Thanks for the advice on the stretching, if you know any good links to 'off ice workouts' I would appreciate it. I will also look up some videos she can maybe follow along with until she is familiar. My dd has never done dance, or gymnastics, so we really need to work on the flexibility.

I don't want to rush into competitions either. The program she was accepted in requires her to agree to a few competitions. Unfortunately we are away for the local one at our rink. The next available competition would be in New York and its NQS. I am thinking that might be too much pressure for her first one. How many weeks does it typically take to prepare a routine etc for a competition? I want to encourage her, but not push her too much too fast and ruin her spirit. I also don't want the coach taking advantage of us as we are new.

She does have 1 hr practice time on her own each lesson day beforehand. Also on the weekend we are there for 2-3 hours so she can practice by herself.

Is it worth buying roller blades for her to practice with while we are traveling, or is that too different of a feeling? I don't want to make things worse for her. Her coach said that she is not too worried about the travel as she has picked it up so fast since January, so maybe just the stretching.

You are all so helpful, thank you for the support.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
We are in Florida. Her coach did measure her for skates and recommended the Jackson EVO's which she is currently using. As for the gloves.....if she would only wear them!!! She keeps taking them off so she can look 'graceful'. Even though I keep pointing out all the older (and more advanced) skaters wear gloves.
Thanks for the advice on the stretching, if you know any good links to 'off ice workouts' I would appreciate it. I will also look up some videos she can maybe follow along with until she is familiar. My dd has never done dance, or gymnastics, so we really need to work on the flexibility.

I don't want to rush into competitions either. The program she was accepted in requires her to agree to a few competitions. Unfortunately we are away for the local one at our rink. The next available competition would be in New York and its NQS. I am thinking that might be too much pressure for her first one. How many weeks does it typically take to prepare a routine etc for a competition? I want to encourage her, but not push her too much too fast and ruin her spirit. I also don't want the coach taking advantage of us as we are new.

She does have 1 hr practice time on her own each lesson day beforehand. Also on the weekend we are there for 2-3 hours so she can practice by herself.

Is it worth buying roller blades for her to practice with while we are traveling, or is that too different of a feeling? I don't want to make things worse for her. Her coach said that she is not too worried about the travel as she has picked it up so fast since January, so maybe just the stretching.

You are all so helpful, thank you for the support.
Hi! Sorry for the late reply. I can't help with off ice training specifics, as I don't know your daughter's skills (and my routines are based on my 20ish years of dance and figure skating experience). Cutting back on her time on ice and adding in a dance class would be really beneficial for flexibility and cross training. That said, my 6 year old occasionally enjoys doing the Cosmic Kid's Yoga routines on Youtube, so check those out. They may be a bit young for her, but a good place to start!

Re: roller blades. I am not the person to ask about these, because I don't enjoy inline or roller skating at all. Some skaters really like it where I live, but most of our rinks are only open about 6 months of the year. So if you're only away from the ice for less than 2-3 weeks at a time, I wouldn't bother, personally. Does she ride a bike? Go for a bike ride, or a jog with her to get some cardio, and stretching.

As for comps, I'd chat with her coach. I feel like a lot of kids don't compete til they get through the LTS levels, but it's been a while since those days for me. :) I feel like we'd prep for a least a couple months for competitions, but I wasn't training nearly as much on ice as your daughter is at that time.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Keep her strong. Just overall no matter what she ends up choosing to do with her life, the main thing that will prevent her from injuries is strength. Strong ankles strong legs strong core strong arms. That also means making sure she's eating enough (especially when she gets older and the skating world starts to tell her the opposite...). Dance classes often incorporate strength training as does gymnastics. Skating is usually lacking in that regard. Also stretching, but that's been stressed enough. Highly recommend ballet as well. Literally anything that keeps her moving. She's a kid; it's not that deep. As long as she stays active in a VARIETY of activities, she'll be fine.

As for clothing, pretty much anything that you can move in. I usually wear athletic joggers and a t-shirt nowadays. I don't like tight fitting clothing all that much anymore. But I see lots of people wearing tights, a leotard, and a skirt/shorts. I also see lots of leggings + longline sports bra/cropped tank top combos. You will see a lot of LuluLemon but it's not necessary. I always begged my mom for a pair of Lulu leggings so I could feel like I fit in, but when I finally got a pair it was literally the same as my other leggings lol. Nowadays, as a professional skater, I literally buy all my skating clothing from Target, Aerie, and CRZ Yoga on Amazon.

She'll start wearing the gloves when her hands start getting cold when she's falling on her jumps. Just make sure she always has a pair with her so that when she decides to put them on she has them. It's good that she isn't dependent on gloves though. Some people get to a point where they can't skate without them and end up competing in their gloves.

Sk8terM0M

Spectator
Country
United-States
Keep her strong. Just overall no matter what she ends up choosing to do with her life, the main thing that will prevent her from injuries is strength. Strong ankles strong legs strong core strong arms. That also means making sure she's eating enough (especially when she gets older and the skating world starts to tell her the opposite...). Dance classes often incorporate strength training as does gymnastics. Skating is usually lacking in that regard. Also stretching, but that's been stressed enough. Highly recommend ballet as well. Literally anything that keeps her moving. She's a kid; it's not that deep. As long as she stays active in a VARIETY of activities, she'll be fine.

As for clothing, pretty much anything that you can move in. I usually wear athletic joggers and a t-shirt nowadays. I don't like tight fitting clothing all that much anymore. But I see lots of people wearing tights, a leotard, and a skirt/shorts. I also see lots of leggings + longline sports bra/cropped tank top combos. You will see a lot of LuluLemon but it's not necessary. I always begged my mom for a pair of Lulu leggings so I could feel like I fit in, but when I finally got a pair it was literally the same as my other leggings lol. Nowadays, as a professional skater, I literally buy all my skating clothing from Target, Aerie, and CRZ Yoga on Amazon.

She'll start wearing the gloves when her hands start getting cold when she's falling on her jumps. Just make sure she always has a pair with her so that when she decides to put them on she has them. It's good that she isn't dependent on gloves though. Some people get to a point where they can't skate without them and end up competing in their gloves.
"It's not that deep" - Thank you, this is encouraging.

Luckily she is an active kid and eats just about anything I give her. I don't subscribe to buying 'brands' just because other people have them, and luckily she is still young enough that she is not nagging me to, lol. I will try to encorporate some ballet strength moves for her at home along with her wall sits. We also try to get out on her bike on the weekends. I will also check out the Cosmo kids yoga suggested by Emilinkaa.

Last edited:

GBs mom

Rinkside
I can definitely relate. I was where you were five years ago. Here are a few things I’ve learned along the way:

• Skating can be an extremely intense sport. No one I know signed up for youth soccer with the intent to make the Olympics, yet there’s something about skating that attracts the drive to be the best of the best. I am very grateful that early on we set some boundaries. For example, it was important to us that my daughter continue an in person education (many choose to homeschool because ice time is limited). It was also important for us to not limit vacation travel, though you do lose skills quickly with time away from the ice.
  • Skating is crazy expensive. This is a hobby for my daughter. She will not reach elite levels. That said we still spend $16K+ a year for her to do this. I constantly ask myself if it’s worth it. We stay in it though because she enjoys it, it keeps her active, and has taught her how to work at something for years. She understands the cost of achieving excellence and has unbelievable grit.
Good luck to you and your daughter! It will all start to make much more sense the deeper you get into it. Just keep asking questions.

Sk8terM0M

Spectator
Country
United-States
I can definitely relate. I was where you were five years ago. Here are a few things I’ve learned along the way:

• Skating can be an extremely intense sport. No one I know signed up for youth soccer with the intent to make the Olympics, yet there’s something about skating that attracts the drive to be the best of the best. I am very grateful that early on we set some boundaries. For example, it was important to us that my daughter continue an in person education (many choose to homeschool because ice time is limited). It was also important for us to not limit vacation travel, though you do lose skills quickly with time away from the ice.
  • Skating is crazy expensive. This is a hobby for my daughter. She will not reach elite levels. That said we still spend $16K+ a year for her to do this. I constantly ask myself if it’s worth it. We stay in it though because she enjoys it, it keeps her active, and has taught her how to work at something for years. She understands the cost of achieving excellence and has unbelievable grit.
Good luck to you and your daughter! It will all start to make much more sense the deeper you get into it. Just keep asking questions.
Thanks for your response and these are some of the things we are thinking about. Yes, it is crazy expensive. However, like you said it has many benefits. It is keeping your daughter active and teaching her to be mentally and physically strong. Personally I think it's more mental in this sport. It is also creating an intrinsic drive inside to reach her goals, which will be a valuable lesson within the workforce later on. Not to mention the relationships they build, conflict resolution on the ice, and it is keeping her attention in a positive space. Middle school and high school are hard enough with negative influences at school, so having skating to distract her from negative energy elsewhere is definitely worth the 16K. As long as my daughter is interested, we will continue to watch her progress whether it be the olympics, or recreational. Thanks for your input and good luck with your journey.

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,

Thank you all so much.
Hi and welcome! Figure skating is an awesome sport and I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it a ton :)
Clothes- Typically I (and other skaters on the freestyle rink) wear a tight fitting shirt with leggings, and on early morning sessions, I bring a tight-fitting athletic jacket for warming up. I also wear stockings because wearing regular socks with skates are really uncomfortable. If your daughter is ever going to do programs and competitions, I suggest getting clear hockey tape to put over your skates so that the laces won't be too loose and she won't trip on it (That's what my coach suggested for me). I typically get my clothes from aerie, target, and yoga stores. Also don't forget to give her gloves so that she'll keep warm and won't cut her fingers!
I don't do competition so I can't give any advice on that :(
I think that encouraging your daughter to do off ice training/conditioning can really improve her progress on ice!

Sk8terM0M

Spectator
Country
United-States
Thank you all for your responses. So my hubby just got transferred from south Fl to Phoenix so we have a big move. I’m hoping we can find a rink close and continue our journey. I appreciate all the advice I have received here.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you all for your responses. So my hubby just got transferred from south Fl to Phoenix so we have a big move. I’m hoping we can find a rink close and continue our journey. I appreciate all the advice I have received here.
Once you are moved and established in AZ. Look into here for your daughter. Good luck! :)

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Phoenix has quite a few rinks, if I remember right, since they have an NHL team.