North and South Korea to march together | Page 3 | Golden Skate

North and South Korea to march together

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So will NK pair compete in team event as an united team with SK skaters?

Did you read post #38 of this thread? It is the second post above yours.

AFAIK, the answer is No, and the explanation for my answer is above.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Official ISU entry lists published today have confirmed that figure skating will *not* have a unified team.

(ETA:
Lest anyone wonder: Not a change in tune from the IOC announcement re DPRK and ROK, which said that except for women's hockey, athletes would compete for their own NOCs.)​

For the individual pairs competition:

- Ryom/Kim will compete for DPRK.
- Kim/Kam will compete ROK.

http://isu.org/docman-documents-lin...8-pyeongchang/15918-owg2018-fsk-entries-pairs (as of Jan 30)​

For the team event:

Ryom/Kim are not on the list of those eligible to compete for the ROK team.

http://isu.org/docman-documents-lin...ongchang/15919-owg2018-fsk-entries-team-event (as of Jan 30)​

(As previously discussed: In the Opening Ceremony, DPRK and ROK will march under one flag.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A recent joint cultural event, hailed as a new spirit of cooperation sort of thing, in the South was cancelled.

The North blamed the media for something - and I couldn't quite figure it out, but it seemed like "being mean."

Anyway - I'm still in that camp that will believe this joint appearance when I see it.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Speaking PURELY from a humanistic, apolitical, and personal POV, I think the older generation, including my parents, who were directly affected by the war and Korea's division (not many of whom are left today) embrace any glimmer of hope, however small, that families long lost to each other will one day be able to reunite and communicate freely, notwithstanding politics. My mother's entire immediate family (parents, three siblings) were left behind in North Korea, and it was over forty years before she could reconnect with them in any way (through heavily censored snail mail letters) during a brief happy and hopeful period in the late 80's/early 90's post-Seoul Oly, thanks to humanitarian organizations like Red Cross. She and my father (whose immediate family fortuitously left the North before it was too late due to my father's being in medical school in Seoul at the time) were eventually able to emigrate to the US (where my brothers and I were born) and start a new life as proud US citizens; but I know, although she rarely talked about it, that she'd dreamed of reuniting w her family in person one day, and was even planning a risky trip to North Korea w my father. Sadly, she passed away twenty-four years ago after a short illness, and was never able to fulfill her dream. I'm pretty sure that if she were around today, she would embrace North and South Korea marching and participating together in Pyeongchang as that glimmer of hope, and so do I. And as a figure skating fan, I'm happy beyond words that the exciting and talented Ryom and Kim will be there.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Speaking PURELY from a humanistic, apolitical, and personal POV, I think the older generation, including my parents, who were directly affected by the war and Korea's division (not many of whom are left today) embrace any glimmer of hope, however small, that families long lost to each other will one day be able to reunite and communicate freely, notwithstanding politics. My mother's entire immediate family (parents, three siblings) were left behind in North Korea, and it was over forty years before she could reconnect with them in any way (through heavily censored snail mail letters) during a brief happy and hopeful period in the late 80's/early 90's post-Seoul Oly, thanks to humanitarian organizations like Red Cross. She and my father (whose immediate family fortuitously left the North before it was too late due to my father's being in medical school in Seoul at the time) were eventually able to emigrate to the US (where my brothers and I were born) and start a new life as proud US citizens; but I know, although she rarely talked about it, that she'd dreamed of reuniting w her family in person one day, and was even planning a risky trip to North Korea w my father. Sadly, she passed away twenty-four years ago after a short illness, and was never able to fulfill her dream. I'm pretty sure that if she were around today, she would embrace North and South Korea marching and participating together in Pyeongchang as that glimmer of hope, and so do I. And as a figure skating fan, I'm happy beyond words that the exciting and talented Ryom and Kim will be there.

Thank you for sharing your family's experiences.

It is easy for the younger generation to forget that the older generation went through the trauma of having their families separated, and of not knowing how they were for years on end. I simply cannot imagine how awful that would be.

Although it will probably be too late for the people directly affected, I hope that in the future relations improve sufficiently to enable freer movement along the peninsula.

But, in the meantime, just be proud of how strong your parents have been through all this.

CaroLiza_fan

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you for sharing your family's experiences.

It is easy for the younger generation to forget that the older generation went through the trauma of having their families separated, and of not knowing how they were for years on end. I simply cannot imagine how awful that would be.

Although it will probably be too late for the people directly affected, I hope that in the future relations improve sufficiently to enable freer movement along the peninsula.

But, in the meantime, just be proud of how strong your parents have been through all this.

CaroLiza_fan

You are so kind and thoughtful, thank you so much -- and also for your numerous contributions to GS, which I always find extremely helpful! I did hesitate sharing something so personal, but I'm glad I did, if only to reveal another perspective that people may not have thought about.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What an amazing story! Thank you for sharing that. At Worlds in Helsinki, I couldn't help but feel a glimmer of hope when I saw the North Korean pair skating. I am so happy that there will be a show of unity in P.C., however large or small it will be.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
What an amazing story! Thank you for sharing that. At Worlds in Helsinki, I couldn't help but feel a glimmer of hope when I saw the North Korean pair skating. I am so happy that there will be a show of unity in P.C., however large or small it will be.

Thank you, Arriba, and I'm happy for that too.

On a lighter note, and completely off topic, I absolutely LOVE your avatar, and totally agree!!!:laugh:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you, Arriba, and I'm happy for that too.

On a lighter note, and completely off topic, I absolutely LOVE your avatar, and totally agree!!!:laugh:

Thank you! I usually change avatars frequently, but I think I have to keep this one for a while! As for the hair, well--no comment! :laugh2:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am very happy NK goes to the Olympics, and even that they march together with SK. I am not convinced by the idea of using a unified team for the women hokey event. I remember when Daniel Barenboim made an symphonic orchestra using both Israeli and Palestine young musicians. The idea is beautiful, but Barenboim was later vilified in the Israeli parliament, and nothing good has changed in the field.
Sport-men and musicians may do a lot of work, but without politics joining in, nothing really happens.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thank you for sharing this personal perspective.

My understanding is that the push for reunification is weakening as the separated families are growing older and dying. I liken it to Americans loss of the Greatest Generation - those who lived and fought in WWII.

Is it your belief that younger ROK people consider themselves as "South Koreans" rather than "Koreans"? That seems to be a mild impression I'm getting through news coverage - a growing sense of national identity, and not so much ethnic identity.

I feel like you might have some personal insight into that - forgive me if that is presumptuous.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you for sharing this personal perspective.

My understanding is that the push for reunification is weakening as the separated families are growing older and dying. I liken it to Americans loss of the Greatest Generation - those who lived and fought in WWII.

Is it your belief that younger ROK people consider themselves as "South Koreans" rather than "Koreans"? That seems to be a mild impression I'm getting through news coverage - a growing sense of national identity, and not so much ethnic identity.

I feel like you might have some personal insight into that - forgive me if that is presumptuous.

It's not at all presumptuous, and an interesting question. My sense is that this is the case, although I honestly don't have much more personal insight into that than what appears on the news since I've lived in the US all my life. I'll have to ask that question of those who would have a better feel when I get the chance. I have heard from some younger generation immigrants from South Korea that defectors from the North stand out, in part because their speech is so different, and that they tend to be looked down upon, which I find sad, but that does seem to reveal some sense of national as opposed to ethnic identity.

Kittosuni

Medalist
So USA delegation is going to bring the father of Otto Warmbier at the opening ceremony. Yup in your face Korea. Talking about party pooper.

"The Vice President will remind the world that everything the North Koreans do at the Olympics is a charade to cover up the fact that they are the most tyrannical and oppressive regime on the planet," the aide told Axios, adding that "at every opportunity, the VP will point out the reality of the oppression in North Korea by a regime that has enslaved its people. We will not allow North Korea's propaganda to hijack the messaging of the Olympics."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/04/politics/otto-warmbier-father-pyeongchang-olympics/index.html

b-man

Final Flight
It's not at all presumptuous, and an interesting question. My sense is that this is the case, although I honestly don't have much more personal insight into that than what appears on the news since I've lived in the US all my life. I'll have to ask that question of those who would have a better feel when I get the chance. I have heard from some younger generation immigrants from South Korea that defectors from the North stand out, in part because their speech is so different, and that they tend to be looked down upon, which I find sad, but that does seem to reveal some sense of national as opposed to ethnic identity.

I've read a number of books written by defectors from North to South Korea. Although the South Provides a resettlement program, which includes subsidies, the refugees from the North are looked down upon. Their education received in the North is ridiculed, and they often need to start from scratch. It is sad, as many in the South have little appreciation of the hardships the refugees endured both in North Korea, often in conditions of semi starvation, and in their journey through China where they were under threat of being returned to North Korea and imprisonment in a camp for defecting.

stevenlee

Rinkside

I think it's fantastic that they're going to do it this way, even if it's only for the Olympics it could still be a step in the right direction. I wish the US would actually take a lesson from that right about now. The whole point of the Olympics is brotherhood between nations. (And we shut down over deporting and building walls - but let's not get into that.)

I'm very sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful post and I believe with all my heart that she'd agree. Thank you for sharing!

"U.S. Vice President Mike Pence is pushing South Korea to adopt a more hawkish stance toward North Korea, as he arrived in the country Thursday ahead of the Winter Olympics."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mike-pence-south-korea-stance-north-korea-kim-jong-un-nuclear-standoff/

How will the North Koreans react? Will they stay or withdraw?

Kim Jong-un has already reacted. He put on a military parade yesterday. Donald Trump is vowing to follow suit with an even bigger parade.

Last edited: