North Carolina recommendations | Golden Skate

North Carolina recommendations

enouement

Spectator
Hi all

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post in but I will be moving to North Carolina next year (around the Durham / Raleigh area). Would anyone have any recommendations for rink / coaches around the area? I’m an adult skater who’s competed in the past (not from USA) and would love to continue my progress on axel and doubles and maybe testing / competing in the US system if my new job allows.

Much appreciated!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post in but I will be moving to North Carolina next year (around the Durham / Raleigh area). Would anyone have any recommendations for rink / coaches around the area? I’m an adult skater who’s competed in the past (not from USA) and would love to continue my progress on axel and doubles and maybe testing / competing in the US system if my new job allows.

Much appreciated

Former Olympic Russian pairs Silver medalist Elena Betchke; and then former US team member Jason Wong are both at Cary Polar Ice.

enouement

Spectator
Amazing thank you. I’m sure they’ll be much too busy for me but that’s a great place to start. As someone who constantly moves around, I’ve always found skating to be a great way of meeting people and making friends. Thanks so much.

icethyme

Spectator
Hi, and welcome to the area! Polar Ice manages all the local arenas. Invisalign is new, Cary is very run down, and the others are in-between. Hockey is incredibly popular and figure skating definitely works around that. (Garner has basically no non-hockey times during the season). I've attached a link to the coach biographies. Kristy runs the figure skating programming and I've found her to be very responsive over email.

enouement

Spectator
Hi, and welcome to the area! Polar Ice manages all the local arenas. Invisalign is new, Cary is very run down, and the others are in-between. Hockey is incredibly popular and figure skating definitely works around that. (Garner has basically no non-hockey times during the season). I've attached a link to the coach biographies. Kristy runs the figure skating programming and I've found her to be very responsive over email.

Oh thank you so much!! Do you have a rough idea of how busy coaches are / how much in advance I should contact them before I move? I’m planning being there about mid next year but with my most recent move it took me ages to find a new coach so I don’t want to leave it too late this time. This is so helpful though - maybe I’ll see you around!

icethyme

Spectator
Oh thank you so much!! Do you have a rough idea of how busy coaches are / how much in advance I should contact them before I move? I’m planning being there about mid next year but with my most recent move it took me ages to find a new coach so I don’t want to leave it too late this time. This is so helpful though - maybe I’ll see you around!
Hi, sorry I don't. I would suggest reaching out to Kristy after the holidays.

scottie99

Rinkside
This probably isn't helpful as it's 2-3 hours from Raleigh, but Extreme Ice Center in Indian Trail, North Carolina is an AMAZING rink with some super great coaches and skaters.

enouement

Spectator
Oh thank you! It probably will be too far but I will try to check it out while exploring the area. I’m excited!