Official Russian Nat teams for 2016 Euros | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Official Russian Nat teams for 2016 Euros

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
So weird not seeing I/Z on the list...since S/K struggled last year, and I/Z struggled this year, maybe next year both teams will be great and we'll get the Elena v. Nikita rivalry we fans deserve.
thats my new year's wish:agree:

The thing is, Mika is adding 4S and Sasha 4T at the Euros. I'm half terrified and half excited about this
I hope Misha at least can beat Kovtun
I can dream!

K/S may not medal tho as previousy mentioned b/c of Savchenko/Massot:sad4: Well at least they made the team & I'm proud!

I'll just leave it here: https://www.change.org/p/оттавио-чи...-леонтьевич-даёшь-ильиных-жиганшина-на-европу

I can understand everything, but this is SO OVER THE TOP, that I can't even formulate my thoughts on this. Mess, hot mess.

P.S. English version of the petition is at the bottom of the page.
lmao my fav what 'How Antonio Najarro's choreo could lose to some bland dance'... & that it "The scores that low are just humiliating to such an amazing choreographer known all over the world."

yeah poor Antonio he won't sleep anymore:think: it was def a personal attack!

Last edited:

matcha

Medalist
I agree with those picks. Some are really harsh like Ruslena staying home for a 1point difference and with finishing 2nd in the FD. But they didn't have a good 1st part of the season that could warranty a spot like for Stolbova and Klimov. So I think it's fair Stepanova and Bukin get to go.
I am really happy for Anna as well. She deserves it!

For Worlds however, I hope they send Liza. As the reigning world champion she should have the right to try and defend her title regardless of how bad her season has been.

I doubt that. Yulia didn't get to defend her Euros title last year.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I doubt that. Yulia didn't get to defend her Euros title last year.

well Liza won't get to defend her Euro title either! That's fine by me.

But I think worlds is different. The world champion should go. That would really be a shame if she doesn't. That would be a loss for the entire competition.
I actually think that should be a rule that the reigning WC gets a bye no matter what for the world championships.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Yay for pairs! Tat and Max have my favorite SP this season and their free skate is definitely not bad at all (the performance here was MUCH improved from Nebelhorn, which is to be expected, but it's very nuanced). Perfect lifts and they look to be getting their speed and flow back. Fedora and Ksenia, if they perform their LP like at GPF, I think they could win. I absolutely love, love, LOVE it (and as many know, Tat and Max are my pair). With these two and Sui/Han, I don't think there's room for D/R and K/S. The quality of the other three are just unmatched.
It is still too early to tell.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
well Liza won't get to defend her Euro title either! That's fine by me.

But I think worlds is different. The world champion should go. That would really be a shame if she doesn't. That would be a loss for the entire competition.
I actually think that should be a rule that the reigning WC gets a bye no matter what for the world championships.
I agree, just like it is at the Olympics: the defending champion is always allowed to compete, the country gets an additional spot.
It always feels weird when the reigning champions are not allowed to defend their titles.

andyjo24

Medalist
I agree, just like it is at the Olympics: the defending champion is always allowed to compete, the country gets an additional spot.
It always feels weird when the reigning champions are not allowed to defend their titles.

Yeah, it definitely feels weird when the reigning champions aren't given the chance to defend their titles.

But still, I don't think Liza deserves a bye to the Worlds just due to her title last season. Like many others, I think it's more fair to have a closed test skate after Euros (if Anna does badly at Euros, which is very possible).

LRK

Record Breaker
It seems that Liza might be going to the Russian Cup final?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seems that Liza might be going to the Russian Cup final?

Same with Yulia although Alexei only said he wants her competing again soon but the event isn't yet decided.

How many events are left? I also think both or maybe at least one of the two girls might wind up at the new WTT event in Washington?

hesaidshesaidxp

Rinkside
Wow, somewhat surprised that they stuck so close to the Nationals result. It's so sad to watch Julia now. She's so talented. Hope that the new coach and training location will help her get back on track. Elena Radionova is really maturing in her skating although she still needs better posture, but she's getting better and better all the time! Can't wait to see what the future holds for her.

LRK

Record Breaker
Same with Yulia although Alexei only said he wants her competing again soon but the event isn't yet decided.

How many events are left? I also think both or maybe at least one of the two girls might wind up at the new WTT event in Washington?

Liza will, if she accepts the invitation. She's first in line - she and Roberta Rodeghiero. The third lady to be chosen by a fan vote from those at Worlds'. (If I understood correctly.)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Nobody didn't "allow" Liza to defend her title. She sadly didn't allow herself the chance to defend it with her performances this season so far.

I'll miss her at worlds too, and I'd like the idea of an additional spot, but since we don't have that, it would be totally unfair to not let those who deserve it more go to worlds. And this season, Evgenia, Elena and Anna IMO deserve it more.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Anna is a lock for Worlds though. Yulia had to compete at Euros before being named to the Olympic team and eventually Worlds. There could be more drama over that third spot. I hope Anna just skates good enough at Euros to earn a spot on the WC team.

The real drama will be if Zhenia sets the "world's greatest score in the world" there. What will the judges do??

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I don't think Anna is a lock for Worlds though. Yulia had to compete at Euros before being named to the Olympic team and eventually Worlds. There could be more drama over that third spot. I hope Anna just skates good enough at Euros to earn a spot on the WC team.

I agree. When it comes to Worlds she's still on the bubble. Evgenia and Elena can afford to be less then brilliant at Euros because they have a whole season of results to back them up, Anna does not. She had one great competition and that's it. Granted it was the most important one of the season so far but still that doesn't erase how subpar/terrible she has been for the rest of the season.

Even if she does medal (and lets face it are there any other ladies that can challenge the Russians?) she still has something to prove. If she performs badly I can see the Russian fed. put someone else on the team over her. The question then of course is who?

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Nobody didn't "allow" Liza to defend her title. She sadly didn't allow herself the chance to defend it with her performances this season so far.
You're nitpicking.
And we no nothing about wether she will be allowed to compete at Worlds, if one of the Russian girls underperforms or gets injured she might be competing.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Huh??? Is this true? I never heard a rule about country's getting an additional spot for a Olympic Champion bye.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I agree, just like it is at the Olympics: the defending champion is always allowed to compete, the country gets an additional spot. ...

Huh??? Is this true? I never heard a rule about country's getting an additional spot for a Olympic Champion bye.

psuanne's post surprised me too.

(A) Do Olympic champs in figure skating really get byes to the next Olympics???

(B) If A is true, is an extra slot really given to the home country of a figure skater who is using the bye at the next Games?

I do not recall anything about skaters receiving byes to Sochi.

Canada did not receive an extra Sochi slot for ice dance -- although Virtue/Moir competed there.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
You're nitpicking.
And we no nothing about wether she will be allowed to compete at Worlds, if one of the Russian girls underperforms or gets injured she might be competing.

I'm not nitpicking, I'm simply disagreeing. You made it sound as if some exterior circumstances are going to be to blame if Liza isn't making it to worlds, and I think it's her own "fault". Just because your the reigning world champ, IMO, you shouldn't be given a bye to worlds over other skaters if you haven't backed it up in the current season.

And while Anna didn't do well at CoC or the NHK LP, neither were disasters. It was the NHK SP that was really bad, but I'd still say her overall season was better than Liza's.
If Anna messes up at Euros, yes, the last world spot might go to someone else... but then it's still not automatically Lizas :confused2:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I know that it's true for alpine skiers, ski jumpers, nordic combined athletes etc. - in alpine skiing each country has 4 spots (athlete must meet the requirements of course, certain results in the world cup are necessary) and the country of the defending champion has 5 spots (1 spot must be the defending champion). I just thought it's true for all disciplines ... but I could be wrong. Anyway, I think it's a good rule. It should be applied at World Championships also, because I think it's good for the sport, the competiton and the fans if the defending champion is allowed to compete no matter what.

I'm not nitpicking, I'm simply disagreeing. You made it sound as if some exterior circumstances are going to be to blame if Liza isn't making it to worlds, and I think it's her own "fault". Just because your the reigning world champ, IMO, you shouldn't be given a bye to worlds over other skaters if you haven't backed it up in the current season.

And while Anna didn't do well at CoC or the NHK LP, neither were disasters. It was the NHK SP that was really bad, but I'd still say her overall season was better than Liza's.
If Anna messes up at Euros, yes, the last world spot might go to someone else... but then it's still not automatically Lizas :confused2:
I don't think I made it sound as if "some exterior circumstances are going to be to blame if Liza isn't making it to worlds". The rules are the way they are and the Russian Fed has every right to send their best athletes of the season to worlds. I just think that the defending champions should be allowed to compete no matter how good the competiton in his/her own country is. It's good for the sport and it's good for the fans.
I think we all agree that any defending champion (I don't mean Tuktamysheva in particular) is able to get in top form within 2 or 3 months. So yes, it will not automatically be Tuktamysheva, but if she's in form the Russian Fed might think that she's the best option.