OutofShapeWorthlessLoser: Gracie Gold | Golden Skate

OutofShapeWorthlessLoser: Gracie Gold

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Outofshapeworthlessloser" - A memoir of figure skating, f*cking up and figuring it out by two-time U.S. National Champion Gracie Gold

Order here!

Please feel free to post your reviews of the book without giving away all the details and spoiling it for future readers :)

Note: This post is sponsored by Penguin Random House.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since she's calling out USFS, Tara and Johnny, and the Russians, among others
It took me 3 days to listen, because it was ....a lot.
I'm not sure whether to spoiler tag things either.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, the book is out in print, audio and e-book formats.

I think if someone clicks on this thread, they would either be willing to read spoilers or have read the book. To me, it would be like reading a thread "XYZ Comp: Ladies' thoughts"; you don't expect the results to be hidden. :)

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Gracie was active before I really got into Women's skating, so I'm not interested in her personally, but is the book any good as a story about figure skating at the time?

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Gracie was active before I really got into Women's skating, so I'm not interested in her personally, but is the book any good as a story about figure skating at the time?

It's a memoir so it's obviously going to be a personal story which involves her experience in skating. I don't know what else to tell you or what you mean.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I have not yet read the book, but I've read some excerpts (and the essay in Elle is very telling. Thanks @moonvine for posting the link in the fanfest). It's heartbreaking. the 'outofshapeworthlessloser' is such a bad way to look at oneself after the hyping up by the media, USFA, etc.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm listening to the Audible download with her narration. Taking it slow and hope to have it done over the weekend. Her discussions about her family dynamics are sad but relatable especially about her twin sister Carly. I'm up to her time working with Frank Carroll. I would recommend the audiobook because it's told with her intonation and dry deadpan humor.

2sk8

Rinkside
I'm listening to the Audible download with her narration. Taking it slow and hope to have it done over the weekend. Her discussions about her family dynamics are sad but relatable especially about her twin sister Carly. I'm up to her time working with Frank Carroll. I would recommend the audiobook because it's told with her intonation and dry deadpan humor.
Thanks for this recommendation. I was considering whether to go audio or print - swaying me to audio. Sadly, nothing about the events or her experiences is likely to suprise me as this is all too common across skating. And, we so quickly villainize (is that a word LOL?) guys, yet many of them experience much of the same in this sport. What saddens me is that only those who have medalled at major events really get to tell their stories - if others do, especially if they have left the sport / stopped competing, they are simply brushed aside as those who weren't "good enough" to "make it." I wish I had the magic prescription to change this, but I don't. :(

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Gracie's memoir is not for the faint of heart. She spills her guts essentially on her home life as a child and then discovering skating and how she progressed through skating, the good the bad and the very ugly. Thank goodness she is in a better and stronger place now.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thanks for this recommendation. I was considering whether to go audio or print - swaying me to audio. Sadly, nothing about the events or her experiences is likely to suprise me as this is all too common across skating. And, we so quickly villainize (is that a word LOL?) guys, yet many of them experience much of the same in this sport. What saddens me is that only those who have medalled at major events really get to tell their stories - if others do, especially if they have left the sport / stopped competing, they are simply brushed aside as those who weren't "good enough" to "make it." I wish I had the magic prescription to change this, but I don't. :(
I still have on my shelves Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters, by Joan Ryan. It was published almost 30 years ago, in 1995, and widely praised, but how much has changed as a result of that book? The author interviewed more than a hundred skaters and gymnasts, some champions but many of whom voluntarily dropped out of their sport or were forced to quit because of injuries and chronic ill-health brought on by what she called "the system of [physical and emotional] abuse". There are probably similar stories in the dance world, particularly in ballet.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean….shes been active for the last several years. Up until 22-23 and won a medal at Philly International and had 3 international assignments. She didn’t medal in any of her international assignments so it’s fair that you don’t know who she is.

As someone else said it’s her story. It goes from when she started skating until now. She has a chapter on the Russians. But she also has a chapter on her boyfriend and her cat.

If you think you might like to read it, I’d advise checking it out from the library. That way you aren’t out money if you don’t like it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still have on my shelves Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters, by Joan Ryan. It was published almost 30 years ago, in 1995, and widely praised, but how much has changed as a result of that book? The author interviewed more than a hundred skaters and gymnasts, some champions but many of whom voluntarily dropped out of their sport or were forced to quit because of injuries and chronic ill-health brought on by what she called "the system of [physical and emotional] abuse". There are probably similar stories in the dance world, particularly in ballet.
I do think gymnastics has changed a lot, primarily due to Simone Biles. She is so very exceptional that she literally can’t be replaced, so she can stand up to USAG and thumb her nose at them. Her G.O.A.T. (Gold Across America Tour) replaced theirs. Literally no one else could have done that. Her family has also opened an elite level gym at which this stuff is not tolerated.

Nothing similar has happened in skating.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I do think gymnastics has changed a lot, primarily due to Simone Biles. She is so very exceptional that she literally can’t be replaced, so she can stand up to USAG and thumb her nose at them. Her G.O.A.T. (Gold Across America Tour) replaced theirs. Literally no one else could have done that. Her family has also opened an elite level gym at which this stuff is not tolerated.

Nothing similar has happened in skating.
I don't watch much gymnastics anymore, but when I do see it, they do seem to look healthier. The author also covered figure skating though, and I didn't hear about a similar reaction in that world, then or since. In some skating centres, yes, but there is still not enough change in general in the rinks as there was in the gyms.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't watch much gymnastics anymore, but when I do see it, they do seem to look healthier. The author also covered figure skating though, and I didn't hear about a similar reaction in that world, then or since. In some skating centres, yes, but there is still not enough change in general in the rinks as there was in the gyms.
I agree 10000%.