Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

snd

On the Ice
yes, i should have clarified that tarasova considered their music inappropriate for the required waltz and that's why she complained. what i quoted is what she said, though. i did not misquote her.

the original version of their sd had contrasts (versatility) and the choreo for the rameau/mozart part was very much in character... but then at worlds, of course, it was all butchered. the fd... as much as i like it, their marks kind of show that it's not just the holds/their absence the judges have a problem with. if they thought the fd didn't deserve more than 8th overall score, then what exactly was so great about this new sd that the judges deemed it worthy of 5th highest score? the judging lacks consistency when it comes to this team.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You had to be there. The SD was skated spot on the beat. The edges were very clean, even in the fast tempo parts. The performance value was amazing.

The free dance did not stand out in the same way.

The judging was not so bad in Boston, but the tech panel was capricious, hard on some dances, and very laissez-faire for others.

It was distressing to me.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Their new version of their SD was my favorite of the competition! That is a great vid, by the way, and the perspective of the British commentaors interesting. If you are a fan of Piper and Paul, do watch this dance!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40ycl7

It was my favorite too, actually- I said this already but it made me desperately wish they'd had it that way all year, it really was something special. I'm glad to hear it was just as great live as it seemed to me on TV :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You had to be there. The SD was skated spot on the beat. The edges were very clean, even in the fast tempo parts. The performance value was amazing.

The judging was not so bad in Boston, but the tech panel was capricious, hard on some dances, and very laissez-faire for others.

damn you tech panel....

those are the ones who gave 4 teams all level4 right ? :laugh2:

i have watched the SD again...

i was a fan of the first version because i thought it was really a cool assemblage of pop and classical music... plus, in the baroque, I thought they captured the essence of baroque dancing very well... it was extremely impressive to me as I have never seen a dance team being so inspired by all kinds of dance.... they are able to do so many different styles. I also love that they don't go into cheese romance fest

So after having watched the new version again : YES... every move was on beat... everything was so clean and perfect, as if the beatles just made things easier on them.

BRAVO... Kudos to Carol Lane and her team. She is truly an interesting creator/coach.

I still love the FD but I wasn't there... so I cannot comment on how it felt live....

I hope that they will keep rising to the occasion and FOR SURE hope that the judges (or the tech panel) will reward them for what they are achieving... their elements are beautiful and inventive...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
4 teams got all level 4's in the SD...:eekn: even more ridiculous,
=> 7 teams <= got all level fours in the FD

Last edited:

snd

On the Ice

interesting insight. am i right in assuming you saw both sd and fd live? i just re-opened the protocols... sd pcs/performance range from 7.75 to 9.25 (8.6x). fd pcs/performance 7.75-9 (8.6x). slight difference in favor of sd, but almost the same... let's say the live performance of the sd stood out more than the fd, but for some reason this was not really reflected in the performance score.

how did you feel about gilles and poirier's fd overall? i only saw videos of the entire event. to me the fd choreo seems somewhat superior to the sd choreo, yet the musicality and merging with the themes of the music was much better in fd. also, there were teams that had either boring or thematically unsuitable choreography and received better fd scores than g/p both in the respective pcs and overall... it is interesting to know how the live perception of this fd might differ from my own internet stream.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are two issues: one is the tech panel, who gave Piper and Paul Level 3 on both step sequences and the spin. That is 4 points right there. 6 of the 7 teams ahead of them got all level 4s. Some of those teams, particularly Cappellini & Lanotte had more than one error that could have been easily have been called, and Hubbell and Donohue and Papadakis and Cizeron had at least one element that had an error. They were extra picky with Piper and Paul and lax with the others. Correctly called, I would have had them certainly ahead of Hubbell & Donohue and Cappellini & Lanotte in the FD.

Cappellini & Lanotte were twelfth to skate, and I did not think well of their performance in any respect, other than their costumes looked good. And then they got higher marks than Virtue and Moir's Carmen in 2013, and just a hair less than Davis and White's Notre Dame de Paris. And I am thinking, whaat the heck are the judges and tech panel doing???.? Those were both amazing performances. This was a rerun of C&L's previous Nino Rota film score FDs, and not performed that well.

Worlds FD 2013
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2013/SEG008.HTM

Worlds FD 2016
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/wc2016/SEG008.HTM

Piper and Paul did not get those type of favors, but they still got personal bests in all categories. Weaver & Poje had a noticeably flawed skate. Andrew looked so sad and deflated in the KnC (I saw him on the Jumbotron), and yet Kaitlyn & Andrew received their best ever FD score.

It was crazy.

As to Piper and Paul's dance, as I said, it did not impress me as much as their SD, but I surely would not have had it as low as eighth.

Some things I noticed:

I found the music droning and kind of repetitive.

They used a number of little hops and jumps in their choreo. The appearance from our seats was that they lost alignment with each other, rather than that they had hopped. If you hop, you have extra difficulty to keep alignment because of the discontinuity of the hop. This is especially noticeable when you sit higher up as we did (mezzanine level).

Some of the extra touches that look cool in the video just looked a little odd or untidy from higher up. This is particularly true of their stationary lift. Paul is down so low to the ice that it was not clear it was a lift and not a spin or choreo spinning movement.

I found the stuff Piper had drawn on her tights just distracting. I kept trying to figure out what the signs/words/whatever were meant to be.

Finally, rather than seeming completely new, it reminded me a bit of an FD Paul did with Vanessa Crone where one was in red, the other in blue, and it seemed to be about making cool abstract shapes, including having references to a British flag, AFAIR, I believe Christopher Dean was involved with the choreo for that piece?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yup... that's how i felt when watching it, and i thought even ahead of weapo in fd due to their mistake on twizzles
There are two issues: one is the tech panel, who gave Piper and Paul Level 3 on both step sequences and the spin. That is 4 points right there. 6 of the 7 teams ahead of them got all level 4s. Some of those teams, particularly Cappellini & Lanotte had more than one error that could have been easily have been called, and Hubbell and Donohue and Papadakis and Cizeron had at least one element that had an error. They were extra picky with Piper and Paul and lax with the others. Correctly called, I would have had them certainly ahead of Hubbell & Donohue and Cappellini & Lanotte in the FD.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
So I'm the only one who didn't like their SD :laugh: Not surprised. I can appreciate the technique, but the dance itself... didn't click with me.

As for judging, I hope ISU will change something, OR we will get a perfect score for mediocre execution at 2018 Olympics. Because Olympics scores are always higher.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
yes, i should have clarified that tarasova considered their music inappropriate for the required waltz and that's why she complained. what i quoted is what she said, though. i did not misquote her.

the original version of their sd had contrasts (versatility) and the choreo for the rameau/mozart part was very much in character... but then at worlds, of course, it was all butchered. the fd... as much as i like it, their marks kind of show that it's not just the holds/their absence the judges have a problem with. if they thought the fd didn't deserve more than 8th overall score, then what exactly was so great about this new sd that the judges deemed it worthy of 5th highest score? the judging lacks consistency when it comes to this team.

I never said you misquoted her, I just really don't think she disliked their SD. In fact, there was even some praise from her.

It's not what judges have problem with, although I'm sure it IS affecting their score. It is what bothers me personally. Too many parallel skating and hand-in-hand simple holds.
They WERE technically imperfect, and for once tech panel decided to NOTICE that. Nothing more, nothing less.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Cappellini & Lanotte were twelfth to skate, and I did not think well of their performance in any respect, other than their costumes looked good. And then they got higher marks than Virtue and Moir's Carmen in 2013, and just a hair less than Davis and White's Notre Dame de Paris. And I am thinking, whaat the heck are the judges and tech panel doing???.? Those were both amazing performances. This was a rerun of C&L's previous Nino Rota film score FDs, and not performed that well.

Worlds FD 2013
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2013/SEG008.HTM

Worlds FD 2016
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/wc2016/SEG008.HTM

Piper and Paul did not get those type of favors, but they still got personal bests in all categories. Weaver & Poje had a noticeably flawed skate. Andrew looked so sad and deflated in the KnC (I saw him on the Jumbotron), and yet Kaitlyn & Andrew received their best ever FD score.

It was crazy.

As to Piper and Paul's dance, as I said, it did not impress me as much as their SD, but I surely would not have had it as low as eighth.

Some things I noticed:

I found the music droning and kind of repetitive.

They used a number of little hops and jumps in their choreo. The appearance from our seats was that they lost alignment with each other, rather than that they had hopped. If you hop, you have extra difficulty to keep alignment because of the discontinuity of the hop. This is especially noticeable when you sit higher up as we did (mezzanine level).

Some of the extra touches that look cool in the video just looked a little odd or untidy from higher up. This is particularly true of their stationary lift. Paul is down so low to the ice that it was not clear it was a lift and not a spin or choreo spinning movement.

I found the stuff Piper had drawn on her tights just distracting. I kept trying to figure out what the signs/words/whatever were meant to be.

Finally, rather than seeming completely new, it reminded me a bit of an FD Paul did with Vanessa Crone where one was in red, the other in blue, and it seemed to be about making cool abstract shapes, including having references to a British flag, AFAIR, I believe Christopher Dean was involved with the choreo for that piece?

I wrote some more stuff while the thread was moving on.

Marta25

Medalist
So I'm the only one who didn't like their SD :laugh: Not surprised. I can appreciate the technique, but the dance itself... didn't click with me.

As for judging, I hope ISU will change something, OR we will get a perfect score for mediocre execution at 2018 Olympics. Because Olympics scores are always higher.

I`m really curious how the scores will develop from on here. P/C nearly reached the ceiling of the scoring system and it used to be pretty tough to get over 110 in the FD, but this year we had 5 teams over 110 and one (H/D) pretty close to it. ISU added a second choreographic movement for the next season, so the maximum FD score is again increasing.

Re Piper and Paul, I really appreciate that they are trying to push the boundaries. I don`t always like their programs, but they are at least committed to what they are skating to.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This may just kind of be a scoring blip, only visible because about 9 teams are going to show as having their best ever scores as 2016 Worlds.

I seem to remember there was a Gpf like that (free level 4's for everyone! come and get them!!)

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I loved their new SD even if some of the choreography in their step sequences were holdovers from the first incarnation and made more sense with the baroque music. I can see why they placed higher than say Hubbell/Donahue in the SD even with H/D took my breath away.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks for sharing your experience of it... from tv it looked great ... judges are at ice level so i'd suspect they get the same angle than camera...

in any case, whatever people think, this team is often the most interesting one!!! keep it up guys!!!!
I wrote some more stuff while the thread was moving on.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, but the judges may have been even more distracted by the drawing on the tights than I was, because they were closer. Sometimes little things can cost you.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol i must the only one on this planet, with Piper, who likes her stockings ;) hahahahahaha
Yes, but the judges may have been even more distracted by the drawing on the tights than I was, because they were closer. Sometimes little things can cost you.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I remember when I went to Skate America when my dad was relieved when I explained that the drawings weren't actually on her skin.