Polina Tsurskaya retires | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Polina Tsurskaya retires

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
Reading Polina's words, I am both happy and sad.

Sad because we won't get to see her compete again, and it was always a pleasure to watch her. She gave us some gorgeous performances, that will remain in my FS fan heart forever. Those beautiful jumps, the elegance and charm, made Polina a special skater in my heart.

But now I am happy because her interview is showing her optimistic approach towards her future. She knows what path is the best for her, is very satisfied with her decision and I am wishing her all the best, to have a successful and happy life. :luv17:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry we won't see her in the upcoming season. :( But I'm happy she is going to university. Good luck in your next chapter, Polina. :)

doublequad

On the Ice
Too bad. Good for her to recognize that she can't combine school and skating (a la Nathan Chen). Very mature decision

starla16

Medalist
wow, the official proof that there will never be a successful skater named "Polina". How many Polinas have all succumbed to the curse ?

rinkside_user

On the Ice
wow, the official proof that there will never be a successful skater named "Polina". How many Polinas have all succumbed to the curse ?

That was super disrespectful and unnecessary. Tsurskaya was plenty successful in the junior circuit, even though many of us wanted even bigger fishes for her. Best of luck to her.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Too bad. Good for her to recognize that she can't combine school and skating (a la Nathan Chen). Very mature decision

I don't know Polina and I'm not familiar with her skating, but much more from the interview I got that she didn't *want* to combine both. Some skaters just don't want to skate competitively any more, and it has diddly boop to do with their results, it has to do with desire.

Polina seems more interested in furthering her education than in any skating career, and I certainly do respect that decision, although I feel bad for her fans. Good for her and best of luck:clap:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I'm very bummed out by this, I really began to enjoy her a few years ago and there certainly are some "what if" moments in her career (looking at you JW 2016). That being said I wish her all the best in the future and may she succeed in whatever she does next. :thank:

starla16

Medalist
That was super disrespectful and unnecessary. Tsurkskaya was plenty successful in the junior circuit, even though many of us wanted even bigger fishes for her. Best of luck to her.

sorry, what I mean with that is her career has been cut short or short lived.

The same with the other Polinas: Edmunds, Agafonova, Shelepen, Korobeynikova. Hence the infamous "POLINA CURSE"

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To bad she's not sticking it out for another few seasons. I think most of these quadsters are going to fall by the wayside when they don't resemble human stick figures and grow.

Warwick360

Medalist
I still wish Polina had gone to Olympics over Sotskova. Truly feel that Polina got overlooked that season.

Sad, but like others, her delayed Triple Lz-Triple toes will be etched in my memory for a long time.

Amei

Record Breaker
I will really miss her big beautiful jumps, even when they were called under, I still think they were magnificent. To retire so young, I think she must have thought out this for a while. I remember the controversy that when Eteri said she has bone related genetic illness in public, her parents came out to say Polina was fine. Now it's confirmed Eteri was not making things up, right? Polina is very tall, but Maria Sotskova is now even taller, who has also been struggling last year. If both were shorter, things may be quite different.

Back injuries rarely go away; it doesn't mean there has to be some genetic illness. The 'controversy' was a coach revealing private medical information about a student; even if it's true that's Polina's illness to share if she wanted to. And the interview that was translated gives me the distinct impression, her retirement has to do with her not wanting to competitively skate anymore and do other things

Sam L

Medalist
Aww Polina. You'll be missed. The height she got on her jumps were incredible. I wish I had seen at the Olympics. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Sad, but like others, her delayed Triple Lz-Triple toes will be etched in my memory for a long time.

They were text book.

moriel

Record Breaker
I don't know Polina and I'm not familiar with her skating, but much more from the interview I got that she didn't *want* to combine both. Some skaters just don't want to skate competitively any more, and it has diddly boop to do with their results, it has to do with desire.

Polina seems more interested in furthering her education than in any skating career, and I certainly do respect that decision, although I feel bad for her fans. Good for her and best of luck:clap:

As her fan, I am sort of happy.
She has some health issues after all, and breaking her body further to win medals would not do her any good. Now, on the other hand, she has all chances to make a great career in a different field.
While I will miss her skating, yes, I am happy that she is well, happy, healthy and moving on.

moriel

Record Breaker
Back injuries rarely go away; it doesn't mean there has to be some genetic illness. The 'controversy' was a coach revealing private medical information about a student; even if it's true that's Polina's illness to share if she wanted to. And the interview that was translated gives me the distinct impression, her retirement has to do with her not wanting to competitively skate anymore and do other things

yep
overall, through her career, she sounded less goal orientated and competitive than some of the other top girls. Even when she was winning, there was a massive difference between the way she talked and the way lets say Medvedeva or Trusova talked.
once her results dropped, it kind of makes sense that she decided to move on.

Scott512

Record Breaker
sorry, what I mean with that is her career has been cut short or short lived.

The same with the other Polinas: Edmunds, Agafonova, Shelepen, Korobeynikova. Hence the infamous "POLINA CURSE"

Of course you meant the Polina curse. Nothing disrespectful. No worries.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I loved every opportunity I got to see Polina skate in person. She was always just on the edge of greatness, no pun intended. Totally the entire package, emotionally in tune with her music, gorgeous movement, beautiful jumps when she could pull them off. She was different. I will miss seeing her go out and compete. Sad that she won't do show skating, either, she was basically made for it. I hope maybe someday she'll reconsider and make special appearances or something.

ETA though that I support her moving on! It takes great depth to reprioritize at 17 and not let others tell you what's best for you. She is a strong girl.