Practice Reports NHK Trophy | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports NHK Trophy

miki88

Medalist
She doesn't look any thinner than in the practice clips shown earlier this year. There was another clip that showed her other jumps and they looked fine to me.

Okami

On the Ice
Also the jumps I have seen of Mao's have either been double footed or underrotated and it isn't just the 3A.

Which ones? The only jumps pass that looked suspicious to me was 3F-2L-2L in once of the clips, but guessing from her outfit she did it at the very beginning of her practice session, while still warming up. The (non-3A) jumps she landed while skating in the black top looked fine, 3L and 2A in particular looked huge with great ice coverage.

ankka

Rinkside
Kiira stated in an interview by a Finnish TV Channel YLE1 that she won't be attempting toe pick jumps (flip and lutz, right?) due to a foot injury she had during the summer. She only started practising those jumps in October so they're not secure enough to be put on the actual programs yet. What a pity. :/

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Back to translating.

Mao Asada
The commentator remarked that her beginning pose differed from that of the last year (Is she keeping the same FD from the last season?) She was not successful of her triple axel jump attempt. However, she nailed triple flip combination jump twice. Apparently Asada is retaining the same jump layouts from the last season.
Yes, she kept last year's FP music (Liebstraum), but the choreography was going to be different. Looking forward to seeing the new program.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Excuse me, The announcers were also talking about Suzuki. They were said that she could be very competitive in this event and be the 1 to prevail. We should not jump to conclusions because either one of them has a good choice at winning. Akiko brings well constructed and choreographed programs that work plus her joy for the sport. Mao has competition here.

By the way I miss Mai Asado, she was a completely different skater from her sister. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ97p7BAxbY

Last edited:

genki

On the Ice
Looks like contradicting requests. If you increase muscle, you gain extra weight.

Yes, but Coach Sato wants Mao to have more power/muscle without gaining weight. I believe what it means is to reduce more fat and gain muscle instead so that there is no change in weight. Oh man, it seems to be impossible, reducing more fat form the current Mao?
I am afraid she will stop menstruate.

jChamp

Rinkside
Yes, but Coach Sato wants Mao to have more power/muscle without gaining weight. I believe what it means is to reduce more fat and gain muscle instead so that there is no change in weight. Oh man, it seems to be impossible, reducing more fat form the current Mao?
I am afraid she will stop menstruate.

But muscle is heavier than fat....her look worries me too :disapp: I still hope she pulls through and wows everyone, though!

Morning Glory

On the Ice
practice report of today

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/channel/live/show/winter/484

really brief translation

ladies, 1st group
Shoko 2t-1t, 3f, 2a

Agnes 3t-3t, 3lz(step out), 2a

Mae She did only 2a. Her piano music is simple.

Ashley 3lz-2t(double tano), 3lo. She looks in good shape.

Elene 3lz-2t, 3s, 2a. Her 3lz is high, leaning though.

Commentator said all skaters focused on skating, not jumps.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
2nd group,

Cynthia 1a, 1lts, just running through

Mao 2a, 3f-2lo, 3lo. She finished with beautiful biellmann spin.

Kiira Over the rainbow. 3t-3t (2 footed), 2a

Alena only did 1a and last 2 spins.

Akiko 3t-3t with good speed. She fell on 3lz. 2a turned into 1a. Her step was in good speed.

Commentator noted Mao practiced her combination, Akiko practiced 3lz but again leaning.

Mao wore purple Arabian pants. Kiira's costume was brilliant yellow.

ADD:Mao's costume
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aC55Wt7UQ4XE/x610.jpg

Last edited:

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Mens practice report of today

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/channel/live/show/winter/485

1st group

All skaters but Menshov used free music.

Miner 1a, 3a-2t, 3lz, 3lo-2t-2t, 3lz-2t, 3lo, 2a, 1f

Machida 3t, 3a, 3lo, 1a, 3lz, 1f, 3lz(2 footed), 3s-2lo

Armin fell on 4t, 3a (not clean), 3lz, 3lo, 3a (step out), 3lz-3t( 2 footed ), fell on next jump (not specified what jump), 2a

Menshov half axel, 3t-2t, 3lz (not clean)

Commentator noted Machida and Miner practiced 3A, Armin did combination jumps. Miner did 3-3s again and again. Armin's jumps were unstable. Miner seemed OK.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
2nd group

Only Contesti used SP music

Contesti He didn't jump. He did steps with facial expressions.

Kozuka 3t, passed next 3a, 3lz-3t, 3a-2t-2lo, 3f, 1lo, 3s, 3lz-2t. His jumps seemed to be good.

Takahashi Passed Quad, 3a, 3s, 1a, 3f-3t

Mroz 4lz ( hand down, but looked rotated ), nearly fell on 3a, 2a, 1a, 3lz-1lo-2s, 1lz.

Tomas 3t, 2f, 2lo, 3a, 1a, 3f

Commentator noted Takahashi and Kozuka tried Quads. Kozuka managed to land some Quads. Takahashi tried 4f again and again but fell many times ( slightly underrotated ).

Sorry my English!

Okami

On the Ice
Re: Mao's weight - I think you are misinterpreting Sato's words. I don't think he wants Mao to lose even more body fat (in fact he was worried when Mao gad stomach problems and lost too much weight before Worlds). I think he simply wants Mao to increase her core muscle strength without growing too bulky.

There was an article posted a few years ago about Joannie Rochette's off-ice training. Her (new at that time) physical trainer talked about how Joannie's training before she switched to her went wrong; Joannie worked out too much and gained too much muscle mass, which negatively impacted her balance and flexibility. According to the trainer, they had to work on reducing Joannie's muscle mass so that her musculature would be more fitting fr a figure skater - and it was actually very difficult.

This issue was also mentioned in fluffs about Nobunari Oda and Takahiko Kozuka - both of them, Nobunari especially, had to work out a lot to gain enough power to land a quad. Takahiko was actually quite wary of working out - a few years ago (before he started practicing quads) he stated that he didn't want to work out at a gym because he was afraid he'll turn into a "muscle man". :laugh:

Morning Glory

On the Ice
It's a little hard to tell from this picture, but I'm a little relieved--I was afraid she would show up in a really hideous outfit (like her Worlds one)!

umm... I saw other photoes (sorry, I could not post them), and I don't like her costume. It's like a bad version of her Araddin Ex. I know I have to wait until she skates wearing it, though.