Practice reports | Golden Skate

Practice reports

ewdokia

On the Ice
Since we have great entries here: anyone attending practices and willing to share her/his impressions? :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Since we have great entries here: anyone attending practices and willing to share her/his impressions? :)

I'm with you. I am really excited to hear how all these great skaters are looking. This is really a big pre-season event.

Franklin99

Medalist
https://youtu.be/ZsEt-IdCoBc

A very brief practice video of Mao doing her FS. The choreography looks good! I am excited!

P.S. Mao said she will NOT be doing 3A here.

I think that's a smart move on her part. This event is the best opportunity for to test her program with easy jump layouts so she can make the necessary adjustments needed to improve her overall performance...all while not pushing herself too hard or too fast.

TMC

Record Breaker
I just checked, and yes there will be a live stream!

I don't know where and how it will work, but there will be one.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just checked, and yes there will be a live stream!

I don't know where and how it will work, but there will be one.

Yay! Except, the stream is unwatchable for me, it is migraine-inducing! It's as if the image keeps switching between now and half a second in the past, it just keeps on flickering, very weird. :-(

Alternate (direct) link for streaming, in case it helps:

FWIW:
I am in the U.S. and the streaming at both links worked fine.
Sorry that Winnie was having problems.​

ETA:
Caveat .... this channel (still embedded on the Finlandia page) intermittently showed some stuff completely unrelated to skating (as far as I could tell).
Right now, it is back once again to men's practice at Finlandia.​

Last edited:

wanpe

On the Ice
Yay! Except, the stream is unwatchable for me, it is migraine-inducing! It's as if the image keeps switching between now and half a second in the past, it just keeps on flickering, very weird. :-(

Apparently I'm having the same issue here in the UK :(

TMC

Record Breaker
The stream is run by a (large) group of students. Event volunteers are teaching them what to shoot and how. People are excited about developing a new crop of directors who know not to focus on the skaters' feet :laugh:

wanpe

On the Ice
The stream is run by a (large) group of students. Event volunteers are teaching them what to shoot and how. People are excited about developing a new crop of directors who know not to focus on the skaters' feet :laugh:

Ahh that sounds really sweet! Hope they enjoy the experience :hap10:

TMC

Record Breaker
Apparently I'm having the same issue here in the UK :(

I'm in the arena and it's the same for me...I'm sure they know what's wrong and are working on it. If it doesn't change, I'll talk to them.

wanpe

On the Ice
I'm in the arena and it's the same for me...I'm sure they know what's wrong and are working on it. If it doesn't change, I'll talk to them.

That is very kind of you :thank:
I also can't wait to hear your first hand report :luv17:

TMC

Record Breaker
That is very kind of you :thank:
I also can't wait to hear your first hand report :luv17:

I'll write a report tomorrow! I managed to talk my sister-in-law into coming with me today, I can't wait to hear her comments as this will be her first time seeing figure skating in person. She's American but she's lived in Finland for I guess around 20 years. So far her impression of figure skating has been "looks nice, but they aren't wearing enough clothes" :laugh2:

I don't see her often but when I do I usually make her watch some skating. So far she's been very impressed by Elena & Ruslan's Carmen.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Nothing going on right now. Pairs cometition at 8 AM (11 EDT), Ladies at 10 AM (1 PM EDT) and Mens at 12:50 (1:50 PM EDT).

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nothing going on right now. Pairs practice at 8 AM (11 EDT), Ladies at 10 AM (1 PM EDT) and Mens at 12:50 (1:50 PM).

Today's practices already have concluded.

Don't understand your conversions to EDT???

ETA, thanks to TMC :bow: for all your eyewitness information/comments.

Last edited: