Prettiest Medals? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Prettiest Medals?

kaarle

Rinkside
I loved those at GPF 2013. I clearly remember doing aww at them during the medal ceremony. WTT has pretty awesome ones as well.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Not exactly about medals, but about Vancouver 2010, I liked the medals, but the flower bouquets were horrible, like romaine salads in a wrap.

Imagine

Medalist
^Well they are athletes after all. They need something healthy to balance out those potato chips.

Franklin99

Medalist
Not exactly about medals, but about Vancouver 2010, I liked the medals, but the flower bouquets were horrible, like romaine salads in a wrap.

^Well they are athletes after all. They need something healthy to balance out those potato chips.

Someone in Vancouver clearly had lunch/snacks on the brain when designing the medals and bouquets. :laugh:

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
That is awesome--thank you so much for sharing that story!

I'll be honest- I wasn't as impressed when I saw them first. However, after reading about this (and hearing it from my mom) made me appreciate the great work that went to the 2010 Olympics more.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Best medals:
1) Sochi - They had the best combination of diameter, thickness/chunkiness, sheen, mostly metal with a slight bit of unique glass showing through.

2) Lillehammer - Almost as good as Sochi but not quite shiny enough because of the rock in the middle.

3) NHK - I like the cute ribbon bow and the unusual flower bouquet.

4) Torino - The hole has grown on me over the years and props for being extra large and shiny.

Worst medals:
1) World championship medals - way too small. The medal is almost smaller than the ribbon! And the poor junior skaters' medal is only like an inch wide. For such an accomplishment the medals should be bigger. I know it's tradition but still don't like it.

2) Salt Lake - looks like a lumpy muted mess.

3) Vancouver - a large misshapen blob, but at least a bit shinier than Salt Lake

4) Albertville & other glass medals - not enough metal to be a medal

Last edited:

RABID

Final Flight
I definitely like the Sochi 2014 medals alot, especially the gold and silver

Not a fan of the 2010 OG medals though. I do like the Aboriginal engravings. It gave each athlete a unique design to treasure but the hammered look it has just irks me. Still, its "wavy-hammered" style gave the medals another dimension of wonder as it gave them this water surface-like look....which I really like :confused2:
I was able to see and hold both 2010 and 2014 gold medals. Maybe it is because of that that I think they are both very beautiful. I love that they have substantial weight and a craftsmanship to them. You know you are holding something special when you have them in your hands.