Prettiest Medals? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Prettiest Medals?

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Sochi 2014 had the most beautiful medals....Torino 2006 had nice ones too. Makes me wonder *** happened with Vancouver 2010? Are they metal potato chips?

Agreed. Vancouver's were bad, although I hated Torino's as well. Whenever they were awarded I thought they looked like DVDs though I liked how the neck ribbon was integrated into the medal.

I loved the incorporation of the goddess Nike onto the Salt Lake City medals, which is reminiscent of the summer medals but I hated the design overall.

My favorite were the Lillehammer medals: https://ncweb.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/media_file/file_name/1143/embed_medals1357223863.jpg

A granite base with either a gold, silver, or bronze finish. The Olympics rings on one side and a picture for each of the different sports on the other side inspired by Norwegian cave tracings. (The design for figure skating is the medal at the very top in the picture above.)

mawamasha

Rinkside
ISU Championships medals are quite ugly! They're small and they don't give the idea of a big accomplishment, so I feel they need a major change. Outside the figure skating/Winter Olympics medals that have been mentioned, I found the medals from 2015 European Games and 2015 World Gymnastics Championships quite beautiful. The medals from 2014 (Summer) YOG also look nice!

lyndichee

Medalist
I loved the Sochi medals. This is one of my favourite photos of Meryl and Charlie using them as glasses:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ksLOYgjEay/?taken-by=meryledavis

I don't think Vancouver was bad, just too simple. I did not like Salt Lake Medals. Turin for some reason reminds me of a slice of pineapple.

I definitely do think World Medals need more significant weight and style to them. Those medals look the same as the $4 a piece medal I can order in large quantities for my high school volleyball tournaments.

Also kind of sad that Canada has an unspoken history of Aborginal and Native abuse yet each time we need some sort of cultural signficance we default to their culture (2010 and 1988 medals). But that is besides the point of this thread.

Giselle

Medalist
Agreed. Vancouver's were bad, although I hated Torino's as well. Whenever they were awarded I thought they looked like DVDs though I liked how the neck ribbon was integrated into the medal.

Thank you! So many people seem to love the Torino Medals I thought they looked awful and reminded me of donuts :laugh:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thank you! So many people seem to love the Torino Medals I thought they looked awful and reminded me of donuts :laugh:

We always see the medalists munching on their medals. It's a mixture of the confusing shape and the strict diet they are on leading up to the Olympics. :biggrin:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I love Vancouver medals because they're simple and minimalistic. And this is my favorite photo :) :) I'm not a fan of "busy" looking designs. Although the potato chip comment is quite hilarious. LOL
Sochi medals are pretty too. Sochi design in general was the best I've seen. I've used it as inspiration in my own design works sometimes.

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
I don't think Vancouver was bad, just too simple.

I agree. Compared to the other medals, it was just way too plain. :disapp:

Now that I think about it, I didn't pay much attention to the medals in the ceremonies. Thanks to this thread, I can see the medals and they all do have creative designs. I'm pretty amazed to see that sometimes countries are not always "recycling/reusing" medal designs. Probably the medal that stood out to me the most while watching a medal ceremony (the ones that actually made me glance at only them for a minute) were the Sochi ones, because those were really well-made. Well done! :clap:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In terms of Olympic medals, I agree with a lot of you that the Sochi ones are probably the prettiest.

And I really like the idea they had in Lillehammer of having a picture of the actual sport the medal was being awarded for. Although, I am not too sure that I could have worked out of my own accord that that particular design represented figure skating... :slink:

Like everybody else, I agree that the medals the ISU award for their championships are embarrassingly small.

Getting onto the podium at a sporting competition is a great achievement. It is something that all athletes dream of doing, and it is something to be proud of if you achieve it. And the medal is supposed to be a lasting symbol of this great achievement.

When you show somebody your medals, the reaction is supposed to be "Wow! What an achievement! Well done!". But, when you see the ISU medals, the reaction is more like "Is that it?! You gave it your all, and all you got was that?!"

It is almost as if the ISU are saying to the athlete that getting onto the podium is not a great achievement, but is only a small achievement. That all the effort they put in does not matter.

For me, an ISU medal should be big, chunky and heavy. And made of metal. But, if it is not made of the metal it is supposed to be (gold medals would be pretty expensive, and we don't want to bankrupt the ISU!), then at least it should be the same colour!

One year SkateAmerica decided to abandon the round tradition all together and award rectangular medals. http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/374772/slide_374772_4375680_compressed.jpg

What kind of medal is that. :laugh2:

That isn't a medal! That's more like a plaque that you would stick to the base of a trophy! :laugh:

Two words come to mind: cheap looking.

Not the message the USFSA wants to be sending out. :disapp:

Back when the big French international was Trophee Lalique they had some beautiful glass medals and trophies. I think Lalique is a glass company. I couldn't find a pic of the medals, but here's one of their awesome trophies. Don't drop that Plushy!!. http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/27...caf3hTKIg2/6KVJBDnlbCGjwokSb4Rs9C28B3VoeP4EEK

Yes, Lalique is a glass company, founded by René Lalique. And older Lalique pieces are in demand and make good money. (It's amazing what you can learn from watching "Bargain Hunt" while having your dinner!)

And while we are on the subect of glass trophies, is it just me, or does anybody else think that the leader of the single-season World Rankings should be presented with a Crystal Globe like they do in ski sports?

Here is Anna Fenninger holding the "Big Globe" for winning the overall 2014-15 FIS Women's Alpine Skiing World Cup:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...ystal-globe-for-the-title-picture-id467237196

And here is Darya Domracheva holding the "Big Globe" for winning the overall 2014-15 IBU Women's World Cup:

http://eng.belta.by/uploads/lotus/news/000028_B9EFD136B739457543257E110023D682_342620.jpg

Personally, I prefer the size and shape of the FIS trophy. But I hate the design of the globe itself. It looks stupid having what can only be described as "blobs" on the globe. I much prefer the design of the globe on the Biathlon version of the trophy. At least it has the continents engraved on the globe!

So, if the ISU were to introduce a Crystal Globe, I would like it to be the size and shape of the FIS trophy, but with the globe of the IBU trophy.

Given their past association, and the prestige of being associated with something like this, I reckon Lalique would be willing to make it.

Failing that, then the maker of the FIS or IBU versions might. Or maybe even the maker of the London Masters trophy that the snooker players are currently playing for (Waterford Crystal).

But, if the ISU can't go to the bother of handing out decent medals for their championships, I can't see Crystal Globes being introduced. :disapp:

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I like these trophies for Russian Junior Nationals :luv17::

http://www.fsrussia.ru/news/1715-pr...edi-yuniorov-vruchat-kubki-v-forme-konka.html

I loved the Vancouver medals.... maybe because they made sense to me as someone who has seen the beauty of BC landscapes, the waves of the Ocean, the snowy mountains... and is aware of aboriginal art... here's an article about them http://www.mint.ca/store/news/vanco...=600004&nodeGroup=About+the+Mint#.VpSQvfH8--4 ...

I love Vancouver medals because they're simple and minimalistic. ...

:agree: I too loved the Vancouver medals.

One of my friends won a silver in Vancouver. I've worn it quite a few times and it looks very pretty on me :biggrin:

:cool:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Sochi's was gorgeous. Albertville looked pretty and cheap at the same time because it was like 90% glass, reminds me of a GP medal lol. I also like Lillehammer's since each medal featured a picture of their sport.

Didn't like 2010 and 2006's. Reminds me of party snacks, "potato chips" :biggrin: and doughnuts. And 1984's was just a rock. :palmf:

ETA: Forgot about those dingy quarter sized World "medals" :dev2: Why can't these WORLD CHAMPIONS get respectable sized medals like those in FIFA, Hockey and even speed skating? The world medals are so tiny it doesn't even have any weight to it and the ribbon just sits so weird on the skater's neck :palmf:

Last edited:
I guess in this worlds everything have to be bigger and more expensive...

ISU medal are perfectly fine, beautifully reminding the tradition of FS and anyway, the title is important, not the medal.

I always loved the Nagano medal and Turino's. Vancouver were fine but I agree with the person saying it's a potatoe slice. The most awful were SLC, just "watch how big our b*lls are, this is the biggest olys medal ever, booooooooorn in the USA" etc. Disgusting.

I found Albertville's ugly and cheap. Actually during the dance medal ceremony (the country was behind the screen litterally) the speaker Roger Zabel says it's made of plexiglass... How cheap. He says it twice until Anne Sophie de Kristoffy reminds us it's actually Lalique's crystal. https://youtu.be/AsYHd_zIxZI at 2:50 and 3:00.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess in this worlds everything have to be bigger and more expensive...

ISU medal are perfectly fine, beautifully reminding the tradition of FS and anyway, the title is important, not the medal.

I always loved the Nagano medal and Turino's. Vancouver were fine but I agree with the person saying it's a potatoe slice. The most awful were SLC, just "watch how big our b*lls are, this is the biggest olys medal ever, booooooooorn in the USA" etc. Disgusting.

I found Albertville's ugly and cheap. Actually during the dance medal ceremony (the country was behind the screen litterally) the speaker Roger Zabel says it's made of plexiglass... How cheap. He says it twice until Anne Sophie de Kristoffy reminds us it's actually Lalique's crystal. https://youtu.be/AsYHd_zIxZI at 2:50 and 3:00.

I understand the title is more important, but the thing is that the proportion of the medal size to the size and thickness of the ribbon is pretty off.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Honesty speaking, I've never seen any pretty medals from Winter Olympics yet. I just liked seeing medalist enjoy their moments of life on the podium. The Sochi medals look like broken pieces due to the inclusion of transparent glass and the thunder shape (reminded me of "Harry Potter's scar"), so not really give me an impression like "wow, it is a glorious Olympic medal to boast". The Torino medals are my least favorite one, because they look like enlarged ancient Chinese coins and the seize is too big. The Vancouver medal designs are too simplistic and the irregular shape is far from my taste as well. I hope our next Olympics have better medal designs, but at the same time I don't have any big expectation either. I can find my favorite ones from Summer Olympics instead.

Last edited: