Quad Twists and Throws in Pairs... Where Did They Go? | Golden Skate

Quad Twists and Throws in Pairs... Where Did They Go?

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
from what I could recall those that did quad throws and twists did not think the point differential was worth the effort or risk as compared to the differential between triples and quads in singles. anybody have insights from ISU on the rationale for how they came up with the base values for the quad throws and twists - is it to discourage skaters to do it?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They went because the point system did not reward them, which you already know, so the question in your header was answered.:)

*Why* did the ISU re-assign the points? That is a different question, and I do not know.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Of course, I am not an ISU decision maker.. if I were, the sport would be way different :rofl:

But it seems logical that the risk versus reward system in IJS shapes the sport... Lowering the BV of quads in pairs sent a strong message to pairs that the ISU wanted to see clean, beautiful and safe skating.

However, considering what we have seen this year in pairs, there is actually very little of that ... so mission accomplished? NO.

As a matter of fact, it makes only sense in theory that lowering the level of difficulty would create progress in the sport.... Raising the technical demands pushes everyone's mastery of elements upwards. Many skaters have said that getting their quads helped their triple axels for instance. Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford worked very hard on a variety of difficult throws and jumps. They raised the bar. It helped everyone to push themselves to achieve bigger better things. Right now, pairs seem to only be pushing the SBS jumps with those 3-3 combos (with or without Eulers) ... I like SBS jumps but I find throws and twists much more exciting to watch and of course, why level down on elements only pairs can do ? It is quite disappointing to still see Throw 3S so commonly tried in seniors when it's one of the first throw triple achieved by junior skaters...

Bring back the quads !

Last edited:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I like SBS jumps but I find throws and twists much more exciting to watch and of course, why level down on elements only pairs can do ? It is quite disappointing to still see Throw 3S so commonly tried in seniors when it's one of the first throw triple achieved by junior skaters...

Bring back the quads !
I agree. Of the numerous skating disciplines, ice dance is the only one that doesn't jump (even synchro jumps for features though it's not common). But only pairs do twists and throw jumps (synchro too, but no one does it), so why is that the thing they're not giving points to?????