R.I.P. Olympia - Library opened in honor | Page 6 | Golden Skate

R.I.P. Olympia - Library opened in honor

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I was wondering where she was after not really having time nor interest in much of who remains skating. She truly avoided conflict. Every quote for her beloved fave Mao was followed by a Nice comment for Yuna. I'd smile as she always did that knowing the rivalry got intense. I must admit I was hoping for diversion tonight and now my heart is broken again.

It seems she had many off forum friends here as she was so knowledgeable. I assumed she was a teacher in NYC. I can't help but wonder what she'd think of so many newbies and like all of you I feel gutted. Condolences to her family and all the gs posters who miss her deeply. She was a brilliant woman. Rip.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, thank you! In that way Olympia will be even more part of her Library - I just checked and saw that the last post in that thread was actually hers. It almost makes me cry - but both in a sad and a good way. I'm sure she would be happy to know about the Library...

Alba

Record Breaker
A forum has been added in honor of Olympia called the "Library" where you can introduce and discuss your favorite books. Let the book clubs begin! Olympia loved reading and I'm sure she will be smiling down from above and looking forward to each post.

That's a lovely idea.
Thank you very much.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Oh this makes me so sad! Olympia was one of my favorite posters, always. I admired her eloquence, enthusiasm, good humor, gentility, generosity of spirit, and gentleness.

I had no idea she was a figure in children's literature in addition to being such a passionate advocate of our sport.

I must say also that all of the gorgeous comments about Olympia here from our "tribe" have really touched me. Thanks to all for sharing your memories, your feelings, and your appreciation for Olympia.

This is a day to feel proud and lucky to be a member of this wonderful Golden Skate community. Olympia would be delighted by the camaraderie she has inspired.

and as a writer and former English professor, I am especially delighted to hear about this Library board for book ideas. Wonderful!

Thank you, everyone, for your beautiful remarks.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Thank you Doris and Mathman and other Administrators for creating this tribute to an incredible woman- a living tribute, as it were, because by sharing our feelings and enthusiasm about various books with each other, we will be carrying on Olympia's traditions and interests and passions and having just the kind of dialogue she would most enjoy and approve of!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Thank you for this! A marvelous idea. I passed this info. on to her work colleagues and I know that they are touched by the response on our board.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
A lovely fitting tribute to Olympia, thank you!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you for this! A marvelous idea. I passed this info. on to her work colleagues and I know that they are touched by the response on our board.

That's great, Scrufflet! Believe it or not, I was thinking about suggesting it to you via PM -- glad you beat me to it! :clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I had no idea she was a figure in children's literature in addition to being such a passionate advocate of our sport.

She posted occasionally about it - mentioning really in passing... I think mostly mentioned it in threads in Le Cafe.

She was always fascinated by things people would post that she'd only read about while working at her job (like my Iditarod posts, for example). She was never unwilling to learn. I hope we all take a few pages from her book (pun somewhat intended) and keep learning, growing, and accepting.

prettykeys

Medalist
Oh this makes me sad. Olympia was one of the kindest and most enthusiastic posters I have met on any forum.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Perhaps the library could be expanded to include movies or plays/musicals. Like most of us she enjoyed all the arts. Or will that dilute it? She usually partipated in any movie thread if she saw the film.

Olympia was 63 and I am wondering and feeling a bit upset as to the cause. Maybe it has been ,entioned on an earlier page. Would it be too indelicate to ask if any poster who was her friend in NYC who knows the cause?

I also had an idea for Ziggy or a forum for any poster who passes away. Ziggy did these wonderful reviews in the comp folders and then gave his opinion. I learned a lot because he knew his skating, the technique, etc. Maybe we could have in memory of Ziggy a forum that is seasonal where a GS poster volunteers to list the technical content, how it turned out (edge call etc) then did a summary). I liked that Ziggy did this and though some would disagree he held his ground.

Does anyone feel we should have a forum for all posters who pass away? It seems like a frequent poster who disappears could be mentioned in GS post," where are they now?????" I was wondering about a couple other posters but they seemed young so I did not assume death.

Whether the person is the soul of discretion and very diplomatic or fiery in their opinion, I feel all are deserving of the memory section like at the Oscars. This makes me think of how upset I was when Robon Williams died. I think he too was 63 and millions mourned him.

Clearly many feel the loss of Ziggy and Olympia who loved music as well. I am in favor of the "Library" being discussions of other cultural media to include more people and make it a success. These are just suggestions and I'm happy with whatever admin decides. It's a nice idea. I want to believe that Ziggy and Olympia have already met in heaven and they have requested to see the best skating of their favorites. And in seconds God says well here is John Curry as a child in practice and Olympia and Ziggy get to watch all the stuff only God and their teachers saw.

One more suggestion I myself don't know how to do. She really adored Mao and Dai I think above all others. I wish someone would tell them one of their biggest American fans have passed. I am sure this forum is well known to all the big pro skaters. I remember when Mirai referenced a quote and mentioned "goldenskate lady.: It was cute.

I don't do facebook or twitter not do I go to their fan pages. I don't want to have to join to make a comment but I know both being retired now and maybe hearing less from fans they'd be touch to now of Judy/Olympia who absolutely adored their skating and them as people. If anyone does social media and knows the appropriate place, it would be wonderful to get a response from Mao or Dai on behalf of Olympia.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for starting the Library. It's a wonderful tribute to Olympia and a great place for us "readers" to hang out.

BlackPack

Medalist
I do agree with skateluvr that the Library can be more like a Salon where artists hang out - a place to discuss art, music, media, philosophy, literature, life, etc.