Replacing skates for the first time? | Golden Skate

Replacing skates for the first time?

swansongs

Spectator
to preface, I’m 17, 110 lbs/50 kg, and I’ve been skating for just under a year (private and group lessons). I’m working on singles, and I’ve landed my waltz, flip and a shakey loop. all of this was on Jackson Excels, and my coach didn’t recommend that I replace them until I was working on my axel, but she wants me to now because they’re causing all the issues you’d expect from a too-soft boot and mediocre blades. I’m going to see a good fitter as soon as my dad can drive me, but it might not be for a week or so and ordering skates (either from the shop or from eBay, my coach offered to track down some gently used skates in whatever brand and size ends up working best) will also take some time. should I be careful about skating in my current skates in the mean time? I’m really nervous about injuring my ankle on jumps, and even my spins tend to be off-center and difficult to hold because along with being soft, my skates are just a bit too loose no matter how tight I tie them. I can’t skip group lessons but I’m wondering if I should be limiting what I’m doing and possibly avoiding long skating sessions until I get new skates.

also, my coach said that if I end up fitting Edeas, she’d want me to get Concertos as Choruses wouldn't last me very long. it looks like that’s roughly the equivalent of Jackson Elites or Risport R3s in terms of price at least. I’m sure I can get good advice when I make it to the skate shop, but I’m wondering if any of you have input on whether this could be overbooting? I have an axel off-ice and my jumps have pretty good height, if that matters wrt what level of support is appropriate. thank you all in advance!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
to preface, I’m 17, 110 lbs/50 kg, and I’ve been skating for just under a year (private and group lessons). I’m working on singles, and I’ve landed my waltz, flip and a shakey loop. all of this was on Jackson Excels, and my coach didn’t recommend that I replace them until I was working on my axel, but she wants me to now because they’re causing all the issues you’d expect from a too-soft boot and mediocre blades. I’m going to see a good fitter as soon as my dad can drive me, but it might not be for a week or so and ordering skates (either from the shop or from eBay, my coach offered to track down some gently used skates in whatever brand and size ends up working best) will also take some time. should I be careful about skating in my current skates in the mean time? I’m really nervous about injuring my ankle on jumps, and even my spins tend to be off-center and difficult to hold because along with being soft, my skates are just a bit too loose no matter how tight I tie them. I can’t skip group lessons but I’m wondering if I should be limiting what I’m doing and possibly avoiding long skating sessions until I get new skates.

also, my coach said that if I end up fitting Edeas, she’d want me to get Concertos as Choruses wouldn't last me very long. it looks like that’s roughly the equivalent of Jackson Elites or Risport R3s in terms of price at least. I’m sure I can get good advice when I make it to the skate shop, but I’m wondering if any of you have input on whether this could be overbooting? I have an axel off-ice and my jumps have pretty good height, if that matters wrt what level of support is appropriate. thank you all in advance!
Hi and welcome! Yes, your boots are too soft and I suspect your blades are not doing well either at this point.

First of all, don't get boots off of ebay. Secondly, why is your coach fitting you for Edeas when you wear Jackson? Do your Jackson not fit well or something other than you being in a too soft boot that's overworked?

Look at Jackson Elite 5300...no other Elite boot though, because they are too stiff and high rated for you right now. The 5300 though is rated for doubles so not so bad, esp if you'll be going to them soon. But honestly, you only really need a Jackson Premiere Fusion right now, that will take you into doubles and be okay for your first few doubles, and is perfect for where you are in skating for at least the next year or so I'm guessing.

As far as Risport, you're kind of between the electra and the RF3. And I guess you could go into the RF3 if that boot worked for you and then you'd be in them for a long time, into your triples. Pair them with an intermediate blade: Either MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace.

I would not honestly go for Edea, but if you fit a Jackson so well and possibly fit a Risport, Edea won't work for your foot. Edea also fits different at the ankle and if you don't like the loose ankle feeling, that brand is not for you. Feel free to have a fitter try you in one if they feel it's ok after measuring etc your foot but I highly doubt it's going to be an option brand for you, Chorus will be more than enough for you in that brand btw, for awhile.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

Last edited:

swansongs

Spectator
Hi and welcome! Yes, your boots are too soft and I suspect your blades are not doing well either at this point.

First of all, don't get boots off of ebay. Secondly, why is your coach fitting you for Edeas when you wear Jackson? Do your Jackson not fit well or something other than you being in a too soft boot that's overworked?

Look at Jackson Elite 5300...no other Elite boot though, because they are too stiff and high rated for you right now. The 5300 though is rated for doubles so not so bad, esp if you'll be going to them soon. But honestly, you only really need a Jackson Premiere Fusion right now, that will take you into doubles and be okay for your first few doubles, and is perfect for where you are in skating for at least the next year or so I'm guessing.

As far as Risport, you're kind of between the electra and the RF3. And I guess you could go into the RF3 if that boot worked for you and then you'd be in them for a long time, into your triples. Pair them with an intermediate blade: Either MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace.

I would not honestly go for Edea, but if you fit a Jackson so well and possibly fit a Risport, Edea won't work for your foot. Edea also fits different at the ankle and if you don't like the loose ankle feeling, that brand is not for you. Feel free to have a fitter try you in one if they feel it's ok after measuring etc your foot but I highly doubt it's going to be an option brand for you, Chorus will be more than enough for you in that brand btw, for awhile.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)
thank you, this is very helpful! I was hoping you'd reply since I always see you give good advice to newer skaters. my coach isn't convinced I'll fit Edeas, but she wants me to try a few different brands in the skate shop because I didn't go to get fitted when I bought my current Jacksons-- I just measured my foot using the instructions the brand gave, and bought the closest fitting size (7.5) off of Amazon. I'm probably lucky that they didn't cause more trouble, and they've really been pretty comfortable for long skating sessions, but I'm definitely noticing issues with looseness in the toe box, around the ball of my foot, and on the ankle. I honestly doubt that Edeas will fit my narrower feet and ankles well based on how other skaters have described them, but I figure it doesn't hurt to try. I'm in the Chicago area and there's a skate shop north of here (Rainbo Sports) that has a good reputation, so I trust that when I go to get fitted I'll end up in a boot that fits me well. thank you for your advice on specific boots, I really don't want to end up overbooting especially when it'll already be such a big transition from my soft Excels to Elites, Electras, RF3s, or whichever skate ends up fitting best. I'm really excited to finally feel safer jumping as high on the ice as I do off-ice!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
thank you, this is very helpful! I was hoping you'd reply since I always see you give good advice to newer skaters. my coach isn't convinced I'll fit Edeas, but she wants me to try a few different brands in the skate shop because I didn't go to get fitted when I bought my current Jacksons-- I just measured my foot using the instructions the brand gave, and bought the closest fitting size (7.5) off of Amazon. I'm probably lucky that they didn't cause more trouble, and they've really been pretty comfortable for long skating sessions, but I'm definitely noticing issues with looseness in the toe box, around the ball of my foot, and on the ankle. I honestly doubt that Edeas will fit my narrower feet and ankles well based on how other skaters have described them, but I figure it doesn't hurt to try. I'm in the Chicago area and there's a skate shop north of here (Rainbo Sports) that has a good reputation, so I trust that when I go to get fitted I'll end up in a boot that fits me well. thank you for your advice on specific boots, I really don't want to end up overbooting especially when it'll already be such a big transition from my soft Excels to Elites, Electras, RF3s, or whichever skate ends up fitting best. I'm really excited to finally feel safer jumping as high on the ice as I do off-ice!
If I had known you were in Chicagoland, Rainbo is where I would have suggested for you, definitely go there and get a pro fitting. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
:)

swansongs

Spectator
If I had known you were in Chicagoland, Rainbo is where I would have suggested for you, definitely go there and get a pro fitting. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
:)
I went there yesterday and Stephanie was so helpful! she fitted me in the Jackson Debut and Risport RF3s which were really comfortable, though unfortunately they only had a 7 in the Debuts and I was a 7.5, and the RF3s were C width while I was a B. Still, they felt so good, tons better than the Excels-- they felt like an extension of my foot!! I'm already dreaming of being able to skate in them, I'm so excited. Stephanie said she'd call Monday when she knows if the RF3s are in stock, and can tell me how long each of them would take to order since I could go with either and the Debuts may take slightly longer since they ship from Canada. I was planning to get the CoroAce blades once I know for sure which boots I'm getting, but my coach suggested the Jackson Protege blades, saying that the toe picks are better and they'll be good for my skill level. I may still go with the CoroAce though, especially if Rainbo has a discounted pair since Stephanie said she may have one.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I went there yesterday and Stephanie was so helpful! she fitted me in the Jackson Debut and Risport RF3s which were really comfortable, though unfortunately they only had a 7 in the Debuts and I was a 7.5, and the RF3s were C width while I was a B. Still, they felt so good, tons better than the Excels-- they felt like an extension of my foot!! I'm already dreaming of being able to skate in them, I'm so excited. Stephanie said she'd call Monday when she knows if the RF3s are in stock, and can tell me how long each of them would take to order since I could go with either and the Debuts may take slightly longer since they ship from Canada. I was planning to get the CoroAce blades once I know for sure which boots I'm getting, but my coach suggested the Jackson Protege blades, saying that the toe picks are better and they'll be good for my skill level. I may still go with the CoroAce though, especially if Rainbo has a discounted pair since Stephanie said she may have one.
Glad it went well for you. As far as blades, please do the CoroAce and NOT the Protege, the CA is so much better and the rocker is not flat like the Protege, plus as you advance it will set you up to move up one day in JW blades. And if it were me, I'd go with the Risport RF3. I don't know why you were fit in a Jackson Debut Fusion when they aren't stiff enough. I suggested the Premiere Fusion.

Good luck! :)

swansongs

Spectator
Glad it went well for you. As far as blades, please do the CoroAce and NOT the Protege, the CA is so much better and the rocker is not flat like the Protege, plus as you advance it will set you up to move up one day in JW blades. And if it were me, I'd go with the Risport RF3. I don't know why you were fit in a Jackson Debut Fusion when they aren't stiff enough. I suggested the Premiere Fusion.

Good luck! :)
thank you! I found out last night that the RF3s are in stock in my size, so we ordered them and with any luck we can pick them up within the week! and I'm planning to go with the CoroAce blades, even though my coach has been pushing me to get the Proteges, because the people at Rainbo already disagreed with her on the RF3s (she said they'd definitely be too stiff for me and recommended the Jackson Entres... Stephanie said the RF3s would definitely NOT be overbooting and when I tried them on they felt great, and the Entres I tried on just felt underwhelming and not very comfortable compared to them). when I suggested the CoroAce when I got fitted I was told they'd be good for me, so I'm not planning to change to a worse blade just because the toe picks are supposedly better. I've gotten to a point in my current skates where I can't get my leg over in my scratch spin when it's just fine off ice, so needless to say I'm very ready to have better blades.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
thank you! I found out last night that the RF3s are in stock in my size, so we ordered them and with any luck we can pick them up within the week! and I'm planning to go with the CoroAce blades, even though my coach has been pushing me to get the Proteges, because the people at Rainbo already disagreed with her on the RF3s (she said they'd definitely be too stiff for me and recommended the Jackson Entres... Stephanie said the RF3s would definitely NOT be overbooting and when I tried them on they felt great, and the Entres I tried on just felt underwhelming and not very comfortable compared to them). when I suggested the CoroAce when I got fitted I was told they'd be good for me, so I'm not planning to change to a worse blade just because the toe picks are supposedly better. I've gotten to a point in my current skates where I can't get my leg over in my scratch spin when it's just fine off ice, so needless to say I'm very ready to have better blades.
:rock: Let us know how it goes when you get them!!