Rika Hongo | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Yes, good luck Rika! I'll be watching and cheering. :pray:

surimi

Record Breaker
Rika was fantastic yesterday. Loved her performance, and for me, she was light years ahead of Sotskova and Chen in about everything except for spins. Hers was the program I enjoyed the most out of all the ladies. Good luck and firm nerves in the free today, Rika!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
She was just awesome in the short program... I really love this version of the music especially with the female vocals which added delicacy to an otherwise powerful often overwhelming piece... Frida is up next!!! Good luck Rika!!

Alifyre

On the Ice
Had a totally clean runthrough in practice just now! My eyes aren't the greatest for catching URs at speed but none of her jumps looked under today either! Rooting for Rika!!

surimi

Record Breaker
Better late than never, I just wanted to congratulate Rika on two solid programs. The scoring wasn't what I hoped for, and judging by Rika's expression on TV, neither was it what she'd hoped for. But the programs themselves were lovely, and one of my favorites this year. Keep up the good work, Rika!
Just in case anyone's interested, here are some photos I took of Rika at the medal ceremony at Nepela trophy in September: https://imgur.com/a/sNbg5 Not stellar quality, I'm afraid, but I did my best.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Better late than never, I just wanted to congratulate Rika on two solid programs. The scoring wasn't what I hoped for, and judging by Rika's expression on TV, neither was it what she'd hoped for. But the programs themselves were lovely, and one of my favorites this year. Keep up the good work, Rika!
Just in case anyone's interested, here are some photos I took of Rika at the medal ceremony at Nepela trophy in September: https://imgur.com/a/sNbg5 Not stellar quality, I'm afraid, but I did my best.

I honestly always feel bad for Rika at the K&C, she comes off the ice smiling and pleased with her performance and then she looks like she's choking back tears when she sees her scores. Her UR problem isn't as bad as it once was to my untrained eye, but this tech panel was brutal... It must be discouraging to constantly get lowballed like that, even the BESP commentators are usually surprised by how low her scores are. I really have to commend her for continuing to push and skate even when she's not getting scores she's happy with, you can see her love and passion for the sport on the ice. Hopefully she can pull together for a score she can smile over at her next GP, go Rika!

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Rika's FS is easily my favorite of the competition and she is my favorite of the Japanese ladies due to her attack and determination and her obvious love of the sport. :love: One of my very favorite soundtracks ever because I adore Frida Kahlo's art and her force of will to live life on her own terms despite physical difficulties in an impossible time and place. Rika has done superb justice to Frida's life and work seeming to my eyes to tell this woman's story with reverence and respect. I love the music cuts, the skate itself, her movements, and the dress, hair.. all exquisite detail. Rika's delivery could use a bit more snap and fire which may come later, but she sure does have every element right so far IMO. Bravo Rika!!! :clap: :clapper:

surimi

Record Breaker
Alifyre and Elbkup, this is exactly how I feel about Rika. In Bratislava, I told her I loved her skating in Japanese to make sure she understood. It makes me happy to see a number of others appreciate her and consider her their favorite Japanese lady. I just hope she knows how loved she is by fans! Hopefully that helps her remain motivated and gives her strength. I wish she'd continue skating after this season... has she touched this subject in any interviews? I don't remember.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Ahhh I'm so proud of Rika today, she nailed her SP at NHK. She was so powerful, so passionate, so dedicated to the strong music that I couldn't tear my eyes away from the screen and even the (BESP) commentators couldn't help but sing her praises. I still think she was underscored, but in 4th place after the likes of Medvedeva, Kostner, and Tsurskaya I think she is definitely making a statement not to count her out! I'm heartbroken the olympics probably won't happen for her, but I'm low key praying she can bring the same energy from today to the FS and maybe eke out a medal here. Gambatte Rika!

surimi

Record Breaker
^ Amen to that. I loved her step sequence in particular, it was the best I've seen by her this season. Finges crossed she is composed and goes clean tomorrow. Good luck, Rika!

firal

Record Breaker
So proud of her! Love her dress, she looks gorgeous in red and the details on the shoulder. I love how confident she seems throughout the skate. She said before the competition that she always wanted to compete in NHK cup and is rare to get a chance to do so, so I am so happy that she is able to have a good showing in front of the home crowd! Good luck in the FP!

surimi

Record Breaker
Rika had a very nice LP. She fell, but didn't let that deter her and she kept fighting. The judges are clearly not yet convinced, but she did all she could. She is challenging her posture issues, and her spins could use some more speed, but her musicality and consistency this season are impressive, and her programs suit her to a T. Great job so far.

klutzonice

Rinkside
I just want to see Rika skate for as long as I live... maybe it's just me?
I love her endearing presence and unique style on the ice and she always sells her programs despite any errors. Her step sequences are always well choreographed and she jumps big too. I also feel that she's a very hard worker - tanos aren't my favourite thing, but she is challenging herself in tech and she's working on her posture as well.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I thought Rika looked more beautiful than ever on the ice. The whole way she approaches skating and her programs and presence are wonderful. She's perpetually under-scored, but I hope, not under appreciated by the spectators. :luv17:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Standing ovation at the end of her FS says it all. My favorite ladies FS... programs that move me the most usually remain in my memory, rarely medal winners. Rika stands out IMHO because she is brave, passionate and gives 150% and her countrymen certainly appreciate these qualities in her and her skating! :clap: :hap57:

Alifyre

On the Ice

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Wonderful! Have you considered putting it on instagram? Rika has before liked art done of her that she's tagged in if I recall correctly! I bet she would love to see such amazing work from a fan!

Thanks! glad you like it, I may add her and other artworks to instagram.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Congratulations to Rika for breaking 70 for the first time ever in the short program at Nationals!! She really brought her A game and attacked that program from start to finish! It clearly meant a lot to her too, there were a few tears of joy in the Kiss and Cry. She got a standing ovation too! I saw in another thread that Rika isn't gunning to go to four contintents, she wants to try for the olympics! It may be a bit of a long shot for her, but I love her fight and I hope she brings just as much energy to her lovely Frida program on Saturday in the free!

(A link for anyone who didn't get to watch it live)

klutzonice

Rinkside
I was just about to post similar sentiments! When she skates with passion (which she always does) she makes my heart warm. Soooooo good to see her break 70 points and I'm so pleased to see her overjoyed :hap10: