Rika Kihira to add Brian Orser as her secondary coach | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira to add Brian Orser as her secondary coach

gotoschool

Medalist
My guess is it will be permanent, there are rumours that Canadian borders won't open before Spring 2021 and I personally don't think it is a great idea to switch coaches during the Olympic season, it involves a lot of risks.
I agree. Plus, Rika took pictures outside in the fresh air in the Alps in the sunshine where she wasn't forced to physically distance or wear a mask or in the rink either I think, which is wonderful for her mental and physical health especially in such a majestic natural environment with beautiful lakes, rivers and the Alps nearby. It seems and I hope that she has found a refuge of relative stability and freedom in training. Stephane Lambiel is also known for being really artistic in exhibitions and for being close to Mao who Rika really admires. Mao even went to Lambiel's Ice Legends in 2016 instead of the team event. So, maybe this was another consideration in Rika's change.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

via google translate

According to European media such as Russia, the name of the Russian emperor has emerged as a new coach to replace Mr. Orser. Evgeni Plushenko (37), who stood at the top of nine times in total at the Olympics, World Championships and GP Finals. Currently, he runs skating classes in Russia, mainly in Moscow, and is working hard to train the next generation of top skaters, mainly juniors.

Kihei is currently communicating with Mr. Plushenko of Moscow through online such as SNS and receiving specific acting advice.

Kihei has been whispering a feud with coach Mie Hamada, who has been instructed for a long time, due to a disagreement over the practice method. It is said that the reason why the coach was changed from Canadian to Russian this time is because he prioritized overcoming the challenges, although it was influenced by the corona wreck.

Kihei is improving his jumping and skating skills by succeeding in the quadruple salchow, which is said to be difficult for girls to practice in the off-season. On the other hand, there remains a problem with expressiveness, which is said to be inferior to overseas players. The aim is to improve his level by studying under Plushenko, who used his expressive power to express emotions as a weapon when he was active.

Can the Russian coach's guidance destroy the Russian stronghold? :wink:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I seriously doubt Rika would want to move to Russia and train with Plushenko permanently particularly right now considering the surge in Moscow. I was thinking there was a possibility she had looked into training with him a short period just to try it which Plushenko was blowing all out of proportion but if he's actually implying she'd want to train with him to work on artistry, not tech? Yeah, I'm gonna call nonsense on that, she's got all the artistic guidance she needs from Lambiel at the moment with significantly reduced chance of catching the virus in Switzerland.

readernick

Medalist
It is true that what Rika might lack: 100% confidence that she is the best, Plushenko always had. He could raise his arm ( doing nothing at all in terms of transitions) and make you believe ( through his own self belief ) that he was doing something amazing on the ice. Rika does amazing choreography and complicated transitions, but perhaps she doesn't always do so with confidence that she is fabulous and special. (honestly, no one else has Plushenko level confidence/ Dani G on occasions perhaps 🤣 ) Some remote coaching in on ice confidence couldn't hurt. As far as moving to Plushenko to train fulltime, I think that is a terrible idea. There would be too many changes, and not enough time to adjust before the Olympics.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Rather, it will destroy the best Japan figure skater, and maybe this is a clever plan : biggrin:
Yes, probably you are right. He is untalented plus a devil. :LOL: But it seems he said the reality and the skaters in Russia and in other countries have different opinion.

Dogo

On the Ice
^^ This makes her a great human being that cares for the mental health of her fans 😌