Risport Electra for adults? | Golden Skate

Risport Electra for adults?

eri

Spectator
Hello! :)

I've been getting into figure skating and would consider myself a beginner. I'm quite short at 5 foot 5 and weigh approximately 70kg.

I went to a local skate centre asking for some assistance choosing my first pair of skates and they presented me with some options to choose from.

I decided to go with the Risport Electra blacks because they felt the most sturdy out of them all but when I researched online about them afterwards I saw people mentioning that these skates aren't meant for adults and would cause trouble for those on the heavier side.

I'm curious to know your thoughts, do you think this will be an issue?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! :)

I've been getting into figure skating and would consider myself a beginner. I'm quite short at 5 foot 5 and weigh approximately 70kg.

I went to a local skate centre asking for some assistance choosing my first pair of skates and they presented me with some options to choose from.

I decided to go with the Risport Electra blacks because they felt the most sturdy out of them all but when I researched online about them afterwards I saw people mentioning that these skates aren't meant for adults and would cause trouble for those on the heavier side.

I'm curious to know your thoughts, do you think this will be an issue?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Hi and welcome! First of all, what is your gender? Black boots are generally worn by male skaters.
Secondly, 5'5" (again dependent on gender) is tall in skating (well for ladies that is).
With your weight stats, Electra is going to be too soft.
You need to be fit by a figure skate professional fitter who will trace and properly measure your feet and tell you if risport is even a proper brand for your feet.

eri

Spectator
Hi and welcome! First of all, what is your gender? Black boots are generally worn by male skaters.
Secondly, 5'5" (again dependent on gender) is tall in skating (well for ladies that is).
With your weight stats, Electra is going to be too soft.
You need to be fit by a figure skate professional fitter who will trace and properly measure your feet and tell you if risport is even a proper brand for your feet.
Thanks so much for your response!

I'm male. I will look into seeing a professional fitter, so happy to know they go that in depth.

Do you reckon they would be too soft at 65kg as well?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks so much for your response!

I'm male. I will look into seeing a professional fitter, so happy to know they go that in depth.

Do you reckon they would be too soft at 65kg as well?
Yes, and if you tell us where you are we can suggest a proper fitter.
Also, if you let us know about your foot shape (greek, egyptian, roman, etc) and if your arches are (low, normal, high, very high) I can suggest boot brands/styles that may work for you.

Good luck!

Reactions: eri

eri

Spectator
Sure, I'm in West London and I have Greek feet with bordering low arches.

In case this is any use, they're 25.5cm long and with widths of 23-24cm (circumference).

Thank you so much again for your help!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sure, I'm in West London and I have Greek feet with bordering low arches.

In case this is any use, they're 25.5cm long and with widths of 23-24cm (circumference).

Thank you so much again for your help!
Greek feet low arches you want to look at Graf and then Jackson as your main brand.

Last edited:

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Black boots are generally worn by male skaters.
I think in 2023 (nearly 2024!) we can all agree that boot color shouldn’t be determined by gender or sex. I know a handful of female presenting skaters who choose to wear black boots, and I’ve seen kids of all genders in white skates (especially the littlest ones). 😉

Heck, my skater group was recently arguing about which colors we’d go with for custom, and I don’t think a single one of us mentioned white or black as our (money is no object, go crazy) choices. Although pink, purple, and blue were all thrown out as options.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think in 2023 (nearly 2024!) we can all agree that boot color shouldn’t be determined by gender or sex. I know a handful of female presenting skaters who choose to wear black boots, and I’ve seen kids of all genders in white skates (especially the littlest ones). 😉

Heck, my skater group was recently arguing about which colors we’d go with for custom, and I don’t think a single one of us mentioned white or black as our (money is no object, go crazy) choices. Although pink, purple, and blue were all thrown out as options.
I wasn't being sexist or gender prejudice here, b/c I'm the one of the first for gender forwardness in sport, as a former elite I have friends in the sport and out of it that are of all gender identities

I just stated the general known colors that you can get stock boots in. Also, in (especially higher) competitive skaters you don't see the situation you described. I wouldn't have any kind of issue if it was a thing, but at this point it's not much of one. :shrug:
I also needed to know this b/c some stock boots come in one color and not the other and if the black is chosen, many times it is a higher stiffness rating than the white one.

Last edited: