Boot Upgrade - Risport Electra Light or RF3 Pro’s? | Golden Skate

Boot Upgrade - Risport Electra Light or RF3 Pro’s?

aline.

Spectator
Hey everyone :)
I’m 24 and started skating last winter. I’ve been wearing the Graf Tango as a beginner boot up until now (which come with a mounted Graf blade) and want to upgrade my boots for the new season.

I train 2-3 times a week and just started working on my Salchow and Scratch Spin. I can do the Waltz and Toe Loop.

For reference:
My feet are quite wide in the front, although my heels are narrower and I have flat arches.
I’m 153cm / 5ft and I weigh 47kg / 103lbs.
I want to get a supportive boot for my level that won’t break down easily.

During the summer when my rink was closed, I got the Risport RF3 Pros (Size 240, C width) with a Snowwhite frame to practice off ice. I also tried on the Chorus but preferred the fit of Risport.
I really liked the ankle support and stiffness of the RF3 boot and planned on getting the boot for the ice as well, paired with MK Pro blades. That’s until I recently got on the ice again with the Graf Tango and now the RF3 suddenly seemed very stiff when I would skate with them off ice.

There are also a few problems I have with the RF3 Pro:
  • Even though I already got them punched out to make them wider, it starts hurting after an hour
  • When standing without moving, they start hurting and I feel like my foot shifts a bit forward
  • Sometimes I feel that my heel is not properly secured and lifts in the boot
  • Relacing - I feel the need to relace constantly, either because it‘s too loose or to tight in certain areas (maybe I just need to figure out a better technique?)
They are heat molded but the pro molded them manually with pressure between his legs. The Tango was molded in a pressure machine. Maybe there‘s a difference in the fit?

Now I’m not sure if the RF3 would be too stiff for me and if I should go with the Electra Light instead. Although I‘ve heard that the Electra is a beginner boot for adults and it can get broken down quite easily. I‘m not sure how the Graf boot levels in stiffness compared to the Electra. They told me it should be in between the stiffness of Edea Overture and Chorus (?).

There’s such a difference in the stiffness of the two, so I’m a bit afraid of under- or overbooting with either one.
I purchased each pair (Tango & RF3) at two different professional skate shops in my area and got them fitted and heat molded, although both shops specialize more in Ice Hockey than Figure Skating (they are knowledgeable but it’s not their expertise).

That’s why they can’t help me which boot to choose, as they told me it’s up to my preference. Unfortunately there are no other Pro Shops in my area.
I also asked a few coaches and skaters at my rink but it seems that everyone has a different opinion / tells me just to go to the fitter.

Which one should I chose or do you have other boot recommendations for me?

Thank you for reading! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey everyone :)
I’m 24 and started skating last winter. I’ve been wearing the Graf Tango as a beginner boot up until now (which come with a mounted Graf blade) and want to upgrade my boots for the new season.

I train 2-3 times a week and just started working on my Salchow and Scratch Spin. I can do the Waltz and Toe Loop.

For reference:
My feet are quite wide in the front, although my heels are narrower and I have flat arches.
I’m 153cm / 5ft and I weigh 47kg / 103lbs.
I want to get a supportive boot for my level that won’t break down easily.

During the summer when my rink was closed, I got the Risport RF3 Pros (Size 240, C width) with a Snowwhite frame to practice off ice. I also tried on the Chorus but preferred the fit of Risport.
I really liked the ankle support and stiffness of the RF3 boot and planned on getting the boot for the ice as well, paired with MK Pro blades. That’s until I recently got on the ice again with the Graf Tango and now the RF3 suddenly seemed very stiff when I would skate with them off ice.

There are also a few problems I have with the RF3 Pro:
  • Even though I already got them punched out to make them wider, it starts hurting after an hour
  • When standing without moving, they start hurting and I feel like my foot shifts a bit forward
  • Sometimes I feel that my heel is not properly secured and lifts in the boot
  • Relacing - I feel the need to relace constantly, either because it‘s too loose or to tight in certain areas (maybe I just need to figure out a better technique?)
They are heat molded but the pro molded them manually with pressure between his legs. The Tango was molded in a pressure machine. Maybe there‘s a difference in the fit?

Now I’m not sure if the RF3 would be too stiff for me and if I should go with the Electra Light instead. Although I‘ve heard that the Electra is a beginner boot for adults and it can get broken down quite easily. I‘m not sure how the Graf boot levels in stiffness compared to the Electra. They told me it should be in between the stiffness of Edea Overture and Chorus (?).

There’s such a difference in the stiffness of the two, so I’m a bit afraid of under- or overbooting with either one.
I purchased each pair (Tango & RF3) at two different professional skate shops in my area and got them fitted and heat molded, although both shops specialize more in Ice Hockey than Figure Skating (they are knowledgeable but it’s not their expertise).

That’s why they can’t help me which boot to choose, as they told me it’s up to my preference. Unfortunately there are no other Pro Shops in my area.
I also asked a few coaches and skaters at my rink but it seems that everyone has a different opinion / tells me just to go to the fitter.

Which one should I chose or do you have other boot recommendations for me?

Thank you for reading! :)
Hi and welcome! first of all, you need a real figure skating pro fitter, so if you would let us know where you are in the world, we can help you out with that.
Secondly, I'd suggest you try Risport Royal Pro on. Otherwise, with a wider toebox and flatter arches, I'd suggest Jackson to you. Those are the only two brands that I would suggest to you. For Jackson look at Premier 2800 or you could do the rapid custom Synergy Elite (this would allow you to choose the sole, tongue etc that you prefer and might get you a better fit.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Good luck! :)

aline.

Spectator
Hi and welcome! first of all, you need a real figure skating pro fitter, so if you would let us know where you are in the world, we can help you out with that.
Secondly, I'd suggest you try Risport Royal Pro on. Otherwise, with a wider toebox and flatter arches, I'd suggest Jackson to you. Those are the only two brands that I would suggest to you. For Jackson look at Premier 2800 or you could do the rapid custom Synergy Elite (this would allow you to choose the sole, tongue etc that you prefer and might get you a better fit.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Good luck! :)
Thank you for the reply! :)
I‘m from Nuremberg, Germany.

I’ll definitely look into Jackson Premier 2800 and the Risport Royal Pro. (The Synergy is a bit over my budget)

Can I ask what‘s the difference between the RF3 and the Royal pro?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for the reply! :)
I‘m from Nuremberg, Germany.

I’ll definitely look into Jackson Premier 2800 and the Risport Royal Pro. (The Synergy is a bit over my budget)

Can I ask what‘s the difference between the RF3 and the Royal pro?
Different materials, different feel/fit. Some like one or the other.

As for a good fitter near Germany I'm going to refer you to @emilinkaa for that, she knows them better out there! :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It's absolutely normal that the RF3 will feel a lot stiffer than the Graf Tango, as the Tango is a boot aimed at the recreational skater and isn't stiff enough for you now. You need a stiffer boot or you risk injury.

You also need to see a proper fitter.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Hey! I am in Munich, and a lot of people are happy with the shop here. They sell RF3s, and it’s easy to pop down with the Deutschland Ticket. You could also try Dresden, Frankfurt, or Innsbruck (no personal experience, but I’ve heard mostly good things about all 3). I went to Blade Runners in St Pölten, but that’s quite the trip. Happy to chat via PM as well. (Deutsch geht, aber English is my first language.)

Friday

Rinkside
Just have to add that for Frankfurt, there is one great guy and one mehh one, try to call beforehand and make an appointment with them one the phone (instead of online).
If you mention that you have strange feet and problems with boots (even if not) you will have most likely the good guy as the fitter. Also, please know that they like to sell adults ice flys (wasn't the case fro me though).
Be aware that the not-so-great-guy will apparently sometimes fit adults in Antares.

And for Innsbruck (even if I doubt you will go there, there are definetly closer options for Nürnberg), call and really insist that you get fitted be the person who normaly works with the figure skaters - otherwise you will experience hockey skaters trying to sell you too soft boots (and Edea, even though you mentioned that they will likely not fit you and they still don't).

I think for most fitters in Germany, one has to know what they want ;)

Last edited: