Russia Doping Report

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Russian Athletes Part of State-Sponsored Doping Program, Report Finds

Complete report

Russia faces world athletics expulsion when doping report is published

INTERPOL supporting French investigation into athletics corruption

IAAF STATEMENT

In response to WADA's Independent Commission report issued today, the IAAF President, Sebastian Coe, has taken the urgent step of seeking approval from his fellow IAAF Council Members to consider sanctions against the Russian Athletics Federation (ARAF). These sanctions could include provisional and full suspension and the removal of future IAAF events.

Commenting on the report, the IAAF President said: "The information in WADA's Independent Commissions Report is alarming. We need time to properly digest and understand the detailed findings included in the report. However, I have urged the Council to start the process of considering sanctions against ARAF. This step has not been taken lightly. Our athletes, partners and fans have my total assurance that where there are failures in our governance or our anti-doping programmes we will fix them. We will do whatever it takes to protect the clean athletes and rebuild trust in our sport. The IAAF will continue to offer the police authorities our full co-operation into their ongoing investigation.

Edit.

In the report, chapter 13, also talks about:

The reported presence of the security services (FSB) within the laboratory setting in Sochi and at the Moscow laboratory, actively imposed an atmosphere of intimidation on laboratory process and staff, and supported allegations of state influence in sports events.

The direct interference into the laboratory’s operations by the Russian State significantly undermines the laboratory’s independence.

Page 13

The Moscow laboratory is not operationally independent from RUSADA or the Ministry of Sport. Its impartiality, judgment and integrity were compromised by the surveillance of the FSB within the laboratory during the Sochi Winter Olympic Games.

Page 196

“[L]ast time in Sochi, we had some guys pretending to be engineers in the lab but actually they were from the federal security service, let’s call it the new KGB; FSB.”

Page 209
WADA provided the Moscow laboratory with a deadline to ensure that corrective actions regarding the ISL non-compliance were completed. The WADA disciplinary committee agreed to give the laboratory until 30 May 2013, to implement the corrective action. Despite being given extensions by WADA, on 19 July 2013, the required corrective actions had still not been implemented.

This led to further disciplinary action against the Moscow laboratory with potential loss of accreditation. It is understood by the IC that despite the substandard performance of
the laboratory, there was a distinct desire not to revoke the accreditation of the laboratory prior to the Sochi Olympics. A temporary solution was, therefore, reached for the period of the Olympics, with further actions to be approved by the WADA Laboratory Committee following the Games. Such remedial actions remained uncompleted well after the established deadline.

Page 212
The Moscow laboratory is not operationally independent from RUSADA or the Ministry of Sport. Its impartiality, judgment and integrity were compromised by the surveillance of the FSB within the laboratory during the Sochi Winter Olympic Games.

Last edited:
I think it is pretty well established that all track and field athletes take performance enhancing drugs. The reason why is simple. If you do, your performance will be enhanced and you will win. If you don't, your performance will not be enhanced and you will lose.

I don't know if it is any worse that the government is in on it, as opposed to the U.S. model where it's every athlete for him/herself.

I remember a famous quote from an American weight lifter who was about to go up against the Russian champion in the Olympics. "Now we'll see once and for all who has the best pharmacists!!!"

moriel

Record Breaker
Yup, everybody does it.
And figure skating is not mentioned even once, so maybe goes into a different forum?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Yup, everybody does it.
And figure skating is not mentioned even once, so maybe goes into a different forum?

They mention Sochi, and the possibility of stripping all medals from last Olympics from Russian athletes.

moriel

Record Breaker
They mention Sochi, and the possibility of stripping all medals from last Olympics from Russian athletes.

Still no FS mentions.
As for stripping medals, i wish it was just plain fair and all dope medals were stripped. But nah, just usual politics.
Its like FIFA, it can steal all it wants, once it doesn´t give a cup to USA, the **** gets ugly.

TSLDave

On the Ice
Still no FS mentions.
As for stripping medals, i wish it was just plain fair and all dope medals were stripped. But nah, just usual politics.
Its like FIFA, it can steal all it wants, once it doesn´t give a cup to USA, the **** gets ugly.

There are many skaters who swear this is a problem in figure skating. (And not just with the Russians.)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Thanks @cruzceleste for posting. We've waited for this report a long time. The report seems to say what was expected, so nothing new really. And now we'll have to wait and see how many athletes will be banned, how many medals will be taken away and if indeed Russian athletics will be banned from the next Olympics in Rio.
@Mathman: I agree, there are certain sports were the benefits of performance enhancing substances or methods are huge. But that doesn't mean that athletes or trainer from other sports where the benefits aren't so obvious might not be tempted also.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
This is awful. Really. The only positive thing out of this: goodbye Mutko!

moriel

Record Breaker
There are many skaters who swear this is a problem in figure skating. (And not just with the Russians.)

Exactly =)
I´m ok with it as long as everybody in equally investigated.
For example, make suspect any USA analysis because it was somehow overviewed by CIA?

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker

Can you please provide more information. I've heard about possible doping in figure skating only twice, and it was long time ago.

moriel

Record Breaker
Just to correct, in figure skating, in Sochi, no one complained that USA ladies and men and pairs earned no individual medals. They did not skate well enough to earn them.

The judging issue is different from doping issue though. I rather have each one investigated separately.

But yeah, there will be just another round of "Russia is the Evil Empire", instead of a fair investigation. And a lot of witch hunt on this forum for sure. Just waiting how long it takes for people to start saying "dope" for every russian skater medal.

Snow63

Record Breaker
And also, I don't see a reason to disqualify the whole team. As far as we know, there are only runners and walkers who're under suspicion, so why technical disciplines' athletes should be punished too?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The 325-page review by Dick Pound, the former World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) president who has spent 11 months looking into claims of systemic cheating and cover-ups within Russian athletics and the sport’s governing body, is expected to call for remedial action against its athletics federation.

Investigation should be made on all athletes and governing bodies, not just one specific nation because of claims. Targeting one country is just political and penalizing all their athletes is grossly unfair and outrageous injustice.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Really? Interesting to know.
We know from the doping reports from Eastern Germany that the only sports without a doping program there was sailing. They used a wide range of substances for their figure skaters, especially psychotropic drugs, growth inhibitors and steroids.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Still no FS mentions.

The three members of the WADA commission are two Canadians and a German.

This is not about the USA at all.

TSLDave

On the Ice
Really? Interesting to know.
We know from the doping reports from Eastern Germany that the only sports without a doping program there was sailing. They used a wide range of substances for their figure skaters, especially psychotropic drugs, growth inhibitors and steroids.

Skaters have stories of skaters being given pills in the locker room, certain skaters not being drug tested, growth inhibitors, etc. I just mention this because though skating is not a stereotypical sport where one would be given steroids, there are skaters speak about unusual experiences.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think it is pretty well established that all track and field athletes take performance enhancing drugs. The reason why is simple. If you do, your performance will be enhanced and you will win. If you don't, your performance will not be enhanced and you will lose.

I don't know if it is any worse that the government is in on it, as opposed to the U.S. model where it's every athlete for him/herself.

I remember a famous quote from an American weight lifter who was about to go up against the Russian champion in the Olympics. "Now we'll see once and for all who has the best pharmacists!!!"

MM how do you know this is an established fact for track and field? Yes there have been athletes who have been found to use drugs but is that the current state of the sport? Where did you get that info?

moriel

Record Breaker
The three members of the WADA commission are two Canadians and a German.

This is not about the USA at all.

2 Canadians ^^
Sorry, i know i´m being not nice, i just wanna have some time as the people who say all east europe and russia is the same thing.

But for an unbiased comission, i´d rather have no canadians and germans in it - maybe a brazillian and a japanese for example.

hurrah

Medalist
I think it is common for people in the skating world to have sense of this kind of thing happening all the time. I heard from people working in the media about how the closing ceremony program for Sochi was distributed, stating Russian athletes to be gold medalists in competitions which hadn't taken place yet. And I heard rumors of figure skating athletes being given 'oxygen' to breathe.

Last edited: