Same gender pairs/ice dance in your dreams | Golden Skate

Same gender pairs/ice dance in your dreams

Meoima

Match Penalty
Just in your dreams because we know it might be extremely difficult or nearly impossible for any female/female to do a triple twist.:drama:
With pairs we can choose based on reasonable height difference. For example several male/male pairs that I find possible maybe:

Maxim Trankov (1.87m)/ Tatsuki Machida (1.62m)

Evan Lysacek (1.88m)/ Daisuke Takahashi (1.65 m)

Brian Jourbert (1.79 m)/ Nobunari Oda (1m64)

Sorry Japanese men, you guys are definitely on the side of being thrown into the air. :biggrin: I really want to choose a male partner in pair for Yuzuru but he is too tall to be throw (many people who have met him confirmed that he must be at least 1m75).

As for the female/female pairs, maybe:

Polina Edmunds (1m65)/ Satoko Miyahara (1m47)
(To be frankly now that I start thinking maybe Miyahara should switch to pairs, she might become more successful in pairs IMO because she is short enough and she rotates very fast, and she is consistent).

Yuna Kim (1m65)/ Narumi Takahashi (1m46)

Carolina Kostner (1m69)/ Rachael Flatt (1m52)

Any suggestions for other possible same gender pairs? And the music they can skate to?

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
I think many of the guys could throw Shoma (1m57)

And maybe Yuzu could be part of a dance team since height difference is much less important there

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think many of the guys could throw Shoma (1m57)
And maybe Yuzu could be part of a dance team since height difference is much less important there
Yeah but I don't know much about ice dancers so I am waiting for people's suggestions.
And kudos to the idea of Yuzuru in ice dance. I'd like to see Yuzuru and Yulia as an ice dance team. :love:

Edit: Another possible male/male pair: Jeremy Abbott (1m78) / Christopher Caluza (1m62)
But to be honest I'm not very confident about Jeremy being in pair... what if he drops his partner? :hopelessness:

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Yeah but I don't know much about ice dancers so I am waiting for people's suggestions.
And kudos to the idea of Yuzuru in ice dance. I'd like to see Yuzuru and Yulia as an ice dance team. :love:

But aren't they different genders?

Visually, I could see Nam and Yuzu as a dance team because they're both fairly tall and thin, but I don't think Nam's skating skills are strong enough yet. Maybe Yuzu and Josh Farris?

Meoima

Match Penalty
But aren't they different genders?
Visually, I could see Nam and Yuzu as a dance team because they're both fairly tall and thin, but I don't think Nam's skating skills are strong enough yet. Maybe Yuzu and Josh Farris?
Ah Yuzulia is just a team for other fantasy of mine lol. They can be a very disney prince and princess team. :popcorn:

And it's true that Nam's skating skill might look glaring beside Yuzuru. So maybe Javi/Nam. :laugh:

And I love your idea about Josh/Yuzuru as an ice dance team!!!! :yay: They will be GREAT!!! :drama:

Last edited:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Joshi Helgesson (171 cm) and Maé-Bérénice Méité(168 cm) are both quite tall and athletically built, but I'd love to see them perform as a pro acrobatic duo.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think same-gender teams would be more interesting if they were closely matched in size/strength and used that to create moves that did not attempt to replicate the look of traditional pairs. We already have large people throwing tiny people. I'd love to see something different. For an example, go to YouTube and check out David and Jimmy Santee doing their "Loop Brothers" routine to music from "The Blues Brothers."

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Joshi Helgesson (171 cm) and Maé-Bérénice Méité(168 cm) are both quite tall and athletically built, but I'd love to see them perform as a pro acrobatic duo.
So maybe Joshi Helgesson (1m71)/ Ashley Wagner (1m59) can be a pair in competition. :biggrin:

Méité might be strong enough to lift Mao Asada or Yulia Lipnitskaya IMO.:)

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yuzuru/Kovtun
I like this, but their sbs jumps and spins might look too out of sync. Maybe Plushy/Yuzuru.

I think same-gender teams would be more interesting if they were closely matched in size/strength and used that to create moves that did not attempt to replicate the look of traditional pairs. We already have large people throwing tiny people. I'd love to see something different.

So maybe if there is something like same-gender teams for ISU competition in the future, we should abort lift and twist or make them "not compulsory" because I don't expect lady to throw lady. Might be too exhausting for them.

Last edited:

LisaM

Medalist
I believe Pitkeev has done throws for fun before. I don't remember who the male pairs guy was who threw him though.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

I'd prefer Yuzu with Jason Brown and Josh with Han Yan. Would mix better stylewise, IMO ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Josh and Jason would actually go well together as a dance team. They reflect off each other - Jason pushes Josh a little more out of his shell, Josh slows Jason down a bit - and they both have the nice, deep knees. The problem I guess is that they're not that far apart in height.

I'll also just leave this here.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Jason with Yuzuru as an ice dance team sound cute, but Yuzuru, even though is so thin, might be taller than Jason about 3-5 cm, who will lift who? :biggrin:

Yes, Yuzu is probably a little taller... but I'm sure they're both stronger than they look, they could take turns with who lifts who :biggrin:
But think about the possibilities with their spins!

I guess with Josh and Yuzu (or Jason and Josh... or Han and Josh) it would always be Josh who'd have to do the lifting. Poor guy! Maybe we need to pair Josh with Max for a change, Max is small but I'm sure he can lift people taller than him!