Scoring System Pattern Dance | Golden Skate

Scoring System Pattern Dance

gkelly

Record Breaker
Hi Skaters,

Can anyone help explain the scoring system for pattern dance?
Can you clarify whether you are asking about about tests (which country) or competition? Solo or partnered? What level(s)?

There are rules for scoring pattern dances under either IJS or 6.0. Depending what you're asking about, the answer might be one or the other or could be either.
And then in the US at least the scoring for tests is different from either.

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
Sure, thanks. I'm trying to understand ISU competitions in Germany. I competed in partnered pattern dance bronze (adult) and have a score card, but I don't understand it other than there are a lot of negative numbers! There are 2 scores, the above one contains GOE, but I don't know what that is for. The pattern? The lower one says presentation and has a few things listed on it like timing. I thought timing (on beat with right steps held long enough) would be as important as the pattern, but it seems to have a really low point value. Or what kind of timing do they mean? What is in the upper part of the score? It looks like they list the sequences, but what is being judged in that section exactly?

I appreciate your help!

gkelly

Record Breaker
This is IJS scoring for pattern dances.

The top of the score card (protocol), lists Executed Elements. For pattern dances at your level, each element is one repetition of the dance pattern and has a set base value per pattern. Each repetition of the pattern gets a separate grade of execution (GOE) from each of the judges.

If a judge thought that pattern was OK, with no negatives or positives (or negatives and positives that cancel each other out), they will award the base value (0) for that pattern. If they found positive aspects of the execution of that pattern, they can award positive scores from +1 to +5. If they found errors or weaknesses in the execution of that pattern, they can award negative scores -1 to -5. If there were both positive and negative aspects, they're supposed to start with the positives and then subtract the negatives.

See the handbook for ice dance officials for pattern dances from 2021-22.
(I can't find a more recent document specific to pattern dances.)

Page 28 gives the guidelines for how dance judges are supposed to score these patterns.

Each one point of GOE, positive or negative, is factored to equal 10% of the base value. The score in the GOE column, next to the Base Value column, shows the average of the judges' -5 to +5 scores factored (multiplied) by 10% of the base value for the pattern.

The scores in the right side of your protocol under Scores of Panel will show the base value with the averaged and factored GOE score from the judges added or subtracted.

The bottom half of the score card (protocol) gives the Program Component Scores (PCS), which apply to the dance as a whole.
See
Program Components for pattern dances for up-to-date guidelines about scoring the three program components, which for pattern dance are Timing, Presentation, and Skating Skills.

These program components are each scored on a scale of 0.00 to 10.00 with increments of 0.25. The same 1-10 scale is used for all levels of skating. Only the very best skaters in the world skating their best would earn a score of 10. A score of 0 would mean not skated at all.

At Bronze level, most of the program components will be in the red or possibly low orange range.

The component scores are factored. You'll see the factor for bronze level under the word "Factor" in the bottom half of the protocol. The numbers in the judges' columns are the exact scores that each judge awarded for each component. The numbers in the far right column are the average of the judges' scores multiplied by the factor.

I know it's complicated. I hope that explanation is somewhat helpful.

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
Thank you, @gkelly ! That was very thorough. Did I understand correctly that the executed elements would be the adhering to the correct pattern and steps?

And the bronze scores are not adjusted per level (bronze, silver, gold)? So to say that in order to get a high score on a bronze level dance, the skating skills would need to be as good as the other levels?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Thank you, @gkelly ! That was very thorough. Did I understand correctly that the executed elements would be the adhering to the correct pattern and steps?
Yes. There could also be pluses or minuses for the quality of the edges and flow and unison, positive or negative.

And the bronze scores are not adjusted per level (bronze, silver, gold)? So to say that in order to get a high score on a bronze level dance, the skating skills would need to be as good as the other levels?
Correct.

Unlike 6.0/ordinal judging, the IJS scoring is not comparing the competitors to each other, but rather to a set standard that they have developed by watching hundreds and thousands of competitors over the years.

Each judge would have an image in their mind of what Skating Skills of 3.00, for example, would look like. When they see a performance that matches their mental image of that score, that's the score they would award, regardless of the level of this specific event.