Sharpening Parabolic Blades | Golden Skate

Sharpening Parabolic Blades

christy

On the Ice
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find the info, so apologies if I've missed something.

Anyway, looking for new blades and the local store only has parabolics in the blade of choice (Coro Ace), for the same price as the standard blades. Buying online is an option, but will incur a fitting fee of around $80. So 2 questions - do parabolics require a highly skilled sharpener to maintain the edges? and any downsides to parabolics for the average skater?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm not aware of any particular issues with sharpening parabolic blades, although @tstop4me and @Ic3Rabbit will have a better idea on that. My sharpener is very highly skilled and has the kit for every type of blades out there.

The only real downside to parabolic blades for the average skater is the price, which doesn't appear to be applicable in your case, OP. Most skaters feel no difference and gain no benefit from them. If, however, you have very good and strong edges, then the difference can be felt and you either love it or hate it. I found it great fun (I had MK Phantom parabolic for a while) but not something I wanted to pay extra for.

christy

On the Ice
That's good to know. I'd never even considered parabolics before, and would say my sharpener is not in the very highly skilled category, which is what concerns me.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That's good to know. I'd never even considered parabolics before, and would say my sharpener is not in the very highly skilled category, which is what concerns me.
You are going to need a very highly skilled sharpening tech for those blades or they will ruin them in a heartbeat.

christy

On the Ice
You are going to need a very highly skilled sharpening tech for those blades or they will ruin them in a heartbeat.
Thanks for confirming that. I've decided to go with the online order for the blades and pay the fitting fee as it should be less hassle in the longer term.