Intermediate boot + blade choice? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Intermediate boot + blade choice?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You must have invested a lot in skates XD
Does the Edea's loose fit increase the risk of ankle sprains?
I like the fact it makes squatting down easier (for sit spins etc), but my muscles are definitely much weaker than pros...

Sorry for asking sooo many questions 😖
The ones I've tested aren't an investment: Perks of getting to the top levels of the sport LOL ;)

Chevalier

Rinkside
Inside Edge or City Plaza Ice shop is going to be your best bets there, they are figure skate shops(or deal with figure skates) most other shops in your area and china are either quad skate shops or skateboarding.

INSIDE EDGE
80 TAT CHEE AVENUE
UG-21, LEVEL UG, FESTIVAL WALK
KOWLOON TONG

I know CityPlaza skate shop has staff that knows figure skating gear and there are some seasonal pros that skate there (Craig Heath) who also coach, also skaters Harrison Wong and Kahlen Cheung train there seasonally.

Good luck! :)
Just gone there
No fitting at all :(
Asked if I would fit Jackson / edea better (they only sell these 2), just asked me to take off my shoes and said “edea because your feet looks slim”
When I enquired what if my boots don’t fit, they said they won’t offer any alternation service (eg pressing) and no exchange is allowed 😢
They don’t even have sizing displays for us to try in, either you order or you don’t 🥲

Also went to the store in Tin Hau (the store suggested by another person), the boss couldn’t offer any help with fitting apart from asking what’s my regular shoe size

Guess I’ll stick to virtual fitting…. At least they took my measurements into account

A bonus though - finally saw the real coronation and MK pro, the ace’s toe pick looks horrifying, the lowest toe pick is much more prominent than MK
Looks like something I Would trip over 🙈

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A bonus though - finally saw the real coronation and MK pro, the ace’s toe pick looks horrifying, the lowest toe pick is much more prominent than MK
This is a misconception. If you're simply skating around, and if you trip over the drag pick, the size of the pick doesn't matter. After all, under these conditions, you don't dig your pick into the ice that deeply, and you trip on just the tip of the pick. What's more important is the profile of the spin rocker and the heel lift. With a flat spin rocker/low heel lift, you're more likely to inadvertently rock forward and catch the tip of the drag pick on the ice. But the Coronation Ace has a relatively rounded spin rocker and high heel lift.

For background info, Paramount has some good explanatory videos:

Check out the ones on "Blade Profiles" and "Lift Angles".

Last edited:

Chevalier

Rinkside
This is a misconception. If you're simply skating around, and if you trip over the drag pick, the size of the pick doesn't matter

Thanks for the explanation!
Let me check out the video In a moment ☺️

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is a misconception. If you're simply skating around, and if you trip over the drag pick, the size of the pick doesn't matter. After all, under these conditions, you don't dig your pick into the ice that deeply, and you trip on just the tip of the pick. What's more important is the profile of the spin rocker and the heel lift. With a flat spin rocker/low heel lift, you're more likely to inadvertently rock forward and catch the tip of the drag pick on the ice. But the Coronation Ace has a relatively rounded spin rocker and high heel lift.

Thank you for beating me to this! LOL

@Chevalier if you are properly on your blade and rocker, you will NOT trip on any pick.

ETA: Sorry to hear about those two shops that I and someone else discussed didn't work out. Now, what about City Plaza Ice Shop at the rink that I also suggested upthread??! They should be able to help you. Otherwise, as I said in my first post here: Online fitting is better than nothing.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

I remember my very first pair of Coronation Ace very clearly, particularly the first time I skated on them. My parents had just taken me to be fitted with my first "good" skates, ie separate boots and blades. The boots (a brand called Alviera) were very stiff but had absolutely no padding whatsoever. Solid leather outer and lining. No cushioning. My ankles literally bled and are still deformed, 40 years later! You young uns don't know you're born! Coronation Ace was a given. I can't remember there being any other choice. After buying them, I was taken to a skating rink in London to try them out and I vividly remember skating across the long, narrow rink and tripping on that much, much bigger toe pick that I'd had on my previous set. But that was the one and only time. Once I adjusted my posture and technique for the better, I never looked back. Ten minutes after that initial fall, I was beaming. (We'll gloss over the pain of my poor ankle bones...)

Coronation Ace are the most popular blades in the world and have been for a long time. They really are excellent blades.

Chevalier

Rinkside
Thank you for beating me to this! LOL

@Chevalier if you are properly on your blade and rocker, you will NOT trip on any pick.

ETA: Sorry to hear about those two shops that I and someone else discussed didn't work out. Now, what about City Plaza Ice Shop at the rink that I also suggested upthread??! They should be able to help you. Otherwise, as I said in my first post here: Online fitting is better than nothing.
So I went to city plaza the other day
It has a lot more decent skating clothes (those bling bling dresses) when compared to others but there's nothing to do with boot fitting... Feet length was all they could help with
- side note: I've been professionally fitted for running shoes, and have only stuck with 2-3 models since. I've known my exact feet length/ pronation/ flat foot/ accessory naviculars for years since attending orthopaedics surgeons (quite a few actually)/ podiatrists/ occupational therapists for foot problems and custom made insoles. Since 2 years ago all of the doctors recommended me to wean off my special insoles.

Thanks to friendly skating friends I've tried skating in risport royal pro +legacy 7 yesterday
- any blade would be better than my mark IV (haha), spinning was much easier
- My distal shin under the top of the tongue hurt so bad, it's impinging even with the slightest ankle bend; Jackson hurts on the 2 sides but Risport in front, interesting.
- merit: finally able to bend my ankles VS my Jackson which I can't even semi squat (and VS the Edea which I could squat/sit all the way down)
- Heel felt ok, kept inside without bumping up and down

Guess all I can do is stay with the virtual fitting now... (He recommended Chorus > royal pro due to my foot shape)
And he also recommended adding Jackson supreme insoles 7' to correct my pronation since I can't get on my left outside edge well, willing to invest.

The cushioning I've tried with friends' Edea skates feel soft and shouldn't be painful like my Jackson/ the royal pro I've tried
- but there's less support at the ankle which is scary, but many have been happily skating? Ankle sprains/ fractures are the last things I want
If I ultimately go for royal pro for the ankle tightness is there a way to overcome the pain from the tongue?

It'll take me some more time before making up my mind between MK professional / Coronation Ace, the MK pro (just by inspection) looks more attractive and the profile looks very gold seal :bang:

Chevalier

Rinkside
Coronation Ace was a given. I can't remember there being any other choice. After buying them, I was taken to a skating rink in London to try them out and I vividly remember skating across the long, narrow rink and tripping on that much, much bigger toe pick that I'd had on my previous set. Once I adjusted my posture and technique for the better, I never looked back. Ten minutes after that initial fall, I was beaming. (We'll gloss over the pain of my poor ankle bones...)

Coronation Ace are the most popular blades in the world and have been for a long time. They really are excellent blades.
Thank! I'll be giving coronation ace a second thought:clap:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So I went to city plaza the other day
It has a lot more decent skating clothes (those bling bling dresses) when compared to others but there's nothing to do with boot fitting... Feet length was all they could help with
- side note: I've been professionally fitted for running shoes, and have only stuck with 2-3 models since. I've known my exact feet length/ pronation/ flat foot/ accessory naviculars for years since attending orthopaedics surgeons (quite a few actually)/ podiatrists/ occupational therapists for foot problems and custom made insoles. Since 2 years ago all of the doctors recommended me to wean off my special insoles.

Thanks to friendly skating friends I've tried skating in risport royal pro +legacy 7 yesterday
- any blade would be better than my mark IV (haha), spinning was much easier
- My distal shin under the top of the tongue hurt so bad, it's impinging even with the slightest ankle bend; Jackson hurts on the 2 sides but Risport in front, interesting.
- merit: finally able to bend my ankles VS my Jackson which I can't even semi squat (and VS the Edea which I could squat/sit all the way down)
- Heel felt ok, kept inside without bumping up and down

Guess all I can do is stay with the virtual fitting now... (He recommended Chorus > royal pro due to my foot shape)
And he also recommended adding Jackson supreme insoles 7' to correct my pronation since I can't get on my left outside edge well, willing to invest.

The cushioning I've tried with friends' Edea skates feel soft and shouldn't be painful like my Jackson/ the royal pro I've tried
- but there's less support at the ankle which is scary, but many have been happily skating? Ankle sprains/ fractures are the last things I want
If I ultimately go for royal pro for the ankle tightness is there a way to overcome the pain from the tongue?

It'll take me some more time before making up my mind between MK professional / Coronation Ace, the MK pro (just by inspection) looks more attractive and the profile looks very gold seal :bang:
You really shouldn't decide based on wearing others skaters. NEVER do that. All I can say otherwise is, you are into much stiffer boot level and they WILL hurt for awhile, and all you can do is start to properly break them in. Consider Bunga pads to wear when you skate, lambswool in certain places until the boot breaks in a bit. Keep bending your knees it will help properly break the boot in, and also you can wear the boots around with hard guards off ice to assist with breaking them in (short periods of time with this).

Chevalier

Rinkside
You really shouldn't decide based on wearing others skaters. NEVER do that. All I can say otherwise is, you are into much stiffer boot level and they WILL hurt for awhile, and all you can do is start to properly break them in. Consider Bunga pads to wear when you skate, lambswool in certain places until the boot breaks in a bit. Keep bending your knees it will help properly break the boot in, and also you can wear the boots around with hard guards off ice to assist with breaking them in (short periods of time with this).
Thanks again! So all skates’ gonna hurt that’s sad to know 🙈
Let me talk to the virtual fitter and see how he can help with my final boot choice ☺️

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Let me talk to the virtual fitter and see how he can help with my final boot choice ☺️
Honey, you're not buying slippers for creeping around the house and watching TV. Skating boots are tough things because they have to support you in your chosen sport and - hopefully - prevent hideous injuries. Be prepared that even if they initially feel absolutely wonderful in every way, as you start to break them in you may find spots that need extra help/padding. Bunga pads are your friend.

Chevalier

Rinkside
Honey, you're not buying slippers for creeping around the house and watching TV. Skating boots are tough things because they have to support you in your chosen sport and - hopefully - prevent hideous injuries. Be prepared that even if they initially feel absolutely wonderful in every way, as you start to break them in you may find spots that need extra help/padding. Bunga pads are your friend.
Sorry I thought my artiste hurts so bad coz it's entry level boots and higher level ones would somehow have better cushioning/ technology which makes fitting more comfy.. my bad
thrilled yet anxious in upgrading my skates now:palmf:

I'll definitely try bunga pads should it go wrong :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The more advanced boots will incur discomfort to some degree during the break-in period. The purpose of the break-in period is to adapt the boots to the peculiarities of your feet. If they are comfy from the get-go, they'll likely be too loose or floppy after a short period. If the boots are the proper choice and properly fitted, and if you are patient about a gradual break-in period, you can minimize the discomfort. The problem is most skaters who buy new skates are waaay too eager-beaver to zip around in them. With properly fitted boots and a proper break-in period, the boots should then be reasonably comfortable thereafter (allowing for inevitable tweaks).

But I commiserate with WM's remarks about boots of yesteryear:

The boots (a brand called Alviera) were very stiff but had absolutely no padding whatsoever. Solid leather outer and lining. No cushioning. My ankles literally bled and are still deformed, 40 years later!

Bloody ankles, shins, and calves were practically a de rigeur rite of passage. I'm appreciative of the advances in boot design.

Chevalier

Rinkside
advanced boots will incur discomfort to some degree during the break-in period. The purpose of the break-in period is to adapt the boots to the peculiarities of your feet. If they are comfy from the get-go, they'll likely be too loose or floppy after a short period. If the boots are the proper choice and properly fitted, and if you are patient about
Fingers crossed my virtually fitted boots will be fine, will give them time and band-aids(!)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I remember my very first pair of Coronation Ace very clearly, particularly the first time I skated on them. My parents had just taken me to be fitted with my first "good" skates, ie separate boots and blades. The boots (a brand called Alviera) were very stiff but had absolutely no padding whatsoever. Solid leather outer and lining. No cushioning. My ankles literally bled and are still deformed, 40 years later! You young uns don't know you're born! Coronation Ace was a given. I can't remember there being any other choice. After buying them, I was taken to a skating rink in London to try them out and I vividly remember skating across the long, narrow rink and tripping on that much, much bigger toe pick that I'd had on my previous set. But that was the one and only time. Once I adjusted my posture and technique for the better, I never looked back. Ten minutes after that initial fall, I was beaming. (We'll gloss over the pain of my poor ankle bones...)

Oh Gosh, I forgot about Alviera! I think out of being traumatized by what they did to feet and ankles. :eek2: There were other brands that are more recent than 40 years ago lol that left feet very unhappy. As I mention from time to time here, ankle injuries suck and mine aren't just from wear and tear training, it's also from boots and how horrible they were years ago, also why many of us say we don't want anyone to see our feet LOL! I literally feel your pain! 😵

Chevalier

Rinkside
Oh, glory, yes! Royal Pros are lovely boots (provided you don't mind the tongue not wrapping; it didn't bother me) but I really didn't like Edeas.

The RF3 is more similar to the Royal Pro. If she doesn't like how edea's feel/fit, then I would not go w/Rf3 which has the synthetic materials that edea are made from.
Talked me into getting risport skates instead of Edea XD
got a bit more experience in edea boots and my ankles can't really adapt (weak muscles...) though I liked how it doesn't hurt too much
(but back to some threads above - probably will become too loose sooner or later)
Double checking with virtual fitter regarding model and width :D

Given the slooooooow fitting let me just think through blades a few days more (facepalm)

P.S. Anyone tried Jackson supreme insoles to correct pronation?
Seems like many are adjusting blade positions instead which isn't practical given 0 skate tech support in this part of the world

Last edited: