Shibutani's named to LA2024 AAC | Golden Skate

Shibutani's named to LA2024 AAC

Celine

On the Ice
How about a post about something positive in the off-season!?

Throughout their careers, Maia and Alex Shibutani have been purposeful in their efforts to be positive ambassadors, helping promote the sport of figure skating. They consistently commit time and effort in support of broader causes. By being named to the LA2024 Athletes' Advisory Commission, they carry on a tradition amongst other wonderful skaters like Yuna Kim and Denis Ten, who also supported efforts to host an Olympics.

https://la24.org/media/512-new-aac-members

The LA2024 Athletes' Advisory Commission includes quite an exciting list of current and former champion athletes, US and international Olympians and Paralympians including Serena Williams, Simone Biles, Janet Evans, and Nadia Comenici, amongst others. Maia and Alex join Michele Kwan and Tara Lipinski on the roster of figure skaters recognized by the business/entertainment/sports leaders heading up the LA2024 campaign, for their value in supporting LA2024's efforts.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
LA would be one of the last places I'd want to see an Olympics. The city's infrastructure can't even handle the people who live there.

mrrice

Record Breaker
LA would be one of the last places I'd want to see an Olympics. The city's infrastructure can't even handle the people who live there.

This comment is sadly true. When I was in band at CSUN. We would travel to Cal State Fullerton, Cal State L.A., and Cal State Long beach for football games. There were times it would take us 3 hours to get home from those games and they were only 20-40 miles away at the furthest. They have a Subway System but it is woefully insufficient to service the vast area of Los Angeles. It's great to go from downtown to the airport but, it doesn't have good connecting lines like they have in S.F., New York, Chicago or other major cities. I haven't lived in So, Ca. for over 10 years and things may have improved since I was there.

L.A., is a city where everyone relies on having a car and when people visit, most of them rent cars as the public transportation is famously bad..

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist

Agree--I always liked the idea of having the Winter Olympics in somewhere like Bozeman or Anchorage. If LA wins, it will probably be 20+ years before the Winter Olys in the US is even a remote possibility.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Agree--I always liked the idea of having the Winter Olympics in somewhere like Bozeman or Anchorage. If LA wins, it will probably be 20+ years before the Winter Olys in the US is even a remote possibility.

Does anyone here live on the east coast? I think somewhere like Boston might work for the Olympics, wouldn't it? It's a big sports town and they already have a lot of venues with subways or trains that travel directly to them.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker

This is true. Plus, all the sports venues are up at lake Arrowhead and are nowhere near downtown LA. It would better to have them at Mammoth as they have facilities and the infrastructure already in place. http://www.insidesocal.com/snow/files/2012/12/Village-at-Mammoth-Winter-Exterior01.jpg

charmblade

Final Flight
I live in Boston. The city was the original choice for the 2024 Olympic bid, but after much opposition from the local community the bid was withdrawn and given to LA. We have incredibly old infrastructure, a public transit system that can barely even handle the amount of people living here, and horrendous traffic and overcrowding issues. I was initially excited about the bid, because having the olympics in my city seemed super cool, but the practical issues were just too much. Many of the existing venues would have to be completely redone. Yes, we're a sports town but we are also a practical city that has enough infrastructure issues already.

It seems like a good idea but would have been a giant, expensive mess for the city.

Tallorder

On the Ice
There goes the OP's hope of this being seen as "positive" news. That's GS for you.

:laugh:Classic GS negativity. Thread goes down a rabbit hole and the bigger picture point escapes :scratch3:

I took the OP's posting to acknowledge Maia and Alex's commitment to being positive ambassadors for the sport to the outside world. It takes effort. It shows leadership.

"Condolences" to Celine for your naive optimism.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The 2024 Olympics is NOT Winter Olympics.... It is Summer Olympics. Maia and Alex will be promoting the 2024 Summer Games.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The 2024 Olympics is NOT Winter Olympics.... It is Summer Olympics. Maia and Alex will be promoting the 2024 Summer Games.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's a completely different story. By the way, do you still live in Visalia? I used to live there before I moved up to Clovis. Right by El Diamante High..

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's a completely different story. By the way, do you still live in Visalia? I used to live there before I moved up to Clovis. Right by El Diamante High..

Yes still reside here in Visalia... moved here from Tucson, AZ on Nov. 23, 1998 and have lived in the same place since then. Going to Nationals in late Dec. early Jan 2018 in San Jose...just five hours north of here. Already have All-Event Tickets purchased. My first-ever Competitive Event and I am so pumped.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is good news!! I hope they enjoy the experience and get the most out of it. They'll be a good ambassador for not only our sport but for the US in general. Can't wait to see the some highlights from their Vlog of their participation. Should be fun :agree:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
This is good news!! I hope they enjoy the experience and get the most out of it. They'll be a good ambassador for not only our sport but for the US in general. Can't wait to see the some highlights from their Vlog of their participation. Should be fun :agree:

Still sad that Alex's camera was lost/stolen some weeks ago and thus all that footage from Worlds to early May was lost. Alex said there were three vlogs on that memory card.

Zhafiraiha

On the Ice
Still sad that Alex's camera was lost/stolen some weeks ago and thus all that footage from Worlds to early May was lost. Alex said there were three vlogs on that memory card.

I know, I read it from Alex's twitter right after begging for vlogs in their instagram and immediately felt bad. I hope they can find his camera and that precious memory card :(

Barb

Record Breaker
I know, I read it from Alex's twitter right after begging for vlogs in their instagram and immediately felt bad. I hope they can find his camera and that precious memory card :(

I think at this point it is almost impossible, although my sister was contacted by someone who somehow got her computer after she lost it 3 years earlier, the guy tried to befriend her :unsure:, my sister had some compromising photos on that computer :eek:::laugh:, hopefully not Alex's case.

Last edited: