Shoma Uno to change coaches | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno to change coaches

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I find it amusing how the buzz was he might be going to Eteri and then he comes out with programs from Canadian choreographers, which shifts the focus to NA coaches, and then suddenly Eteri posts about him going to summer camp at Sambo-70 and the focus is back to thinking she's the one. Shoma's management has a knack for keeping us on our toes, that's for sure.

Better than a telenovela:popcorn:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
and since im thinking about it ill do one for team Orser as well:

TCC Pros and Cons

Cons
Ugly programs (LOL sorry I HAAATE TCC programs)

You do realize Shoma is taking choreo from two choreographers that often work with TCC skaters, right?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Good luck to Shoma. Hopefully he likes the team and the style, and choses to stay there.
(also its nice to see that top skaters aknowledge that Eteri is one of the best coaches right now)

You’d be crazy if you didn’t acknowledge she was the best right now. She arguably just had a 1-2-3 at worlds. When was the last time a coach had three students (current and former) do that?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
On Eteri's iciness: it is debatable (see how she supported Zagitova and Tursynbaeva at Worlds). Overall she looks like a more serious type of person, who will not jump and scream, which doesnt mean the person won't support you and all. Overall, I'd say that its worth reading Polina Shelepen interviews, she talks a lot about Eteri's character and behaviour.

Shoma doesnt speek english appearently, so he would need a translator everywhere, likely. Although english could be easier than Russian to learn.

Btw, now that I stop to think, anyone knows what happened to Yuko Kavaguti after she and Smirnov retired?
Afaik she gave up her japanese citizenship when switched to russia, so chances are she is still around. Team Eteri could bring her in o_O Yep, she is a pair skater, but likely she can teach a lot to singles too, so wouldnt be just a translator or something.

Kavaguti was at a show celebrating Mishin’s 50 years in Ice Skating, so she’s still in Russia.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You’d be crazy if you didn’t acknowledge she was the best right now. She arguably just had a 1-2-3 at worlds. When was the last time a coach had three students (current and former) do that?

I’m not sure why you would give Eteri credit for Evgenia’s 2019 World medal.

monochrom3

On the Ice
Shoma doesnt speek english appearently, so he would need a translator everywhere, likely. Although english could be easier than Russian to learn.

Well he'll either get a translator or make do with English. He and Alina seemed to be able to communicate fine enough on The Ice show last year when neither of them spoke much English haha. Also I don't think he'll have to learn russian, Eteri is fluent in English (worked in US as a coach in the past, and her ex? husband is American, hence her daughter's surname is Davis and is an American citizen) and she'll use that likely.

Fluture

Record Breaker

She‘s inarguably the most successful coach for ladies right now. And she will be even more successful next year, when she’ll have 5 top seniors. At Worlds she went 1-2, though. Zagitova and Tursynbaeva. That‘s it. And that‘s not arguable. You also wouldn‘t say Brian went 2-3 because he coached Tursynbaeva once, would you? This silver is Lil‘Bet‘s and Eteri‘s shared achievement, no one else‘s. Same for Zhenya‘s bronze. It‘s hers and her current team‘s.

It will be interesting to see what she can do with Shoma. I hope we‘ll get to see at least one side-by-side quad of him and Sasha or I‘ll be disappointed. :biggrin: I wish him good luck. I‘m not sold on this decision at all but he‘s a great skater. So, hopefully, everything will work out the way he expected.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yeah well no need to credit her with Zhenya's bronze when you can credit her for her 2 World golds instead.

I would prefer to give Zhenya herself credit for all three of her world medals. She was the one out there skating, not her coaches.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well, I guess I’m crazy.
I’ve been called worse:p

Shoma’s decision has nothing to do with “who is the best coach”. (As if such a thing could ever be decided.:shrug:) This has to do with “who is the best coach for *Shoma*”.

I wish him well in his journey:clap:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I’m not sure why you would give Eteri credit for Evgenia’s 2019 World medal.

Don't want to get too off topic but I do think it's difficult to draw the line on where one coach's influence stops and another one starts. One could make the argument that Orser did help Tursynbaeva on the path to her 4S. How do we not know something learned at TCC wasn't helpful?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I remember having read that Brian asked Fernandez, if it is okay that Hanyu starts to train at TCC... Anyway, I think that Hanyu, Uno and Cha would be an excellent training team!!!

eaglehelang

Final Flight
AFAIU Shoma didn't change a coach. He only came to participate in TUT summer training camp.
That would be the best troll of all.
If after making the rounds Shoma decides to beg Mihoko sensei to take him back. Just change the jump coach.

Shedi0806

On the Ice
I remember having read that Brian asked Fernandez, if it is okay that Hanyu starts to train at TCC... Anyway, I think that Hanyu, Uno and Cha would be an excellent training team!!!

Yes, and when they were about to take Boyang, Brian did not ask Hanyu, he just told him. Not sure it would be the same situation with the top two Japanese men, though.

tokoyami

On the Ice
You do realize Shoma is taking choreo from two choreographers that often work with TCC skaters, right?

yes haha i know a lot of us here love SLB but I just can't stomach her FS programs. The only exceptions are probably SEIMEI, Hope and Legacy, Jun's R&J, and maybe Waka's Skyfall. I just don't like the way she approaches programs and i find it boring. We'll see what DW can do, he comes alive in coming up with exhibition programs but his competitive programs have yet to produce anything exciting since probably javi's guys and dolls. I'm just not too excited for these new programs, I was personally hoping for a benoit richaud/jbuttle/even an averbukh or daniil program before SLB and DW. BUT i like SLB's short programs and maybe shoma will skate to something modern again so thatll be cool!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Don't want to get too off topic but I do think it's difficult to draw the line on where one coach's influence stops and another one starts. One could make the argument that Orser did help Tursynbaeva on the path to her 4S. How do we not know something learned at TCC wasn't helpful?

We don’t, of course, and it would be silly to deny that Tursynbaeva learned a lot from Brian or that Evgenia learned a ton from Eteri. Still, I think a big part of winning has to do with a person’s innate drive, mental strength, and ability to perform well under pressure. A good coach can encourage those things - and I’m sure all top coaches, including Eteri and Brian, do. But when you’re out there alone at center ice, or onstage, the coach isn’t with you and can’t do it for you - it's all down to what you do in the moment.

Rissa

Record Breaker
yes haha i know a lot of us here love SLB but I just can't stomach her FS programs. The only exceptions are probably SEIMEI, Hope and Legacy, Jun's R&J, and maybe Waka's Skyfall. I just don't like the way she approaches programs and i find it boring. We'll see what DW can do, he comes alive in coming up with exhibition programs but his competitive programs have yet to produce anything exciting since probably javi's guys and dolls. I'm just not too excited for these new programs, I was personally hoping for a benoit richaud/jbuttle/even an averbukh or daniil program before SLB and DW. BUT i like SLB's short programs and maybe shoma will skate to something modern again so thatll be cool!

I personally find Wilson the boring one (especially what he does for Japanese ledies, thank God they ditched him) but I think Shoma is one of the few who could make David Wilson choreo look decent. We shall see.

tokoyami

On the Ice
We don’t, of course, and it would be silly to deny that Tursynbaeva learned a lot from Brian or that Evgenia learned a ton from Eteri. Still, I think a big part of winning has to do with a person’s innate drive, mental strength, and ability to perform well under pressure. A good coach can encourage those things - and I’m sure all top coaches, including Eteri and Brian, do. But when you’re out there alone at center ice, or onstage, the coach isn’t with you and can’t do it for you - it's all down to what you do in the moment.

yeah but you could say that about almost any performance art or sport, it doesn't make what coaches or directors do or their legacies any less important. That moment is defined by your training with your coaches ergo coaches lead you to success (along with your own effort of course)

*edit: rereading your post i honestly think we're on the same page actually lol

tokoyami

On the Ice
I personally find Wilson the boring one (especially what he does for Japanese ledties, thank God they diched him) but I think Shoma is one of the few who could make David Wilson choreo look decent. We shall see.

Yeah ive never found a Wilson program for a woman interesting, this includes Yuna's programs, yes I said it. Not to be that person but I've felt very heavy misogynistic vibes from wilson. His Yuna programs are all 'wink wink, give a twirl, im a pretty girl' and his programs for the JPN ladies are all, 'im such a precious little ingenue im so delicate and sweet' it's like he doesn't understand that women can have different personalities

sidenote: i wonder how easy it is to notice that ive never actually finished a yuna program (aside from send in the clowns and her 2014 Olys FS) i really wish i could finish her 'Greatest Hits' but dear god are her DW programs just so gosh darn boring im so sorry