Shoma Uno to change coaches | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno to change coaches

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
the usual ... so it's not like he will need to learn new techniques if he moves to Eteri:biggrin:

I don't think there is any need for a comment like this. Shoma wants to be the best skater he can be and his team are bold enough to announce that he's looking to change coach. He's already achieved plenty!

rabidline

Final Flight
Is Shoma the third Japanese skater to get a SP from ShaeLynn so far?

He's fourth to confirm: Wakaba Higuchi, Rika Kihira, Kaori Sakamoto- and then Shoma. Only Waka and Rika have revealed their music, and only Rika has debuted her SP.

Rika Hongo and Marin Honda both also use ShaeLynn choreo for their SP- both recycling from last year.

(Rika Hongo is using ShaeLynn for her FS, too).

OniBan

Final Flight
Shae-Lynn suits Shoma very well. Not as jazzed about a David Wilson FS.

Shoma's EX This Town and Time after Time were done by David Wilson - both of which captured his essence and made really good use of his natural movements and flow on the ice. I wouldn't write off a DW FS yet as he seems to 'get' Shoma's style, imho

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Shoma's EX This Town and Time after Time were done by David Wilson - both of which captured his essence and made really good use of his natural movements and flow on the ice. I wouldn't write off a DW FS yet as he seems to 'get' Shoma's style, imho

I agree that David's work with Shoma has been good (tbh probably some of David's best in recent years). I was still hoping to see Shoma work with Lori or Jeff, who also can play up his style of skating well.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Yuzu is OK with it, (and I know it’s a big if) I’m still sold on TCC.

Shoma will be a welcome addition to any coaching team; it’s not like he “needs” Eteri, Mishin, Raf or Brian for politicking or for reputation. He’s the Oly silver medallist, and he’s not pleading with anyone to “please take him”. Whatever jumping assistance he needs, Brian, Ghislain, and the team can give to him. He will have skaters who speak his language. He will have Jason on the welcoming committee. What more could any skater want:biggrin:

In addition, although I think he selected them because they did his exhibitions and he’s comfortable with them, I think David and Shae Lynn point to a North American or Japanese coach. Has any Eteri skater ever used a non-Russian choreographer? And although I think Mishin would not care, is he really wanting to full time coach for a skater he would need to travel so much for? It is usually the travel that causes our elder statesmen coaches to cut back or retire :think:

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it:)

moriel

Record Breaker
Im not sold on TCC. Shoma imho needs a coach/team who is able to work on his jumps.
That kind of rules tcc out for me.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
https://shoma-uno.com/info#1023

Apparently he said he is going to do tryouts at a few centres before he decides. However, his choreographers are SP Shae-Lynn Bourne and LP David Wilson so make what you will of that.
Probably that doesn't mean anything.

The fact that a certain coach has experience with x or won’t have issues with y is really pretty meaningless unless we know what’s driving this change from Shoma’s perspective. What does he feel he needs help with? What is a deal breaker for him? I don’t think any of us know that.
While it's true that we don't know Shoma's mind, it's not unreasonable to operate on the assumption that he's looking for a jump retooling first and foremost. He does not need a radical coaching change to help his components; the judges always reach for the high 9s when he skates well. And he's acknowledged in the past wanting to work on jump technique, which is the thing that people have criticized him for, and he's coming off a season where his jumps were decidedly messier than his erstwhile rivals Hanyu and Chen.

Im not sold on TCC. Shoma imho needs a coach/team who is able to work on his jumps.
Why would the TCC not be able to work on his jumps? That's why Fernandez and Hanyu went there in the first place.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist

Well, on a second thought, that IF may not be that big :laugh2:

Seriously, I thought about this again. The thing is, I don't think Shoma is so much of a threat to Yuzu. The Japanese Federation seems pretty clear to leave Yuzu as their holy sovereign no matter what, as long as he competes, and Shoma seems to have fully understood and accepted that - whether this is right or not will be another question, but considering this situation, both of them training side by side on a same team might not be so far fetched as it initially seemed.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Brian already seemed a bit overwhelmed at Worlds - he appeared to almost have forgotten about Jason at the FS. Another top guy could be too much.

Honestly who knows what Yuzu thinks about Shoma being his training mate.

Fluture

Record Breaker

You know... Ghislain still exists as far as I‘m aware.

Best coach for jumps would hands down be Mishin. But he‘s already denied it, so it‘s not him.

It will depend on what Shoma wants. Does he want to go the hard route and correct his technique? Then I can only see TCC or maybe Raf as an option. But there are still two questions there - Yuzu and Nathan. Would they want a situation like that? I‘m not so sure. The Javi vs. Yuzu thing was special, they had the right personalities to work next to each other and have friendly rivalry without it becoming stressful. Also, Brian has a lot on his plate already. Yuzu, Zhenya, Jun, Jason... Imo Shoma would need to be someone‘s Nr 1 priority, or at least 2. I don‘t think it will be Brian.

What about Kaetlyn Osmond‘s coach, Ravi, though even it I don‘t know much about him, admittedly. But he did help her after her injuries and made her a top threat again. Who is he currently coaching?

If he just wants consistency and nothing else, then he could try Eteri, I guess. I‘m not too sold on the idea, though. Somehow it just doesn‘t feel right, these two don‘t seem to match neither with their characters nor attitudes. Imo, what Shoma really needs is a technician who is willing to look at the flaws he has and is able to correct them. He is a great artist and he has the technical difficulty, so it‘s really “only“ that.

Also, Shoma uses two foreign choreographers. Would Eteri be willing to work with Wilson and Shae-Lynn? I‘m not sure.

But I have to say, the thought of Shoma training with a bunch of 10-17 year old girls (+Morisi) and engaging in quad battles with Sasha greatly amuses me. Side-by-side 4F! :laugh:

Many intrigues. For me, at the moment I cannot see a Shoma - Eteri coaching situation. But maybe I‘ll think differently in a few months. Lil‘Bet did click with Eteri‘s methods after all, she‘s blooming now. Maybe it will be the same for Shoma. Just because I can‘t see it yet doesn‘t mean it couldn‘t happen.

Personally, I’m not totally sold on any of the coaches I mentioned above but maybe it will be someone totally new.

Ultimately, Shoma will know what‘s best for him. It will be interesting to see who he ends up choosing. Since I don‘t really have a horse in this race, I‘ll just watch and enjoy the drama. It‘s better than a boring off-season, certainly! :biggrin:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Shoma will be a welcome addition to any coaching team; it’s not like he “needs” Eteri, Mishin, Raf or Brian for politicking or for reputation. He’s the Oly silver medallist, and he’s not pleading with anyone to “please take him”. Whatever jumping assistance he needs, Brian, Ghislain, and the team can give to him. He will have skaters who speak his language. He will have Jason on the welcoming committee. What more could any skater want:biggrin:

In addition, although I think he selected them because they did his exhibitions and he’s comfortable with them, I think David and Shae Lynn point to a North American or Japanese coach. Has any Eteri skater ever used a non-Russian choreographer? And although I think Mishin would not care, is he really wanting to full time coach for a skater he would need to travel so much for? It is usually the travel that causes our elder statesmen coaches to cut back or retire :think:

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it:)

:agree:

In addition, since he's used to a female coach, Tracy Wilson could be his primary (as she is Jason's) and he could work on jumps with Brian and Ghislain as needed.

Besides, where else but TCC would Shoma get Jason shoulder rubs. :laugh:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Shame he didn't go to Eteri, i think his style of skating is closer to Daniil's choreography than what people might think, and his jumping technique is similar from the one from that group.