Shoma Uno | Page 1137 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went to the practice rink today and saw Shoma skate! He seemed to conserve his energy a bit with some intentional single jumps during the free skate runthrough but was working on combos both inside and outside of the runthrough. Seeing the free skate gives me an incredibly peaceful feeling... He was also wearing a red practice shirt, I love that red practice shirt. ❤

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For those of you at the Centre Bell, there are different Shoma costumes on display today! The blue Domo costume and the blue-gray Shoboe costume are now on display! 💙

For those of you not at the Centre Bell, I have a funny story to relate. I decided to wait outside the practice rink after Shoma's practice session was over in an attempt to obtain his autograph. The weather in Montreal has been freezing, I must have waited at least 15 minutes out in the cold along with other skating fans. Just when I was opening up a hand warmer to keep my hands warm, Yuma appeared! Being the autograph collector and Yuma fan that I am, of course I had to get his autograph and he was very polite about it. 😊 After I obtained Yuma's autograph, another Shoma fan informed me that he had slipped out of the arena just after Yuma exited! Thankfully, he and Demi-san were in a getaway car nearby and I managed to wave goodbye to them while the car sped away. It wouldn't surprise me if Yuma and Shoma planned to exit the arena in this manner. Shoma is a sneaky, sneaky boy! 😆

farornaskonung

Rinkside
Also want to wish Shoma good luck for the free skate! I won't be able to watch his skate live, but am looking forward to watch the replay.

His short was fenomenal. Sublime. I can't believe his mental strength! Hope to see a repeat of that in the free and most of all that he is happy with what he puts out there. He can do it! Go Shoma!! :hap10::pray:

Figskater23

Final Flight
Aw, Shoma. Not your night. But thank you for fighting and sharing your skating with us :pray:

It's been a great run, the shoe has to come down on the other side. I'm sad, but also... I trust that he'll be okay.
Oh, Shoma. I agree. It wasn’t his night. It happens to the best. Now he can rest and try to relax for a bit. Go home, play with the puppies, eat something sweet, meet up with Marin, Kazuki, Yuzuru, and/or another friend, and play some games. No need to rush a decision on what comes next. After all the off season is just beginning. There is lots of time to think. You’ll be just fine Shoma. 💖

Figskater23

Final Flight
For those of you at the Centre Bell, there are different Shoma costumes on display today! The blue Domo costume and the blue-gray Shoboe costume are now on display! 💙

For those of you not at the Centre Bell, I have a funny story to relate. I decided to wait outside the practice rink after Shoma's practice session was over in an attempt to obtain his autograph. The weather in Montreal has been freezing, I must have waited at least 15 minutes out in the cold along with other skating fans. Just when I was opening up a hand warmer to keep my hands warm, Yuma appeared! Being the autograph collector and Yuma fan that I am, of course I had to get his autograph and he was very polite about it. 😊 After I obtained Yuma's autograph, another Shoma fan informed me that he had slipped out of the arena just after Yuma exited! Thankfully, he and Demi-san were in a getaway car nearby and I managed to wave goodbye to them while the car sped away. It wouldn't surprise me if Yuma and Shoma planned to exit the arena in this manner. Shoma is a sneaky, sneaky boy! 😆
Does he not like taking pictures and giving autographs after competitions? I thought he did that a lot in the past.

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Words cannot express how devastated I feel right now, having watched it all live. I handed out many special Shoma fan gift bags to fans from around the world. Even Shoma himself has one, as I managed to give it to a member of his "dream team" with the request that it be given to him. I feel as if I did something terribly wrong as a fan; I couldn't find a certain breakfast food that I ate before both of his winning free skates. I can't help but wonder how everything went so wrong, whether it was really all my fault or not... It feels so bitter, especially when I recall how gorgeous his short program was...sigh. The thought of freezing out in the snow is incredibly tempting right now...

I suppose this is the end for our sweet little Shoma. I may have to step away from the figure skating world for a while after the gala. 💔

Last edited:

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does he not like taking pictures and giving autographs after competitions? I thought he did that a lot in the past.
Well, I was attempting to get an autograph after an official practice session at the practice rink during the competition. Back when I gave him a stuffed giraffe at Skate America 2021, it was after the gala ended. I was incredibly lucky to get that chance, as he was attempting to leave due to having to catch a flight to Japan. I do also think he likes his privacy and doesn't always appreciate big crowds of people bothering him. I suppose one has to be careful of how one seeks the attention of an introvert. 😂 Someone at Skate Canada 2022 also told me that it is incredibly difficult to get his autograph. And yet...my quest to obtain his autograph will still continue tomorrow, at least. Whether it will continue further remains to be seen.

Figskater23

Final Flight
Words cannot express how devastated I feel right now, having watched it all live. I handed out many special Shoma fan gift bags to fans from around the world. Even Shoma himself has one, as I managed to give it to a member of his "dream team" with the request that it be given to him. I feel as if I did something terribly wrong as a fan; I couldn't find a certain breakfast food that I ate before both of his winning free skates. I can't help but wonder how everything went so wrong, whether it was really all my fault or not... It feels so bitter, especially when I recall how gorgeous his short program was...sigh. The thought of freezing out in the snow is incredibly tempting right now...

I suppose this is the end for our sweet little Shoma. I may have to step away from the figure skating world for a while after the gala. 💔
Hey now don’t be hard on yourself. I’m someone who doesn’t believe in jinxs. What you made for Shoma was something special that I’m sure touched his heart. I’m a firm believer that he and/or his team sees the fandom we have here. I don’t think he would want you to feel that way. Maybe he’ll decide to retire. Maybe not. Based on what he has said it doesn’t seem like he is really going to think hard about it for now. He’ll let everyone know when he is ready. This one performance doesn’t define him. Yes, it wasn’t what he wanted or what we were expecting, but whether this is his last competitive program or not he is the best.

rabidline

Final Flight

@yuumagical , it's not your fault at all. Shoma said that he is thankful for fan support no matter what forms, from those who travel to watch him to us who can only follow from home. Thank you for being there for him and sharing so many gifts with other fans.

I just spent the last three hours crying but I think at least for me, this Worlds was never about the result or placement or even the mistakes. I knew in my heart that Shoma... no longer needs anything from competitive skating. You cannot give anything to a man who is not asking for anything. I think in the SP he has a good day, and in the FS he had a bad day, like all athletes do. And just with bad days, he did everything he can to fight it off. But I think at this point, he has reached a point in his career where neither the seasons' best in the SP nor the bad day in the FS are crushing or motivating anymore to him. And that's what made me so nervous before Worlds, because I don't know what comes next.

But at the end, Shoma is Shoma. He was able to end both programs with a smile, both good and bad, just like he wanted. The clear mistakes also makes it easier to accept that it's not his competition, unlike what happened at NHK Trophy. And at the end, when you see him smiling and cheering at the green room, there is no trace of bitterness. He loves skating- and he cares about his fellow competitors.

I cried really hard today. And now as I wrote this I started to cry again. But it's not tears of sadness or regrets- it's gratitude. Time comes for everyone, and it's Shoma's time, but he remains himself until the end- and the thing I wish the most for him, for him to be happy... he is happy. And it hurts because that means the time to let him go is soon, but as a fan the biggest happiness is when there is nothing else I can ask.

rain & fog

Spectator
Aw, Shoma.

Lovely Shoma fan family, it's ok. He is, and he is going to keep being a happy human. He is all grown up, and he has had mentors and friends and family and loved ones all along the way. And if it is sad tonight, I'm still very thankful for how things turned out.

I will always feel grateful that in his darker hours he had the wisdom - or instinct - to choose a team who knows that in the art of skating, as in the art of living, success is made of more than victories.

(And don't be too sure about the future yet either. He may even be inspired to keep going in a Jason way and delight everyone with the pure art of it. Well he does that anyway.)

Hello from a loooong time fan and lurker who wanted to share with you in this moment! :)