Should ISU take a stance on Yagudin's insults against other athletes? | Golden Skate

Should ISU take a stance on Yagudin's insults against other athletes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
UPDATE: Response from Adam Rippon
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBOYvhEMV0-/

-----------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Olympic Champion and 4 times World Champion Alexei Yagudin in his position as commentator for Channel One in Russia has had a recent history of personal attacks against other skaters, most of the time including inappropriate homophobic comments.

Here's what he recently had to say in an Instagram post (now removed) about Adam Rippon donating money to the Okra project.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZ7vr0BXgAAFoqn?format=jpg&name=large

Translation: "F*cik, Adam. When all of you will die? Earth’s mistake ."

Unfortunately this is only one of many comments he said or posted in the last year in particular (Jason Brown is often his main target), here's a summary of what he said in the past both on social media and during competitions:

1) Skate America 2019, Jason Brown is getting ready to perform his short program:
“Well, we can just borrow Jason’s time <and continue to talk about Dmitry Aliev’s skating> — it’s totally fine, ‘cause now he’s gonna only wave his legs in the air and… and nothing more, really.”

2) World Championships 2019, after Jason Brown’s short program: “His skating skills are amazing, he is a good skater, but nothing more. And thank God that apart from the short program we still have the free one, where without quad jumps he will finally be put in his proper place.”

3) World Championships 2019, Jason Brown’s free skating: “He is really like a glass of champagne with some lipstick on it” (a hint of his skating being “feminine”).

4) Free skating, Jason performed after Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen: “We really don’t care how Jason Brown will skate now. We can just sit back, relax, and watch it, since we had already have piece de resistance, and this is a sweet, soft ending of a banquet… like, you know, when you are already full, but there is still something on the table, and it’s just a pity to throw out.”

5) European Championships 2019, about Latvian athlete Deniss Vasiljevs short program: “You are a man, you compete in the men's singles discipline, so you have to jump <quads>. With content like that I’d lose junior world championships in 1997.”

6) World Championships 2019, after the free skate of Mikhail Kolyada, two-time Russian national champion: “I’d like to hear, ‘Forgive us, we’re ashamed’ from these people.”

7) “I don’t get it why people are suddenly standing up for Brown. He’s a f*gg*t who can’t even jump triples” — Mr. Yagudin reacted to this with the emoji picturing applause.

8) Instagram post: "Thank you everybody. Grand-Prix Final is very soon, we will support all of you. P. S. And thanks very much sergeyvoronov for "my favourite" Jason Brown didn't come to Grand Prix Final, or it would be a real SHAME."

9) Interview: "If I ever weigh a hundred kilos, I’ll shoot myself. It’s not a popular opinion these days, but I don’t think fat people are beautiful, and I’m convinced that you should fight your excess weight. Besides, it’s not even comfortable to be a fatty."

(Source)

How can ISU allow this sort of behaviour between negative attitudes towards worthy athletes and even down to personal attacks constantly violating professional ethics even during ISU competitions? one thing is to have an opinion about guys competing without performing quads (which we can agree or disagree), another is to attack so directly athletes for private matters.

This both damages the image of Channel One and ISU, it is sad to see Figure Skating competitions used as a platform to spread homophobia, hatred and fat shaming.

Last season Channel 1 was the only national TV-channel eligible to broadcast figure skating events in Russia, so for russian people they cannot even switch to another channel as he suggested in one of his comments.

Also worth noting that there is an ongoing petition against Yagudin, asking Russia management of sport broadcasting to remove him from his position of commentator.

https://www.change.org/p/первый-кан...нтирования-соревнований-по-фигурному-катанию?

What's your opinion on all of this?

Arbitrary

Medalist
They could but it's pointless.
The best ISU could do here - to appeal to IOC to strip him off the OGM-2002.

And who would be the main beneficiary?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I don't know if the ISU should hold such power over a commentator. The network that hires Yagudin, yes.

We've had loads of comments that have been ugly towards skaters (perhaps not quite as ugly as this). I think Johnny Weir got homophobic comments from Canadian commentators, and (going off memory of a translation) Guillaume Cizeron was referred to as "a woman" by Russians. Those happened on broadcast. Yagudin uses coded language, yet at least keeps the gross opinions off the TV. But this comment about Rippon needs to be dealt with by Channel One.

For the rest of it, IMO, while he can be less rude about the quads, I think the network shoud hold the power. Ashley Wagner made repeatedly rude remarks about Jin Boyang during the past few seasons, and also about Alina Zagitova during the Olympics, and attempted to disguise them as "snark" and "sass". I wish most of these people would just leave. A lot of visible skaters tend to just not be particularly nice people, IMO.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

They could not invite him at competitions at least? Or at the very minimum make a statement against this suggesting Channel One to fire him.

ISU and Figure Skating associations/federations should protect athletes from these public insults.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't know if the ISU should hold such power over a commentator. The network that hires Yagudin, yes. We've had loads of comments that have been ugly towards skaters (perhaps not quite as ugly as this). I think Johnny Weir got homophobic comments from Canadian commentators, and (going off memory of a translation) Guillaume Cizeron was referred to as "a woman" by Russians. Those happened on broadcast. Yagudin uses coded language, yet at least keeps the gross opinions off the TV?

Sorry, but IMO, while he can be less rude about the quads, I think the network holds the power. Ashley Wagner made repeatedly rude remarks about Jin Boyang during the past few seasons, and also about Alina Zagitova during the Olympics, and attempted to disguise them as "snark" and "sass". I wish most of these people would just leave. A lot of visible skaters tend to just not be particularly nice people, IMO.

Yagudin's words on Rippon is much more as a simple insult. I can't believe he said it! :(

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Yagudin's words on Rippon is much more as a simple insult. I can't believe he said it! :(

And I absolutely think he should be fired for it. I'm just not sure if the ISU needs to get involved. For the rest of it I was talking about his criticism of skaters who don't do quads and what he's said before this. Should have been clearer there.

mrrice

Record Breaker
They could not invite him at competitions at least? Or at the very minimum make a statement against this suggesting Channel One to fire him.

ISU and Figure Skating associations/federations should protect athletes from these public insults.

I agree. The ISU has no power over who a network chooses to hire. Their best bet would be to ask for a different commentator. However, it will come down to ratings. If Yagudin brings in the numbers, he stays.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Don't know about ISU involvement, but I really don't get why the broadcasters/networks keep him in. I'm a big fan of his skating, but definitely not of his commenting. The comments even tend to take away the enjoyment in watching his skating programmes now. These remarks are really disturbing. Most of them not just rude which would be forgiveable if acknowledged and apologised for (which he hasn't done), but truly insulting, shaming, homophobic and everything else.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Like others have said, as Yagudin isn't employed by the ISU, I don't think they really have the power to sanction him in any formal way. But if one of the athletes he has maligned, who's still an active skater, petitioned for it, they might be able to refuse him permission to attend ISU events in any role (other than paying audience member, presumably) on the grounds that he creates a hostile work environment for their athletes. If anything he's said goes against published ISU statements regarding non-discrimination policies etc, they'd have even stronger grounds for it.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Unless you happen to be Russian tax payer,it's none of your concern who and why is employed by Pervyy Kanal.

Mind your business.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Unless you happen to be Russian tax payer,it's none of your concern who and why is employed by Pervyy Kanal.

Mind your business.

Russian networks commenting on a world sport when one of the commentators happens to be insulting international athletes absolutely means it's open to worldwide criticism. If this network can't take international criticism, it's free to make sure the commentary can't get past Russian borders.

Pantsu

On the Ice
1) Skate America 2019, Jason Brown is getting ready to perform his short program:
“Well, we can just borrow Jason’s time <and continue to talk about Dmitry Aliev’s skating> — it’s totally fine, ‘cause now he’s gonna only wave his legs in the air and… and nothing more, really.”

2) World Championships 2019, after Jason Brown’s short program: “His skating skills are amazing, he is a good skater, but nothing more. And thank God that apart from the short program we still have the free one, where without quad jumps he will finally be put in his proper place.”

3) World Championships 2019, Jason Brown’s free skating: “He is really like a glass of champagne with some lipstick on it” (a hint of his skating being “feminine”).

4) Free skating, Jason performed after Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen: “We really don’t care how Jason Brown will skate now. We can just sit back, relax, and watch it, since we had already have piece de resistance, and this is a sweet, soft ending of a banquet… like, you know, when you are already full, but there is still something on the table, and it’s just a pity to throw out.”

5) European Championships 2019, about Latvian athlete Deniss Vasiljevs short program: “You are a man, you compete in the men's singles discipline, so you have to jump <quads>. With content like that I’d lose junior world championships in 1997.”

6) World Championships 2019, after the free skate of Mikhail Kolyada, two-time Russian national champion: “I’d like to hear, ‘Forgive us, we’re ashamed’ from these people.”

These comments are absolutely normal

How can ISU allow this sort of behaviour between negative attitudes towards worthy athletes and even down to personal attacks constantly violating professional ethics even during ISU competitions? one thing is to have an opinion about guys competing without performing quads (which we can agree or disagree), another is to attack so directly athletes for private matters.

This both damages the image of Channel One and ISU, it is sad to see Figure Skating competitions used as a platform to spread homophobia, hatred and fat shaming.

Where is homophobia and fat shaming in those comments ?

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Russian networks commenting on a world sport when one of the commentators happens to be insulting international athletes absolutely means it's open to worldwide criticism. If this network can't take international criticism, it's free to make sure the commentary can't get past Russian borders.

criticize anything you want.

I am just telling you that any non russian national has no say whatever does 1TV do with its employees.

ruga

Final Flight
The most that ISU can do is ban him from officially appearing at events. Obviously, not as a skater, but as a gala skater or one of the representatives who give out flowers and medals. And prevent him from becoming a judge probably - he clearly has shown that he is subjective against certain skaters. But otherwise, his comments were absolutely disgusting. Yes, his views may not match Adam's, but Adam is free to donate to whoever he wants and wishing someone death for that is completely unacceptable.

Arbitrary

Medalist
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

on what grounds?

Not worthy person to be a part of the Great Row of Olympionics.
Say, for being under a criminal prosecution. Unlikely he will face one from within Russia, but may easily find himself "unwelcome anymore" by any of international money holders.

Scott512

Record Breaker

The silver medalist from 2002 would be the beneficiary. Who could that be? ;)

Even though he is one of the all-time greats Alexei Yagudin should be disciplined by Channel 1 in Russia. What is the matter with him? If he really said those things Yagudin should be suspended or fired from his job. You can be a completely heterosexual male like me and find his comments more than insulting or insensitive. He has a wife and two daughters. Where is his wife to say hey chill? They are a family of figure skaters they have been around gay people most of their adult lives.

Alexeis comments are a different kind of terrible from Rodinas which are often terrible as well. Again Yagudin is an all-time great figure skater. But that won't make him an all-time great analyst. Some of his comments are just horrendous and outrageous. I am not sure the ISU should get involved with this but channel one should and I don't think one person would stop being a viewer of Russia's figure skating if he was not the color commentator.

This dude is an all-time great figure skater and is married to a great Olympic gold medalist pairs figure skater and they have two daughters. He should be a hero in Russia and to figure skating fans worldwide. My message to Yagudin is be a hero not an a******.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
criticize anything you want.

I am just telling you that any non russian national has no say whatever does 1TV do with its employees.

Mind your business.

1) He's using ISU international competitions as a platform for these kind of comments, insults and harassment. In a way ISU's lack of response towards this, makes it seems like they are okay with a commentator actively harassing athletes. It should be ISU's interest to defend skaters first.

2) He made many of these comments in non-russian international social media platforms such as Instagram and Youtube (since Pervy Kanal does upload videos there as well)

3) He's insulting athletes from other federations, showing unsportsmanlike conduct among the other things.

4) Mind you the petition started from russian people in the first place.

Where is homophobia and fat shaming in those comments ?

Please read the other comments as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.