** Skate America ** | Page 2 | Golden Skate

** Skate America **

KKonas

Medalist
Ontario, CA will be my 19th Skate America, since 1985. Skate America wasn't held 1987) Attended most in the 85-2001 time frame. The one I remembered most was when I got mugged while in Oakland, CA (1991). Always enjoyed Skate America as it was the first in the GP series.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I attended Skate America in Atlantic City, Reading PA and in Lake Placid. I had a great time at all of them. The best one was Lake Placid. All the Olympic History there was amazing and nothing was better then watching Andrei Lutai getting arrested outside my hotel! It's usually 4 days of fun. The average concert or skaking show can run you 50 -150 dollars where you can get 4 days worth of skating for 150 dollars! it's really awesome. I would love to be going this year but I guess I will have to wait until it's back on the East Coast.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It's in my backyard this year, so I decided to volunteer. I'll be in arena accreditation.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey blue dog, is it safe to walk around that part of town at night? I am staying at the LaQuinta....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
With 10 days to go, I doubt that he would pull without a good reason....it would smack of just a stunt to get the attendance numbers up.....and what does he really have to lose?
Its in his back yard, and can easily get a feel if another season is what he wants to do....I wish him the best in any case.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Re: Ice dance roster

The Russian team, Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN, was removed from the roster. As a result currently there are only 7 teams to compete at SA.
Does anyone know:

1. Why their names are removed;
2. Whether USFS replace the one missing ice dance team;
3. If USFS intends to replace, who that team might be? :think:

littlebird

Spectator
Re: Ice dance roster

The Russian team, Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN, was removed from the roster. As a result currently there are only 7 teams to compete at SA.
Does anyone know:

1. Why their names are removed;
2. Whether USFS replace the one missing ice dance team;
3. If USFS intends to replace, who that team might be? :think:

The GP rosters as of today (Oct. 10): http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2932

MONKO / KHALIAVIN was replaced by TOBIAS / STAGNIUNAS (LTU) at Skate America. M/K had withdrawn, supposedly due to him falling ill (according to FSU) :(

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the info. I hope Kirill's illness is nothing serious. I was looking forward to seeing their senior debut. Guess I have to wait till their next GP assignment, provided, of course, Kirill is well by then.

On the other hand, I am happy for TOBIAS / STAGNIUNAS, who ended up having two GP assignments. Good for them. :)

littlebird

Spectator
Me, too. I was very curious to see what they would do, since I haven't seen any news about them all summer. I hope they can skate at their second event. But I still look forward to Skate America! The presumable fight for bronze will hopefully be interesting here, with Hubbell/Donohue and Paul/Islam among others, and on top of that, Stagniunas is a pleasure to watch!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Back in 2006, Skate America was in Hartford, CT. I was living in Norwalk at the time. I wanted to go, but there were some things going on and I wasn't able to make it. :disapp:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's the last one I went to! I live in Groton, CT, and had the time to go, so there was no way I was missing it.

lcd

Match Penalty
Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll see an event like Skate America or Nationals come to Boston!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
From an economic aspect, I wonder how the promotors did at the last three SkateAmericas? I could well believe Lake Placid did OK, but I wonder
how the promoters in Portland did? If the seats dont fill, the future promoters wont issue bids for any great amounts which maybe means big cities
will not be interested, perhaps.

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
I was fortunate enough to attend SA in 1999, 2000 and 2001 in Colorado Springs and 2002 in Spokane. I'm planning on going to 4CCs in February (I think that's when 4CCs is). Can't wait. I haven't been to a skating competition/show since Spokane. :eek:

kappa_1

On the Ice
That's the last one I went to! I live in Groton, CT, and had the time to go, so there was no way I was missing it.

Same here! I was in New Haven at the time, and got my roommate to drive and attend with me. He was such a good sport, he sat through all of ice dance and the ladies' free skate. Such a good competition, won by soon-to-be world champ Miki Ando.

I since moved to Louisiana where there is no hope of seeing live skating, ever :(

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I understand SA's broadcast will be split into online and network for the Americans. Is there any live srteam outside the US?

It seems in general, livestreams are only available when one has to stay up overnight to watch them. :sheesh: