Skate Canada 2024 Junior and Senior Sectionals | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2024 Junior and Senior Sectionals

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
There are international novice competitions. Skate Canada has sent a few skaters to these in previous years.
And I remember now I've seen smaller competitions in other countries with even lower levels and occasionally an entrant from another country, right. I guess I see "internationals" and just think of the big ones for juniors and seniors. I only drop in occasionally to the statistic and fan threads. I just happened to see that about an 11-year-old and it gave me a flashback to the Tracey Wainman mess, which was in my era and a big topic of conversation then in clubs and competition dressing rooms.

Linzylou14

Rinkside
Thats really interesting because I have never heard of an international Novice competition. Ill search some up right now.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There is one coming up now in Belgrade, Serbia. Only singles, but I don't think there are any Canadian entrants this time round.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Thats really interesting because I have never heard of an international Novice competition. Ill search some up right now.
There are actually a lot of them, almost all medium-sized international junior/senior competitions also include novice categories.

Canada doesn't necessarily send skaters out to novice competitions too often, but when they do, it's often in combination with juniors and seniors sent to the same competitions.

Linzylou14

Rinkside
Yea, i ended up looking at some. The USA does a lot of them, like the cranberry cup last year. But i feel like novice internationals are not made that big of a deal as junior or senior internationals, hence why i haven't heard of them.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Yea, i ended up looking at some. The USA does a lot of them, like the cranberry cup last year. But i feel like novice internationals are not made that big of a deal as junior or senior internationals, hence why i haven't heard of them.
And when I was a junior competitor, a generation (or two) ago, that was the situation for them as well. There was junior worlds, but nobody outside skating heard about that. As far as media coverage went, it was seniors or nothing. If Junior Canadians was held at the same time and place as the seniors, they might show the winners or all medallists' performances after the fact on TV, as a time-filler during ice resurfacing, but no other information.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Coupe du printemps is (one of) the competition(s) where Skate Canada tends to send novice skaters. (just from memory)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Both the US & Canada sent novice men & ladies to Coupe de Printemps last season.

Bavarian Open has international novices in all disciplines.

The US sent ice dancers to its adv. novice competition last season.

So does Egna Dance Trophy, and US sent Ilin & Cain last season

And in Men & Women, so does Asian Open Trophy. Last year there were no American or Canadian novices there

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Coupe du printemps is (one of) the competition(s) where Skate Canada tends to send novice skaters. (just from memory)
They do, last season they sent William Chan, Lucille Yang and Mely-Anne Gagner, plus a few juniors.

Bavarian Open has international novices.

The US sent ice dancers to the adv. novice competition last season.

Impatiently waiting for the entries for this season, not because of the Novices (though they're nice) but I'm especially interested in the pairs entries (last international competition for Jr pairs to get Jr Worlds minimums, apart from the YOG).