Skate Canada 2024 Junior and Senior Sectionals | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2024 Junior and Senior Sectionals

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He moved to Connaught from Champs after 2021-22 season judging by the records, so you're not imagining things :)
Well I guess i am so late with these news that I did imagine he was still with Joanne until recently LOL. Thanks !

I find it particularly interesting to see how Canada's sections are all so different.
Quebec is about the women. They are also fine in pairs and dance but men = no depth.
BC about the men. Nothing else really but Uliana in women.
Ontario has quite a lot of dancers, pairs, women and men but isn't dominant in a particular category.

At least, this is from sectionals... :) Challenge will be different when byes compete and nationals even more so.... Ontario brings up their skaters to the top in seniors.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, I thought Raine/Caidence were not good and they still scored 156. She needs to work on her jumps. If they manage to do that, they can surpass the 165 domestic benchmark, and be sent to international events later on this season or next year. This is the current #5 Pairs team for Canada.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I thought this was going to be in the evening, oops :oops:

Missed Schmitz/Taylor, but looks like they did better than John Nicks/NextGen? 135.98 total

Derenisky/Eberl - oops, combo fall and wonky landing on the landing of the solo jump. I like them, hopefully they'll get the jumps together for Nationals. 156.36 total

Going back to the section strengths, it is nice to see Saskatchewan has two senior pair teams :)

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Schmitz/Taylor botched at least one lift. They left a lot of points…

I agree. I love seeing representation across our provinces.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Junior has 2 from Manitoba and 5 from Saskatchewan. Senior women has 1 Saskatchewan and 3 Manitoba. Junior/Senior women I'll watch when it's archived.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Winner of MB: 88.18
SK: Rebecca Schindle 99.??
Winner of SK: 112.93
Abigail Peace was not bad. She will battle with skaters in the bottom 1/8 at Challenger. She moves fast with confidence. See you at Challenger Abigail 👏

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ah!! Breken!! She can do so much better. Loved her unique combos. She was much better last year. I remember her finishing 7th at Junior Nationals. Just less than a point from 5th place. I thought she deserved that fifth place from PCS.

She was the class of this Sectionals. Nobody else was over 100. Her Overall score was 133.85. But, she is going to have to skate much better, even to just qualify for Senior Nationals. Senior Nationals will be tough. Cut off was 132 last year and I know it will be higher this year because of what I saw in Quebec. So, she is borderline. She can do it though and I’m rooting for her to make it.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Finished up Saskatchewan. Breken was definitely the winner there. Apparently she's training in Hamilton now, so hopefully the change will help her with Challenge. Damien scored around 158, so he might be able to make it to Nationals?

Looking forward to Challenge, I'm planning on going to it for the Senior Women Free :)

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Finished up Saskatchewan. Breken was definitely the winner there. Apparently she's training in Hamilton now, so hopefully the change will help her with Challenge. Damien scored around 158, so he might be able to make it to Nationals?

Looking forward to Challenge, I'm planning on going to it for the Senior Women Free :)
Yes. Hopefully, Breken and Damien pull through.

Linzylou14

Rinkside
If Lia Cho won both challenge 2024 and novice nationals, would they still send her to internationals? She is too young to compete junior (11 yrs) so im not sure. Would she be an exception?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
If Lia Cho won both challenge 2024 and novice nationals, would they still send her to internationals? She is too young to compete junior (11 yrs) so im not sure. Would she be an exception?
I'm not into or up on the rules like so many are here, but I can't see an exception being made for any little kid no matter how talented. Even if it were possible to bend the rules that much for one skater, I would think Skate Canada/CFSA had learned their lesson in 1980 with Tracey Wainman.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There are international novice competitions. Skate Canada has sent a few skaters to these in previous years.