Skaters you Don't Miss | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters you Don't Miss

Eeyora

Final Flight
Tara Lipinski- I never liked her skating, her jumps were tiny and every program looked the same.

Gary Beacom- Sorry I didn't get it either

Philippe Candeloro- The first time he took off his shirt It was funny. After that it got really really old. I never even thought he was that good looking.

Usova and Zhulin- They bored me to tears.

Surya Bonaly- The 1994 medal incident need I say more.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Johar said:
Gary Beacom. I just never got into his skating. Uh, is he out of jail?

I think by now he might be. I forgot all about that. What really bugged me about it is the fact he was going off about wanting to challenge the 16th amendment to the Constitution and saying that income tax is unethical, etc, etc. All well and good -- except he's CANADIAN. I personally would not THINK of moving to Canada and then violating and criticizing THEIR tax laws, it would be much appreciated if he would have done the same down here.

Jhar55

Medalist
Wow, after reading I see few other I don't miss, guess that's why I 've forgot all about them.

S

SkateFan4Life

JonnyCoop said:
I think by now he might be. I forgot all about that. What really bugged me about it is the fact he was going off about wanting to challenge the 16th amendment to the Constitution and saying that income tax is unethical, etc, etc. All well and good -- except he's CANADIAN. I personally would not THINK of moving to Canada and then violating and criticizing THEIR tax laws, it would be much appreciated if he would have done the same down here.

Amen! IMHO, Gary Beacom was way, way out of line with his criticisms of the United States and his conduct vis-a-vis the tax laws of the USA. As you write, I would NEVER think of moving to Canada - or any other country - and then bash that country and its laws.

He is one skater I hope to NEVER see again. :mad:

S

SkateFan4Life

I don't miss Linda Fratianne, either. To me, she was a stilted technician but not at all artistic. Her programs left me cold. While I think she outskated Annet Poetzch at the 1980 Winter Olympics, she didn't exactly skate the king of long program that could have sealed a victory.

I also don't miss Tiffany Chin. She was cute, and when she competed at the 1984 Olympics, she was fantastic, just missing the podium. Somewhere along the way Tiffany lost her focus and eventually retired from competition.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Gary Beacom has been out of jail for a long time now. I think he married and has a child. I know he was skating last time I heard (in Canada) but have no idea what he is up to now. I did love his skating but after pulling that I have no desire to see him again.

TwizzlerS

Rinkside
Focusing on skaters/teams that moved on from eligible skating,

I don't miss the following Ladies who were or are boring as "pros":
Katarina Witt
Rozalyn Sumners
Debi Thomas
Linda Fratianne
Sarah Hughes
Tara Lipinski
Jennifer Robinson
Maria Butryskaya
Lu Chen
Nancy Kerrigan
Oksana Bauil
Nicole Bobek (although her Ice Wars routine redeemed her somewhat in my book)

In contrast, these ladies kept my interest as pros:
Dorothy Hamill
Denise Bielman
Kristi Yamaguchi

Men who are/were boring as pros:
Kurt Browning (except Nyah which was brilliant)
Phillipe Candeloro
Victor Petrenko
Alexei Yagudin
Elvis Stoyko
Rudy Galindo (although I cried after his Send in the Clowns routine)
Alexei Urmanov (I don't get his programs but gorgeous technique)
Robin Cousins
Steven Cousins

In contrast, these men kept my interest:
Paul Wylie (even though all his programs are the same)
Todd Eldredge (his smooth skating skills are delicious)
Brian Boitano (fabulous technique and tries new things)
Gary Beacom (a true innovator)
Scott Hamilton (great entertainer)

I don't see many "pro" dance or pair teams, but I don't miss the following:
Ina & Zimmerman
Meno & Sand
Bourne & Kraatz
B & S (except Falling and a few other programs)
Sale & Pelltier
Fusar-Poli & Margazio
Kazakova & Dmietriev

On the other hand,
I really miss Torvil & Dean
Drobiasko & Vanagas (since I can't see their programs)
Klimova & Ponomarenko
Bestiamova & Bukin
Blumberg & Seibert
Gordeeva & Grinkov
Wilson & McCall

Kasey

Medalist
Seeing all the various names, I guess it does take all kinds to make the (skating) world go round!

Kasey

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Hard list to make!

I am laughing as I want to respond to this thread because the skaters I don't miss I have forgotten about, and it is so hard to remember them! But I really don't miss....

Scott Davis,
Alexei Urmanov,
Philippe Candeloro,
Jill Trenary,
Surya Bonaly,
Tara Lipinski,
Sarah Hughes,
Elvis Stojko,
Scott & Dulebohn---even though they are still competing,
Kitty & Peter Carruthers---Olympic silver medalists,
Meno & Sand---world silver & bronze medals,
Woetzel & Steuer---world champions,
Kovarikova & Novotny---world champions,
Eltsova & Bushkov---world champions,
Oksana Grichuk,
Alexander Zulin,
Roz Sumners---mainly because she was done after so long,
Katarina Witt---same reason.

I love a lot of the skating by these skaters, but I don't miss seeing them perform on TV or live any more.

missflick

On the Ice
I used to love Stojko, but he has become quite boring.
I never liked Oksana Grischuk.
I used to like Candeloro as an amateur, but as a pro all he does is strip.

That is just off the top of my head.

Eliza

Rinkside
Skaters not missed
Candeloro
Bonaly
Kerrigan
Witt
Lipinski
Grischuk & Platov
Stojko
Bestemianova & Bukin

Skaters I look forward to not missing
Hamilton - His comedy routines are OK once, but then I don't care to see them again. A lot of the time I don't bother saving his routines on tape.

Weiss - Some of the worst exhibition programs I've ever seen.

Plushenko - Same comment as for Weiss

Browning - I used to like him, but I'm not too crazy about some of the comedy stuff he's been doing. I hated his Ice Wars toybox routines. They should have been called Silly & Boring parts I & II.

Skaters I will miss terribly some day when they retire from skating
Yagudin
Weir
Eldredge
Kwan
Shen & Zhao

Eliza

sk8m8

Final Flight
I may be condemned to "skating hell" however, I don't miss ( and never did) the supposed great Janet Lynn. I didn't like her skating. I thought it was overrated and I think she took away a lot of attention from the great Karen Magnuson. And speaking of which, THERE is a skater I miss, her professional career was too short and IMHO she had everything Janet Lynn did, only much moreso.

soogar

Record Breaker
I didn't think much of Janet Lynn either, though I'm judging her on the performances I saw on Magic Memories on Ice. I think she got a lot of sympathy b/c she was religious and looked like a Midwest angel.

guinevere

Final Flight
I do not miss AP McDonough. I don't know if she's even skating this season, but she's not in the GP and I have not missed her so much I forgot about her until this moment.

Linny

Final Flight
Ap

I miss laughing at whichever animal graced AP's chest and wondering which animal would be next...
Linny

Antilles

Medalist
S&P and B&K. Mostly because I no longer have to listen to the Canadian media gushing about how absolutely perfect they are, and how many times they were "robbed".

Stojko-I loved that he had his own style and refused to conform for the judges, but his style is now rather boring. He always does the same thing. I am sick of him skating around doing not much other than lip-synching. Stop singing and freakin' skate!

Boitano-great skater and technician, he just really never did anything for me.

Petrenko&Candeloro in their later pro years. They had great eligible material, but then they got downright silly.

Lipinksi-never was a fan, but she was a good, consistent skater.

Fusar-Poli and Margaglio-although I do miss her little "catfights" with Anissina. Those were a hoot.

Lobacheva&Averbukh-overhyped, and they shouldn't have even finished second with that FD in 2003. IMO, they were lucky to be on the podium. B&K, D&S and N&K had better programs that year. Their "we wuz robbed" attitude after Worlds 2003 was the final straw for me.

G&P-they had some great skills, and boy could she twizzle, but they should not have been undefeated for 4 years.

pipsqueak

Rinkside
Could someone tally these up?

sk8m8 said:
I may be condemned to "skating hell" however, I don't miss ( and never did) the supposed great Janet Lynn. I didn't like her skating. I thought it was overrated and I think she took away a lot of attention from the great Karen Magnuson. And speaking of which, THERE is a skater I miss, her professional career was too short and IMHO she had everything Janet Lynn did, only much moreso.

Ha Ha: "Skating Hell" ROFL. :rofl: But we of the board KNOW that there is such a thing and perhaps you are dangerously close to it. So, you must kneel down quickly and say 5 "Salchows" in a row without slurring. That will save you.

Now, I would like to know if some enterprising, bored, unemployed member will go through all these so named "People You Don't Miss At All", and rank them according to times mentioned, so we can see if there is a pattern here. I, for one, noticed Lipinski, Kerrigan, Hughs, for instance, mentioned in almost every post. It would be interesting if someone would stay up all night counting these up and posting a ranking for us. Please ? Someone? Someone who is not me?

Panther2000

On the Ice
chuckm said:
Tara Lipinski - small jumps, tiny acting talent
Oksana Baiul - over the top dramatics, double-footed skating
Sarah Hughes - faulty technique, bad posture
Philippe Candeloro - unwashed hair, no shirt, BO--Phew!
Maria Butyrskaya - stiff, made me nervous
Alexei Urmanov - the gloved one, never got him
Elvis Stojko - brillo hair, stodgy skating
Fusar-Poli/Margaglio - frantic skating
Lobacheva/Averbuch - that green-costumed rock'n'roll number will live in infamy
Viktor Petrenko - who let the dog in?
Can I get a Witness. I second your list here. :rock: