Sondre Oddvoll Bøe | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sondre Oddvoll Bøe

Country
Norway
According to a IG-post yesterday, Sondre has caught a cold, so i´m guessing he can´t go back to the rink before he has tested for Covid and his symptoms are gone. Hope he recovers real quick!

Maybe it was lucky he already has WD from NT. If he was still planning to go, I imagine he would be far more disappointed so close to the departure.

This is also a reminder of how fragile this season is. Catch a cold and you can not train or go to comps before symptoms are gone and a negative test.

Country
Norway
Harriet mentioned in another thread that the site for Volvo Cup is up, so it might go as planned next month. I got my hopes up, because Latvia is today one of 3 countries in Europe which doesn´t require a quarantine upon arrival to Norway. So I thought that Sondre may would want to go to this one, as it wouldn´t require quarantine after returning to Norway.

But then I tried to check the travel restrictions for Latvia and it seems they are very strict. Well it kinda make sense why the numbers are so low there. Countries who have more than 16 cases per 100,000 inhabitants will be required to self-isolate for 10 days upon arrival. Norway has now around 27-28 cases per 100,000 inhabitants now, so there goes that...

And it seems no other European country is below that number, so literally no foreign skaters will be allowed into the country (well there is actually outside Europe, but not sure it´s an option). So i´m not even sure how they are going to make that happen?

Or is there perhaps a hope they might make exceptions for skaters, if they can prove they have a negative Covid-test?

I really want Sondre to get to compete soon!

DenissVFan

Medalist
Harriet mentioned in another thread that the site for Volvo Cup is up, so it might go as planned next month. I got my hopes up, because Latvia is today one of 3 countries in Europe which doesn´t require a quarantine upon arrival to Norway. So I thought that Sondre may would want to go to this one, as it wouldn´t require quarantine after returning to Norway.

But then I tried to check the travel restrictions for Latvia and it seems they are very strict. Well it kinda make sense why the numbers are so low there. Countries who have more than 16 cases per 100,000 inhabitants will be required to self-isolate for 10 days upon arrival. Norway has now around 27-28 cases per 100,000 inhabitants now, so there goes that...

And it seems no other European country is below that number, so literally no foreign skaters will be allowed into the country (well there is actually outside Europe, but not sure it´s an option). So i´m not even sure how they are going to make that happen?

Or is there perhaps a hope they might make exceptions for skaters, if they can prove they have a negative Covid-test?

I really want Sondre to get to compete soon!
I think I read somewhere that Latvia exempts its own athletes (in all disciplines) from quarantine but I'm not sure about international ones. There may be some additional rules that we haven't found though. For Germany it was either quarantine or a negative Covid test result if you came from a risk area.

I'll try to see if Poland is an option for Sondre (not that the situation is great but the Warsaw Cup is go as of today). In August international athletes competing in high level international competitions in Poland were made exempt from quarantine but I'm not sure if it's still the case now.

Country
Norway
I think I read somewhere that Latvia exempts its own athletes (in all disciplines) from quarantine but I'm not sure about international ones. There may be some additional rules that we haven't found though. For Germany it was either quarantine or a negative Covid test result if you came from a risk area.

I'll try to see if Poland is an option for Sondre (not that the situation is great but the Warsaw Cup is go as of today). In August international athletes competing in high level international competitions in Poland were made exempt from quarantine but I'm not sure if it's still the case now.
I don´t think Poland is an option for Sondre. It´s possible that athletes would enter the country without quarantine, but Poland is now way over the requirements for going into Norway without quarantine, and i´m not sure he would take the risk of 10 days without practice and possible expose himself for Covid.

As I was writing the post earlier about Latvia (I seem to jinx it), Norway changed the travel advices and there are now no countries in which doesn´t require 10 days of self-isolation/quarantine upon arrival to Norway. (Except a few regions in the nordic countries). Latvia is now just above requirement, but if they get control over the new cases they might be under again. That is my hope, but then again, it´s the question if they would let athletes in without quarantine.

To be honest, I don´t think Sondre will have the chance to compete international before earliest 2021, because of the whole Covid-situation. Either he would have to self-isolate in 10 days after returning home, which he and his team probably isn´t considering as an option or I think we would have seen him at NT. And the few countries which might be an option because of low numbers, probably won´t let him in because of strict travel advices. And it kinda makes sense because such countries probably have low numbers because of the measures...

We might see his new programs at Norwegian Championship in January. It was streamed last year, so i´m sure they will do it this year also.

I had a wild thought that Sondre might go back to Oberstdorf to train again just to be able to get some international comps and competing exercise. We have seen some strange/necessary coach changes so far because of the pandemic and closed borders. With the travel restrictions we have in Norway it would be really difficult for him to achieve his goals for going to WC and OG. And because he doesn´t have the technical requirements yet, he really doesn´t have many comps to loose. Maybe he could go back to Mr. Huth. Not sure if it´s an option though. I´m also dreaming about him being coached by Lambiel :love2: (Wild dreaming, I know).

Well he moved back to Norway because he missed his social life and everyday life, and with the travel restrictions and all it´s probably not likely that he would make such a move, but... you know. It was just a thought. He might not go for another OG if he doesn´t get to the next one, so maybe he has to make sacrifices to get there.

Last edited:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As I was writing the post earlier about Latvia (I seem to jinx it), Norway changed the travel advices and there are now no countries in which doesn´t require 10 days of self-isolation/quarantine upon arrival to Norway. (Except a few regions in the nordic countries). Latvia is now just above requirement, but if they get control over the new cases they might be under again. That is my hope, but then again, it´s the question if they would let athletes in without quarantine.

Sondre may be in luck; Latvia's daily new case numbers are coming down a little bit again, so they might scrape by the limits. And they have an exception to their ten-day self-isolation rule for athletes entering the country to compete in internationally recognised events (which would include the Volvo Open, as athletes can gain championship and Olympic minimum TES there), which would make life even easier.

We might see his new programs at Norwegian Championship in January. It was streamed last year, so i´m sure they will do it this year also.

Fingers crossed!

I had a wild thought that Sondre might go back to Oberstdorf to train again just to be able to get some international comps and competing exercise.

Selfishly, I would love to see him training at Oberstdorf again, but I can understand why he might prefer not to.

Country
Norway
Sondre may be in luck; Latvia's daily new case numbers are coming down a little bit again, so they might scrape by the limits. And they have an exception to their ten-day self-isolation rule for athletes entering the country to compete in internationally recognised events (which would include the Volvo Open, as athletes can gain championship and Olympic minimum TES there), which would make life even easier.

Fingers crossed!

Selfishly, I would love to see him training at Oberstdorf again, but I can understand why he might prefer not to.

Oh, this is great news. It actually means it´s possible! I hope this means he will at least sign up for Volvo Cup, and consider to WD later if it´s not possible. The government usually decides the travel restrictions for every 14 days, which means he will know 2 weeks before it´s possible to go or not, and that should be plenty of time to cancel plane tickets etc.

I see the deadline for entires is in 2 days, so we might know next week if he signed up.

Country
Norway
Just read also that Norway is positive to part of the new proposal of a new Europa map system for travel restrictions. The new map will be based on traffic light colours for different countries based on the current situation- green, yellow and red. Green will mean low risk of travel and probably no restrictions between green countries, yellow means a little risk and should be done with careful consideration, but travel would not require self-isolation but maybe a test? Red probably means not recommended and if you do travel you would have to self-isolate and be in a 10 days quarantine when you travel between red countries. The map will be really similar to what we already use in Norway, as we also divide into green, yellow and red countries, the difference is that the new map will be more liberal in defining red, yellow and red countries.

The meaning behind the map is to have a system which is similar for whole Europe and makes travel in Europe more easy and less confusing. If Norway will stand behind this map and use it, and not use stricter measures, it means that countries that are now considered as red will be considered as yellow instead, and for Sondre it would mean he has a far better chance to go to the international comps without having to be in quarantine after returning home. And the situation will probably be the same for all European skaters, which is a really good thing because then some of the skaters wont have advantages just because they live in a country with more liberate travel restrictions.

This is really great news for Sondre!

I´m not sure when we will start use it. Probably not in time for Volvo Cup, but if it would be, I guess Latvia is already yellow with the more liberal restrictions. Most important thing is that this would make EC more likely to be arranged and more likely that Sondre could go with the rest of the skaters!

This could mean a lot for the European figure skating season. Also in terms of WC being arranged in Sweden, the problem there is the possible disadvantage for the skaters outside Europe.

Country
Norway
I have to correct myself on the new system, it seems the colours they will use are actually green, orange and red, and also grey for areas which doesn´t have data. Also a negative Covid-test may replace quarantine for orange or red countries - i´m not sure.

Country
Norway
Oh wow, really?! I wasn´t excepting him to sign up for Warsaw Cup because of the situation in Poland, but maybe he just want every option open in case the situation changes and as you say, there will probably be a lot of WD before start. But just to see him on the list made me really happy.

Btw, I have never actually checked if there is an exception for quarantine for professional athletes. I tried to Google it now and it seems that they gave the norwegian Football-team an exception for quarantine for playing a match in Austria recently, but that was just the one match. Looking further I found some news about the Ingebritsen-siblings asking this summer to get an exception for quarantine in order to compete international this summer, but they weren´t given any. In general it seems there is no exception for professional athletes.

You know, there is also the possibility that Sondre might want to go and take 10 days of quarantine when returning. Maybe getting the advantages of competing experience and the chance to collect SB and TES outweighs the disadvantages of not being able to train at the ice rink for 10 days. Maybe he can do off-ice workout from home.

Let´s also see if he will be on the list for Volvo Cup :D But he probably rather do the Challenger.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
Btw, looking at the entries for ladies they also submitted Frida Berge for the ladies event so it looks like they will try to send a Norwegian team to Warsaw.

Country
Norway
Sondre has very sensibly withdrawn from Warsaw Cup. Maybe we'll see him at Volvo Open instead (I really hope)?
Unfortunately both Sondre and Frida has WD, not entirely unexpected. I guess it´s the federation making the decision. Let´s hope he has signed up for Volvo Cup. There is still no changes in travel restrictions, so he will probably have to self-quarantine in 10 days afterwards, but the numbers are a lot better in Latvia.

But the numbers are going the wrong way in Norway, we had a record day of over 400 new cases yesterday, and we have some new restrictions, but they are very mild - in the capital there will be mandatory with face mask in malls, restaurants, as well as public transportation and we are starting with social bubbles where there is only recommended to see 10 other people outside your household, and only 5 inside for visit. And restaurants and bars will have to close at 10 pm every day now in the capital. In the rest of the country there isn´t mandatory with face mask, but they highly recommend the local government to make it mandatory where there is an outbreak now. Social bubbles are recommended all over the country. Hope this will help.

Last edited:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But the numbers are going the wrong way in Norway, we had a record day of over 400 new cases yesterday, and we have some new restrictions, but they are very mild - in the capital there will be mandatory with face mask in malls, restaurants, as well as public transportation and we are starting with social bubbles where there is only recommended to see 10 other people outside your household, and only 5 inside for visit. And restaurants and bars will have to close at 10 pm every day now in the capital. In the rest of the country there isn´t mandatory with face mask, but they highly recommend the local government to make it mandatory where there is an outbreak now. Social bubbles are recommended all over the country. Hope this will help.
At least they aren't letting new cases run away to the point of exponential growth with minimal interventions as has happened in parts of Europe. Those restrictions may not sound like much, but the face masks in particular will help, though you might not see it in the numbers for a couple of weeks. I hope everything goes well for you from here on in.

Country
Norway
At least they aren't letting new cases run away to the point of exponential growth with minimal interventions as has happened in parts of Europe. Those restrictions may not sound like much, but the face masks in particular will help, though you might not see it in the numbers for a couple of weeks. I hope everything goes well for you from here on in.

Let´s hope so :) Yes, the thought was to be pro-active, as we can not blindly ignore whats happening in the rest of Europe - then we will eventually will be in the same situation.

Country
Norway
On a complete not serious note, Sondre and his team members posted a clip on Instagram today, where they are doing a parody of Team Tutberidze - Sondre is Dudakov, and i´m laughing my ass of because it´s so accurate :ROFLMAO:

You find the parody here.

Country
Norway
Unfortunately the Covid-19- situation has got a lot worse in Norway recently and there is about 600-700 new cases every day now... There are both new national and local restrictions.

All national competitions in Norway have been cancelled until Christmas and National Championship in January will be postponed until February or March. There will be a new date later. The Government has both recommended to cancel such event and highly recommended people to stay home and not travel in our country (or outside). Of course, the competitions will be very difficult and it makes perfectly sense and it´s the right decision.

The situation is particular bad in the capital Oslo and in the western city Bergen and there have been set very strict local restrictions there, not far from lockdown. In Oslo and Bergen all indoor training facilities will be closed, but they are giving an exception for children and youths up to 20 years in organized sports, so they can continue training. Sondre, all though he is living in Oslo, is training at the ice rink in Asker, which isn´t a part of Oslo. They havn´t closed down the training facilities in Asker for now, so Sondre should not be affected by this.

Fingers crossed Sondre and the others athletes would be allowed to train at least. It doesn´t look like Sondre will be competing any time soon. Hope for better chances in 2021.