Sota Yamamoto | Page 95 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Sota announced it on an Instagram Live today, his first IG live ever! Several skaters attended or intended to attend (looking at you, Kazuki :sleep:), which shows how much So-chan is loved by his peers ☺️

Thanks, Kirara.
Translation of Sota's Insta-live:
Part 1

Good evening. It's not good evening, is it? It's good morning in Japan. Good morning. Thank you all for coming. This is my first time going live on Instagram. A lot of people have come to watch. It makes me nervous. Thank you very much for joining me in the early morning. Please feel free to give me your comments. It's a little difficult for me to do a free conversation, so I think I'll rely on your comments. If you have any questions or requests, please feel free to send them. I'm quite nervous even though I hold an Unlim online meeting once a month. I see all kinds of people and skaters watching. Okusa, Kinkin (Kinayu Yokoi) Howdy! Can I tap to reply? Howdy, howdy. Thank you all. What? Can't you hear my voice? Can you hear me? Oh, "I can hear you." Great (laughs). If you can't hear me, please let me know. Oh, there are 700 people here already. Surprisingly, I've never done an Insta-live before. Well, I've always wanted to do it, but I always felt like I should take a rest when I go home after practice, so I couldn't get into that kind of mood at home, but I've always wanted to do an insta-live. I'm in the U.S. right now for choreography. The choreography is done around noon or in the evening at the latest. After that I have a lot of free time. So it was really just a spur of the moment idea to finally do an insta-live. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

"Is the choreography going well?" Hmmm...well, it's been a while since I've been choreographed overseas. I was able to take a lot of time, about a week, to make sure that the choreography was done well. In Japan it usually takes three or four days at the most, but we had a whole week to do the choreography. Of course, choreography was the main focus, but I also practiced skating and jumps here. We finished the choreography up to the last part, so now I'm practicing the program with jumps in it. "I'm glad you posted the announcement in advance." Yes, I announced on my Insta-story that the show would start at 9 o'clock, but many people were wondering if it would be in the morning or at night. I had a preconceived notion that if it was at 9, it would be in the morning, and I thought I said it would be at 9:00 in the morning. It was a little confusing. I am sorry.

"Was it completed?" Surprisingly, even though I am a slow learner and always have a hard time learning choreography, it went surprisingly smoothly, even though the program is quite challenging. I was able to learn it more easily than I expected, and even on the first day I was able to get up to the steps and spins. Then, on the second or third day, we finished the last half of the program and spent the remaining half of the time brushing things up. So we spent a lot of time on it, and I'm glad I was able to get it polished in a good way. "Kohai (younger skater friend) is missing So-chan." (laughs) You mean Seigo, right? Miki-chan (Miki Ando, Seigo Tauchi's coach), hello. Thank you for watching. I'll be back soon, so I'm looking forward to seeing you again.

"I love Sota-kun's skating." Hmmm...well, people tell me that, but I don't think I'm good at skating at all. I really want to improve my skating, but it's not easy. It's like I'm growing every day. "What's your impression of the new program?" Hmm, well, hmm. How is it? It's new to me, but I feel like it fits my style of skating better than I thought it would. Last year I used a song called Chameleon for the short program and at first, I had a hard time expressing myself and I wasn't sure what to do and I struggled. But this time it was easy for me to get into it, but if I feel that it is easy to get into it, I think I will be in the status quo or I will be in that kind of mentality, so I think in a way if I feel that it is challenging at first or if I feel that it is a little difficult to do, I will work hard and the program will come out well. I will work hard as a team to make the program better.

-- to be cont'd --

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 2

"I'm looking forward to Makuhari." Ah, Fantasy. I was able to perform at Fantasy for the first time last year, and I am happy to be invited again this year in Makuhari and Aichi for the A Tour, the first half. I am glad that there will be an Aichi show this year. Please come and see us. It has not been officially decided yet which program I will perform in Fantasy. Another ice show is Prince after I return. Prince will be in late April, and then in May, the second half of May, I will be in Fantasy Makuhari, and then the Aichi show will be in late May to early June. and then Dreams on Ice. That's my schedule for now. "I'm going to Aichi (laughs), for business." (laughs) Will I see you there? "Prince" Thank you very much. Please come to see us. "Short or free?" Right now I'm in the U.S. to choreograph the short program. As for the free skate, we are still in the preparation stage, working on various things. Maybe I will start the free program soon? We are still working on the schedules. "I'm going to see Prince." Thank you very much. This season, can I say this season? It will probably be my first ice show this year. Maybe in Prince, let me see, well, it's going to be a surprise. It's coming soon, so please come and see it. Maybe I'll do a gala program in Prince?

"Sauna Tips" (laughs) Sauna Tips. Hmmm, well, I like sauna quite a bit now, but it wasn't my favorite thing to do in the past, and even when I went to a sauna with my friends, I couldn't even stay in the sauna for 1 or 2 minutes because it was too hot for me, and I was also the kind of person who couldn't take a cold water bath. But I often went to the hot springs with Kazuki, and maybe Mitsuki was there too. Then one day, when I was with Kazuki and others, I decided to try my best to get into the sauna with everyone else. and at first I pushed myself to be in the sauna with the others, and I forced myself to stay in for about 5 minutes? Then, even though I was the kind of person who could hardly stand the cold bath, even if it was only for my feet, I took a cold bath. Then I realized that I felt pretty good after taking a cold bath. Since then I have been hooked. So if I were alone, I would have given up at some point, because it's hard for people who don't like it. I didn't like it at first. So at first people who don't like it wouldn't go. I was like that too. But if you have a chance to go with a friend, you might want to try it for 30 seconds or something. And if you go in there with your friend, who knows? you might experience relaxation. If you have a chance to go, by all means (laughs) do it. "Sauna cap." I hardly ever wear it. Does your hair get damaged if you don't wear a sauna hat? I don't care much about it, so I don't wear it at all. I often get them as gifts, but I haven't worn one, have I? Probably just out of curiosity, I tried it once.

"Have you gotten used to life without school?" Well, I took a leave of absence and went back to college and finally graduated this March after six years. It's only April now, so it hasn't really sunk in yet. Let me see. Well, for me, college was hard and I never really thought it was fun, so I'm happy that it's over. I'm just glad that I can just focus on skating (laughs). "Graduation" Thank you very much. Thanks to everyone's support, I was able to graduate. "It's hard to balance skating and school." No, I managed to graduate, but I didn't really manage to do both. "Your hair has grown long." Yes, I want to get a haircut. You know, before I jump, I go backwards right before I do the Axel, and sometimes I jump without being able to see in front of me because my hair gets in the way (laughs). I am going to get a haircut soon. "How is your fashion today?” I'm wearing normal training clothes, a jersey (laughs). It's a jersey provided by Mizuno-san. "Please tell us about the highlights of the short program.” (laughs) I wonder. How do I feel now that I've done it? Hmm, well, maybe the final steps? I mean, there are steps towards the end, and those steps are pretty hard (laughs). It's pretty demanding. I get pretty out of breath just doing the step part, so I'm terrified, terrified of what's going to happen if I put quads in. "What color is your colantotte?" Today it's silver. I like it.

-- to be cont'd --

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 3

"Are the sakura (cherry blossoms) blooming over there?" Yes, there are cherry blossoms here. I thought cherry blossoms were only in Japan (laughs). They are blooming in the U.S. as well, and I took some pictures. They were in full bloom. Did your fans notice you in America? Hmm, it was more like some people ran into me. You know, I was at the rink to be choreographed, and there was also a public skating time, and probably people who like to skate came to practice, and they asked me to take a picture with them, and some skaters I was practicing with asked me to take a picture with them. Nothing like that happened outside the rink at all. Even in Japan, people hardly ever come up and talk to me. "If a big crowd gathers around you, they're 'sakura' (Sakura is also a Japanese word for shills hired for promotion)" (laughs).That's for sure (laughs). Indeed (laughs). "If you can even sell seeds, they are sakuran (confused)." "Please show us a picture of cherry blossoms." If I remember, I'll post it on Instagram or something. I forget things easily, so please let me know.

"The black and white video on Instastory was super cool." Thank you very much. Yes, Benoit Richaud-san is my choreographer this time, and he choreographed the short program for me. And Benoit-san filmed the video on the ice while I was skating, and Benoit-san was pretty good at filming the video too, and it looked pretty cool in black and white (laughs). So I feel like the monochrome effect helped me so much that when the filter is removed, I'll immediately realize that my skating isn't very good. "If I run into you outside the rink, can I take a picture with you?" Yes, absolutely, if I get a chance to meet you. I don't have an agency or anything like that, so no problem. "I think it would have been cool even if it wasn't in black and white.” (laughs) I don't know (laughs). But it looked a lot cooler just with the filter. It totally changed the way it looked. Yeah, he shot it to make it look nice. Yeah. "What do you want to eat when you go back to Japan?" Hmmm, I wonder what I would like to eat. Well, my mood probably changes from time to time, but I guess yakiniku. I eat yakiniku all the time, but in the end, yakiniku is the best. So, yakiniku? Or is it sushi? I would normally think that I would eat sushi back in Japan, but I ate sushi here (laughs) even though I was in the States. (laughs) I had sushi here in the U.S. Probably yakiniku? I had yakiniku the day before I left. It's yakiniku after all.

"How would you describe Richaud-san's choreography?" Hmm, he started with a very rough choreography, instead of trying to make each movement perfect and build it up step by step. In a way, the choreography as a whole was done in a very smooth way, but of course it was well choreographed. He built the choreography as a whole and then refined it. So it was easy to remember. First I learned the choreography and the courses to glide, and then he added the choreography and refined it. I usually take a long time to learn choreography, so it helped me. I never thought I would learn it so fast. It was easy to remember. Richau-san's choreography is quite unique. I had heard rumors that it would be difficult, but it went quite well, even though it is a very unique choreography. It was difficult choreography, yes, but in terms of memorizing it, I felt that it was surprisingly easy to get into my head. "The Kassouya effect" Yes, there is no doubt about it. I think about it in a lot of situations. The rehearsal for Kassouya was very difficult. It was fun, but I had to join the rehearsals after the Fur Continents ended, and I was two days late, so I had to work hard in the rehearsals to be ready for the opening of the show. I thought that if I could get through that difficult period, it would be easier to learn the choreography from then on, and indeed it became easier for me to learn the choreography surprisingly well (laughs). Thanks to the Kassouya camp (laughs). I would like to do Kassouya again.

-- to be cont'd --

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the news pieces, everyone, and especially @rRainbow for the translations! The long video would be way above my skills except for a few parts in the food and sauna part ^ ^

Congrats to Sota on Special funding! Well deserved. 🏆

If one doesn't want to click on IG for the black and white choreo link, it's been uploaded by someone to Youtube as well.
And here's Sota's invitation to Prince Ice World, which starts tomorrow: https://youtu.be/s09f5K1oj_I?si=txvG5g8lddqsqXKR I hope Sota has fun! We'll see what he skates to. He's just returned from the US, but now that he said the choreo was easy to remember, perhaps he'll perform his new SP after all.

Now, I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the new SP. I guess I'll wait until I see the full program. I have to say the music itself that we hear in the snippet, is not my cup of tea - too vanilla, it feels like many skate to unclear tune music like this these days, and those random wild keyboard swipes don't make much sense to me both in regards to the rest of the music and to Sota's serene on-ice (competitive) personality. But hey, he picked it (and I do believe he really should start picking competitive programs from the start again, not just from a choreographer's suggestion list, unless the choreographer is someone who knows Sota well). I wish Sota the best, and the choreo definitely looks packed and ambitious. I hope the rest of the program contains a lot of the stuff people specifically love Sota's skating for (among other things) - long sweeping glides, straight posture, impressive eagles and great extension :pray: But I'll cheer for Sota no matter what he skates to.

About the IG Live:
- I'm glad to read Sota has no issue with fans asking for pictures ☺️
- I can see we can fully credit Kazuki for turning Sota into a sauna fan, hehe.
- hopefully Sota remembering Richaud's choreo so well so early on, is a good sign! :pray:
- I wonder who the FS choreo person is. It must be someone very busy. Hopefully not Wilson again, TBH...
- Glad to read Sota was recognized by the general skating public in the US!
- I hope he doesn't stop expanding his list of hobbies (if time-wise possible), now that he's not a student anymore. It doesn't hurt to be distracted from focusing on skating intensely.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 4

I think I should turn down the temperature of the air conditioner, or rather, the heater. (He gets up and disappears from the screen, and then comes back.) Let's do Insta-live in that kind of relaxed way. I don't intend to do this for a long time, but a lot of questions came up. It (Kassouya) was a hard schedule. But the members had a lot of fun, and how can I put it? There were a lot of skaters of the same generation and those who were close to me, and everyone was very nice to me, including Dai-chan and Kana-chan. It was hard work, but I think we all worked together and put on a good show. I was not a spectator, but a skater, so I could not see it objectively, but I think it was good. I want to do it again. I want them to have another one. Kassouya was great. "Did you find it difficult to skate with a long coat?” Hmmm, well, in ice shows, jumps are... of course, depending on the part, some skaters jumped, but when it comes to jumps, I think for me it's difficult, but many skaters did jumps in a long coat. I thought they were amazing. I wouldn't be able to jump. "Archive" I'm not sure how I'm going to leave the archive because it's my first time doing an Insta-live, but I'll do my best to keep the archive (laughs). Will it work if I finish this live show and choose to leave an archive of it? I don't know. (Drinks water from his glass) If I can. I'm sorry if I delete it (laughs).

"Are you enjoying Instalive?" I like this kind of thing. I've always wanted to do it, but I never had the chance. This time I had a little time to do something other than choreography, so I decided to give it a try. Thank you for this morning. Thank you all. Hey, Kusshi (Kazuki Kushida) came. Howdy! Mitsuki came to see me too. There are a lot of skaters here. Can't you see that? "I can't believe this is your first time." Actually, I'm pretty nervous. I'll do my best not to make a live blooper (laughs). I'll be careful not to make any slip-ups. Yes, insta-live makes you nervous, doesn't it? But of course it's natural to feel that way. I have an interactive online meeting with my fans once a month, where I ask them to submit questions beforehand, and I can sort of go through them. Of course I want to say what I really think at the time of the livestream, so I don't really think about the answers until then, but I read the questions before I go live. But it's quite difficult in the case of Insta-live because I get comments coming in one after the other. "Please do Insta-live again." Maybe I'll do it again if I feel like it.

"Do you have any costume ideas?" Hmmm, I always ask Orihara-san for a costume, and Benoit has a vague idea of what he wants. After telling Orihara-san what Benoit has in mind, the design starts to take shape, and that's how it always works. The choreographer, Orihara-san and I would come up with an idea together. Actually, most of the time I leave it up to Orihara-san because I know she can come up with something good if I leave it up to her. So I like to leave it to her. With the input of Benoit's idea as well, I hope she can make a good-looking costume. "All your costumes are your style and look great.” Thank you very much. It's all thanks to Orihara-san (laughs). I mean, I left it all up to Orihara-san. "Next time, a joint insta-live" Oh, some people collaborate with each other, right? I would love to do it if I could find someone to collaborate with. But you know, I've always wanted to do an insta-live since I started doing Instagram, but I've come this far without doing it (laughs). I usually want to do it, but when I go home, I don't feel like doing it at home (laughs). This time I'm here for the choreography. It felt fresh, so I decided to do it on a whim.

-- to be cont'd --