Speed Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Speed Skating

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Sorry team Japan. I know you guys are doing a really good job (with Dutch input), but those gold medals are apparently reserved for the orange.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
No different than running when the 100 meters is a different skill set than a marathon.

Don't tell that to Eric Heiden (though it does reinforce what an amazing, amazing accomplishment that was).

Given how much $ US Speedskating has swiped--I mean been granted--from US Figure Skating, perhaps the USFSA can take a larger deduction on their taxes under "Charitable Contributions." The US speedskaters were a disaster in Sochi, and they continue to be one in Korea.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Poor Sven Kramer... not looking too good. I guess the 10 km at the Olympics is just cursed for him or something.

edit: well done TJ Flowers. That makes it half a gold and a full silver for teamNL. :laugh:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Thanks again Netherlands for Ted-Jan! Do we owe you another figure skater?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
and much mocking ensued...
https://www.facebook.com/stuffdutchpeoplelike/videos/1753480068037249/
Dear NBC, this kind of thing does not make Dutch people think very highly of your level of intelligence. Just so you know.

Every year my hometown Ottawa has a tulip festival with bulbs donated from the Netherlands. Your royal family stayed here during the war.
BTW..for at least a few weeks a year you can skate to work here if you live near the canal.

Katie Curic should know better. She's not an idiot.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Thanks again Netherlands for Ted-Jan! Do we owe you another figure skater?
Yes plz thank you. I’ll take... uhm... Uhm... actually, I wouldn’t mind a clone of Kevin, too. (Yes I really like him, lol.)

Also, today’s event... oy. Will this madness ever end?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Congrats to Nao for getting the gold after slaying these past 2 years! What are great way for to cap of all her hard work.

So happy for Sang-hwa to get the silver as a final farewell gift! I've read of her later years being really tough with all of those injuries and surgeries. Hope she doesn't take it hard. I see a whole lot of support for her from twitter and tons of people having been shaming news sites for saying that she failed.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ooo new event at this Olympics! The Speed Skating Mass Start.

They've got 16 ladies out on the track right now and it's pretty fun to watch! Reminds me of some of those crazy cycling events...

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Ooo new event at this Olympics! The Speed Skating Mass Start.

They've got 16 ladies out on the track right now and it's pretty fun to watch! Reminds me of some of those crazy cycling events...

Ugh. Did they really need to move short track to a larger rink with more confusing rules?