Tarasova chorographer, really? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Tarasova chorographer, really?

ae9177

On the Ice
I thought Tarasova choreographed Yagudin's winter (which is the best men's SP IMO), didn't know Morozov choreographed the footwork (which is the absolute highlight of the program). Good for him.

I'm pretty impressed with what she did for Evan (more on the skating quality side than the choreograph itself, his PCS is well deserved). Can't wait to see what changes she's made on Mao.

On a side note, I heard Evan scraped both his SP and LP in the previous Olympic season. Is that true?

I thought Tarasova choreographed Yagudin's winter (which is the best men's SP IMO), didn't know Morozov choreographed the footwork (which is the absolute highlight of the program). Good for him.

I'm pretty impressed with what she did for Evan (more on the skating quality side than the choreograph itself, his PCS is well deserved). Can't wait to see what changes she's made on Mao.

On a side note, I heard Evan scraped both his SP and LP in the previous Olympic season. Is that true?
I would think that you are at a young age. While I agree with you on Yagudin's winter, there are so many other young men whom you haven't seen, so I think it best that you may attach a little proviso: "in recent times". While so many skaters I've seen, many have not had SPs but School Figures. However, when I remember Curry, Browning, Donald Jackson, and even uncle Dick. They all had something special for their eras.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

he started out the 2005/2006 Olympic season with the LP set to music from the musical Grease. The judges (and most skating fans) didn't like it. He scrapped the program after his first or second GP event and came back to US Nationals with Carmen (Which was fantastic in St. Louis, I was there!)

as for SP, I don't remember if he had a new one for the 2005/06 season, for nationals and the olympics he used his SP from the season before.

as for picking the "best" program - don't blame youth, I know several older adults who can't tell you a thing about the skaters mentioned because they haven't been a fan for decades. By youth I go back to 1989 (when I first watched skating)... I consider Kurt to be the best skater of all time... obviously it's unfair to compare his technical with that of previous generations, but the skating basics are pretty much the same throughout. Then there's the emotion and joy his skating shows no matter what he's doing. That's pretty impressive, and you can also debate that even without obtaining the covetted prize of an Olympic medal when he was favored not once but twice! and you have someone who can and will stand the test of time.

But that's as far back as my memory can go back... however, through video collections and youtube anyone can go back and watch the highlights of the past. So youth plays a very small factor in choosing one's best. It still comes down to personal preference, just like with all parts of skating.

Last edited:

Kinga

Medalist
Mao Asada winning her second consecutive World title by skating a beautiful and powerful routine. I'm sure, people will love that.

I will repeat the question - what people? ;) Mao is a great skater, but she has no magic for me. I would really like someone else to win WC this season. An underdog! :)

Simone

Match Penalty
Is there much choreography she can do with that big, great, bulky coat on or is there a tiny, slim woman under all of them? It is hard to say...

Bennett

Record Breaker
One thing people seem to be missing is that Evan's PCS were the highest of the event. They reflect the quality of the program for the most part. He lost b/c of his technical errors. If you compare his results from last season, his PCS from this event were higher than for any of his international events last year. That's impressive considering that this is his first time out and that everyone's scores tend to improve over the course of the season as they become more settled with their programs.

By comparison, Johnny's PCS for this event were slightly lower than all of his internationals except Worlds from last season. (I am not Johnny bashing, just comparing scores.)

I think this shows that Tarasova helped Evan achieve his goal from the standpoint of choreography: improved PCS. If he continues to refine the routine and cuts out the errors, he should gain a point or two in PCS over the course of the season.

She has always been excellent at working whatever system is in place at the time to the maximum benefit of her charges.

But his PCS was rather low at SC, which surprised me.

Germanice

On the Ice
Tarsova made the choreography for many great programs, some of them have been already mentioned here and are legendary.

Otoh - she's no magician. There's nothing to add when there is nothing ...

mjames

Rinkside
Tarasova presented a complete package with Mao, the jumps are not lost. She is a great talent. No magic, it will unfold. Her make up, costume, footwork, expression, there was a big improvement.

Germanice

On the Ice
Let me just say I certainly didn't mean Mao Asada when I made my "there is nothing" comment ... :biggrin: