Best spins for the 2023-24 season | Golden Skate

Best spins for the 2023-24 season

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone who knows me knows that I am here for the spins. Well… I didn’t see a thread to celebrate the best spins of the season so I’m starting one.

Let’s discuss the best Spins of 2023-24 :cheer:

In Lindsay Thorngren’s SP she has some of the most elegant beautiful spins of any skater this season.

What an absolutely elegant use of arms in those first two positions to create amazing poise annd grace and an equally stunning use of power and control to highlight the end. It fits the piano so well and adds so much to the Choreo… I love it.

Let’s discuss and ooh and ahh over some of the best spins this season.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a great idea for a thread. :)

I cannot isolate one spin, but Anthony Paradis from Canada, junior internationally and senior domestically has beautiful spin positions and great flexibility. Just pick any time in the program. :biggrin:

skatingguy

On the Ice
Anyone who knows me knows that I am here for the spins. Well… I didn’t see a thread to celebrate the best spins of the season so I’m starting one.

In Lindsay Thorngren’s SP she has some of the most elegant beautiful spins of any skater this season.

What an absolutely elegant use of arms in those first two positions to create amazing poise annd grace and an equally stunning use of power and control to highlight the end. It fits the piano so well and adds so much to the Choreo… I love it.

Seeing this thread title, and my first thought was Thorngren's flying camel. An absolutely beautiful spin that manages to maintain the speed, lovely positions, and meet the requirements of the level 4.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Andrew Torgashev

I will simply leave this here, even though it's from 2019. This was an exhibition event (Peggy Fleming Trophy), so no need to worry about IJS points or number of revolutions. These COMPLETELY match the music.

Also, Roman Sadovsky has lovely positions.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
it's been a while... it may never be done again :)
please discuss this one... I am not sure still what to make of it... cool ? or not cool ?

I think i am voting for cool ... but then, I don't know

Aww…I forgot about Alaine! I always liked her.

That is such a crazy position too. If I were to name it I’d call it a Pizza Cutter or the Car Wash :geek:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Aww…I forgot about Alaine! I always liked her.

That is such a crazy position too. If I were to name it I’d call it a Pizza Cutter or the Car Wash :geek:
better than some other names people gave to it. The Dog and the Fire Hydrant was the most famous iteration.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
If we're allowed to (briefly) bring up retired skaters, I think Patrick Chan deserves a "never choosing contortionist positions" award. He chose positions that were well within his abilities and they still looked beautiful and not painful. I particularly liked his death drop, and his camel spin, including the layover part. And it never looked like his spins slowed down as he changed positions. I particularly love this camel-change-camel and how the part with his arms behind him coordinates with the music change. I love every second of this program, all spins included. :love:

Keegan Messing's camel spin is one of the best I've ever seen.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sorry for a second post on Patrick Chan, but in his Blackbird SP at 2017 Worlds, the replay people thought his camel was so beautiful that they put it in the replay. The video is a bit wonky to avoid copyright, but his camel still shines, in real time and in slo-mo. It's a better angle than 2016 4CC.

EDIT: Here's a nice angle and the video is easier to watch, IMO. Different program, different year, same gorgeous camel spin. Plus, in this performance he gives a big smile immediately after the camel. Goodness, I'm feeling very nostalgic now.

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

sorry not on instagram - can't see this