The Comeback Happy Ending | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Comeback Happy Ending

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He didn't actually quit competitive skating in between, but he thought about it. Johnny Weir had finished 5th in Torino Olympics. He finished 6th in Vancouver, but he was happier with his skating and with his entire Olympic experience.

I'm not a big Johnny W. fan, but I've always admired that he was so happy with his skates.

To make a comeback or to stay longer in the sport seeking that happier, more complete ending...well, it's not easy. And of course, "closure" has always looked different to different skaters; one skater may want to make that final Olympic team while another may want simply to have a final skate they can be proud of.

Tanager

On the Ice
He didn't actually quit competitive skating in between, but he thought about it. Johnny Weir had finished 5th in Torino Olympics. He finished 6th in Vancouver, but he was happier with his skating and with his entire Olympic experience.

I'm not a big Johnny W. fan, but I've always admired that he was so happy with his skates.

In one way, I think that's my favourite of the comeback/sticking it out stories - when a skater ultimately doesn't get that added glory of a medal, but does get the closure of that final skate they can be proud of and happy with.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd Eldredge's 1994-1995 season, after being off the US podium for 3 consecutive seasons (almost quitting the spot after finishing 6th @ 1993 Nationals, finishing 4th @ 1994 Nationals after competing with the flu & very high fever, & thereby missing the Olympic team that year). While the Olympic medal eluded him in 1998 & 2002, he finished his competitive Olympic eligible career on a high note, with a very strong free skate @ the 2002 SLC Olympics.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Todd Eldredge's 1994-1995 season, after being off the US podium for 3 consecutive seasons (almost quitting the spot after finishing 6th @ 1993 Nationals, finishing 4th @ 1994 Nationals after competing with the flu & very high fever, & thereby missing the Olympic team that year). While the Olympic medal eluded him in 1998 & 2002, he finished his competitive Olympic eligible career on a high note, with a very strong free skate @ the 2002 SLC Olympics.

:eek:topic:

I just saw a video of Todd where he was one of the guest skaters at a OneTeamMVMT synchronized skating camp! :cheer:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlbUUqAjIry/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=yxtz3il0gcju

I knew there was a reason I liked that guy. ;)

edenlover

On the Ice

I just saw a video of Todd where he was one of the guest skaters at a OneTeamMVMT synchronized skating camp! :cheer:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlbUUqAjIry/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=yxtz3il0gcju

I believe he won the World Championship in 1996 with his First Knight Program and defeated a very strong competitor in Alexi Yagudin. I believe that was the year he was beaten at the US championships by Rudy Galindo. I think he also won a bronze medal at the WC in 2001 or so with his 1492 program, which in my opinion was highly underrated,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=VIbv-JZYTlw First Knight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEZyj0DM_5o 1492

Tanager

On the Ice

As much as I enjoy a good Todd video (Todd v. Elvis is one of my fave retro rivalries), I think you accidently posted the wrong instagram clip, SarahSychro. That one stirs a lot of emotion of a different type. :sad21:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As much as I enjoy a good Todd video (Todd v. Elvis is one of my fave retro rivalries), I think you accidentally posted the wrong instagram clip, SarahSychro. That one stirs a lot of emotion of a different type. :sad21:

SarahSynchro, could you post that video of Todd?

Tanager, I loved the Elvis/Todd rivalry. I was always rooting for both of them to make it to the podiums! His 1492 program was uinderrated/underscored @ 2001 Worlds. IMHO, he deserved no less that the silver medal there (don't even get me stated on that one - shame on those 3 judges who placed him third!).

Rina Rin

Rinkside
Slutskaya decided not to compete at the 2003 World Championships after receiving news that her mother had fallen seriously ill, requiring a kidney transplant. The initial transplant was rejected and another one had to be performed. Soon after her mother's condition began improving, however, Slutskaya experienced severe fatigue and swelling in the legs, which several hospitals struggled to correctly diagnose. She missed most of the 2003–04 season. Although doctors told her that she should stay away from the cold, she elected to compete at the 2004 World Championships and finished ninth. She was diagnosed ultimately with vasculitis.

In 2005, Slutskaya made a comeback after a long stay at a hospital. The season would be her most dominant ever — for the only time in her career she went undefeated, winning every competition she entered. She thrived under the new scoring system which heavily rewarded her jumps, spins (particularly Biellman spins), difficult footwork, and speed and power. In winning the 2005 European Championships, she matched the record for the most European titles in ladies' singles. At the 2005 World Championships, Slutskaya was first after the short program and skated last in the free skating, in which she performed seven triples (although one was disallowed due to 3 triple loops being performed), including a 3Lz-3Lo combination, to win her second World title. She said the free skating was "the skate of her life" because "she was in front of her friends and family, and she was skating at home." She also said:

“ This is the question they ask: how could you get up after your fall last year? That's not right at all. You can't talk that way. When a person is ill, it's not a fall, it's a misfortune. And no one, unfortunately, is safe from that. I only want to say to those who don't believe in their [own capacity for] recovery: believe, fight... I got up — you can too.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Slutskaya decided not to compete at the 2003 World Championships after receiving news that her mother had fallen seriously ill, requiring a kidney transplant. The initial transplant was rejected and another one had to be performed. Soon after her mother's condition began improving, however, Slutskaya experienced severe fatigue and swelling in the legs, which several hospitals struggled to correctly diagnose. She missed most of the 2003–04 season. Although doctors told her that she should stay away from the cold, she elected to compete at the 2004 World Championships and finished ninth. She was diagnosed ultimately with vasculitis.

In 2005, Slutskaya made a comeback after a long stay at a hospital. The season would be her most dominant ever — for the only time in her career she went undefeated, winning every competition she entered. She thrived under the new scoring system which heavily rewarded her jumps, spins (particularly Biellman spins), difficult footwork, and speed and power. In winning the 2005 European Championships, she matched the record for the most European titles in ladies' singles. At the 2005 World Championships, Slutskaya was first after the short program and skated last in the free skating, in which she performed seven triples (although one was disallowed due to 3 triple loops being performed), including a 3Lz-3Lo combination, to win her second World title. She said the free skating was "the skate of her life" because "she was in front of her friends and family, and she was skating at home." She also said:

“ This is the question they ask: how could you get up after your fall last year? That's not right at all. You can't talk that way. When a person is ill, it's not a fall, it's a misfortune. And no one, unfortunately, is safe from that. I only want to say to those who don't believe in their [own capacity for] recovery: believe, fight... I got up — you can too.

it's one of my favourite skates because it never fails to move me. It's beautiful and well executed in itself, but that backstory makes it even more wonderful. And her coach at the end is very emotional and crying because of it all.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IIRC, Torvill & Dean were among skaters who "came back" in '94 after being pros -- and they ended up with Oly bronze. To get an Oly medal of any color, after being out of competition for so long, is impressive.

Tanager

On the Ice

At the 2005 World Championships, Slutskaya was first after the short program and skated last in the free skating, in which she performed seven triples (although one was disallowed due to 3 triple loops being performed), including a 3Lz-3Lo combination, to win her second World title. She said the free skating was "the skate of her life" because "she was in front of her friends and family, and she was skating at home."

I was studying in St. Petersburg in 2005 and convinced friends to travel to Moscow for Worlds. I was in the arena when Irina won. I think that is my most favourite experience of being at a competition ever. When she hit the 3-3 and then just kept hitting every single jump that followed. It was the best Irina ever skated and she did it in front of her hometown crowd at the World Championships. An incredible comeback after illness (her mom's and her own).
And for me to be part of the crowd that went absolutely nuts at the end of her skate, it was just sheer magic. Worlds 2005 will always be my go-to memory of Irina. :hap93:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I was studying in St. Petersburg in 2005 and convinced friends to travel to Moscow for Worlds. I was in the arena when Irina won. I think that is my most favourite experience of being at a competition ever. When she hit the 3-3 and then just kept hitting every single jump that followed. It was the best Irina ever skated and she did it in front of her hometown crowd at the World Championships. An incredible comeback after illness (her mom's and her own).
And for me to be part of the crowd that went absolutely nuts at the end of her skate, it was just sheer magic. Worlds 2005 will always be my go-to memory of Irina. :hap93:

Lucky you for being able to witness a truly memorable performance.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yuna returning to skating to win the 2013 worlds and, in my opinion, the 2014 OGM

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Also Gordeeva and Grinkov coming back in 94 after Ekaterina gave birth

rugbyfan

On the Ice
IIRC, Torvill & Dean were among skaters who "came back" in '94 after being pros -- and they ended up with Oly bronze. To get an Oly medal of any color, after being out of competition for so long, is impressive.

This one is an odd one because in retrospect what they achieved was amazing, but at the time a) they were disappointed b) the gold medal was seen as controversial and many thought they should have got it c) they were Torvill and Dean