(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think after 4 Continents there was a Tweet by Jeremy Ten in which he said he just missed out on the TES minimum for Worlds and that he was considering it might be a sign for him to retire. Don't think he's decided anything for sure yet, though.

Yeah, I look at JT's Twitter quite often and I saw another tweet which implied he might keep going, but nothing definite either way.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Yeah, I look at JT's Twitter quite often and I saw another tweet which implied he might keep going, but nothing definite either way.

Will probably be difficult for him to get back to where he was a few years ago. I don't think he's been at Worlds since 2009, and he has missed the Canadian podium the last couple seasons. Even if Chan retires, he has to beat Reynolds, Nam & Baljdé (and possibly a couple others). And since he finished 6th, I think that means he misses the National Team and the athlete funding. Unless a skater comes from a wealthy family, that is tough. And from what I know, Jeremy Ten doesn't have that luxury. I think he works part-time at a clothing store and still lives with his parents. So these situations are tough. :think:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Will probably be difficult for him to get back to where he was a few years ago. I don't think he's been at Worlds since 2009, and he has missed the Canadian podium the last couple seasons. Even if Chan retires, he has to beat Reynolds, Nam & Baljdé (and possibly a couple others). And since he finished 6th, I think that means he misses the National Team and the athlete funding. Unless a skater comes from a wealthy family, that is tough. And from what I know, Jeremy Ten doesn't have that luxury. I think he works part-time at a clothing store and still lives with his parents. So these situations are tough. :think:

Yeah, I gather from his Twitter that he's back working at that store, going to uni, and living with his parents. I was counting on Chan maybe retiring and him getting the funding, but I guess Chan hasn't made it official so he will be named to the team unless he decides on official retirement in the next few weeks (which he probably won't, since he said he wanted to compete at more World Championships). Ten's problems have been mainly injury and the fact that he's an inconsistent jumper. His programs are beautiful, if he could only land all the jumps within them more often!

Sara

On the Ice
Florent Amodio is out, according to the French federation. "After my disappointment at the Olys I have to gain confidence . . . This is a season to forget."

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Florent Amodio is out, according to the French federation. "After my disappointment at the Olys I have to gain confidence . . . This is a season to forget."

Eeep, hopefully he stays in. It's too bad France doesn't have a second guy they're willing to send. What about Ponsart? Now they will be down to one spot for next year, since I doubt Besseghier will be able to finish in the top 10.. although 10th place isn't completely unimaginable in this somewhat depleted field.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With Amodio out, that means Max Aaron will be in the last two groups to skate in the SP.

Olympic

On the Ice
I'm inclined to agree, but what other ways could there be for determining spots? I'd be interested to hearing suggestions :)

Roughly speaking, a system in which international Fall competitions matter, and are combined into Nationals scores somehow to finalize the team. Also, stricter monitoring of injuries in the lead up to Worlds / Olympics to ensure we don't have a Flatt '11 situation / Czisny '12 situation.

Ironically, Jeremy's Fall season was pretty good and he killed it at Nationals, so any variety of criteria would've still allowed any sane, rational skating body to place him on the Olympic team. It's just the way the ball bounces in this case.

I don't want this to sound mean, but I'm glad he's going to retire. The build-up of hope post-Nationals (This is finally the year!) and its now predictable crash at the big competitions makes me really eager to move on and (hopefully) watch another US man w/ a clearer shot to take a stab at it.

Is Ponsart still injured? I thought he had the minimums but maybe I confused Euros and Worlds ones.

Good for Zhang/Bartholomay, though their base value is low and they have to rely heavily on two clean programs to climb up the ranking.

Their basics aren't great either. But they are a fairly new and inexperienced team still and have been doing pretty well this season so this will be yet another experience to build on going forward.

Roughly speaking, a system in which international Fall competitions matter, and are combined into Nationals scores somehow to finalize the team. Also, stricter monitoring of injuries in the lead up to Worlds / Olympics to ensure we don't have a Flatt '11 situation / Czisny '12 situation.

Yes, devise some kind of system which looks at a number of the competition over the whole season and not just Nationals. Like - for example - an average score taken out of two national competitions, two international competitions and nationals or something along those lines. Looking at the average score is IMO better than looking at the highest score because it rewards consistency. You can also use different factors for different types of events.

This would require the USFS to change its international competition policy though because at the moment, relatively few skaters - given the huge talent pool - are able to compete internationally and very few are able to compete at more than one event.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ironically, Jeremy's Fall season was pretty good and he killed it at Nationals, so any variety of criteria would've still allowed any sane, rational skating body to place him on the Olympic team. It's just the way the ball bounces in this case.

I don't want this to sound mean, but I'm glad he's going to retire. The build-up of hope post-Nationals (This is finally the year!) and its now predictable crash at the big competitions makes me really eager to move on and (hopefully) watch another US man w/ a clearer shot to take a stab at it.

Jeremy's fall was okay. He actually placed behind Joshua Farris at Skate Canada. He and Max both have a bronze from the GP. But Jeremy did beat Max at NHK. So yeah, I agree that Jeremy was rightfully named to the Olympic team.

I might had been good to hold off on calling the World time until after the Olympics.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Eeep, hopefully he stays in. It's too bad France doesn't have a second guy they're willing to send. What about Ponsart? Now they will be down to one spot for next year, since I doubt Besseghier will be able to finish in the top 10.. although 10th place isn't completely unimaginable in this somewhat depleted field.

At this point in his career, it kind of makes sense that Amodio might want to take a re-think. He's not a teenager - he's into his 20's now and he still has yet to get close to the World podium. Joubert had become a World Champion by Amodio's age so it's been a much harder climb for him.

This doesn't give France much notice, though. With Joubert retired and Amodio taking a pass, their men's team will be the weakest in recent memory.

gmyers

Record Breaker
5 is close. Amodio just got burnt out. It happens and he skater needs a recharge. Literally crying his way back to France a few weeks before the start of the olympic season.

This doesn't give France much notice, though. With Joubert retired and Amodio taking a pass, their men's team will be the weakest in recent memory.

It already started, 2014 were the first euros without a french guy on it since 2000 euros. And before this you had Millot, Tobel, Cerez and Candeloro.

Amodio hasn't had any results since 2013 euros except beating Joubert for the only time of his career at french nationals, thanks to the FFSG. Besides euros and 2010 Vancouver, he never beat Joubert at major events. Rightfully so.

Amodio always said he didn't want to go on after Sotchi, maybe now things have changed, it's up to him anyway. It would be better for the team if he stays but it would also mean he will take the only spot for worlds next year which is a bit sad for the second guy.

French skating is almost dead anyway except for the ladies competition and Papadakis Cizeron.
James Ciprès still do not look like a pair on the ice after three years and are only here because of FFSG and their jumps. And they still have to produce a watchable LP.

Olympic

On the Ice
Jeremy's fall was okay. He actually placed behind Joshua Farris at Skate Canada. He and Max both have a bronze from the GP. But Jeremy did beat Max at NHK. So yeah, I agree that Jeremy was rightfully named to the Olympic team.

I might had been good to hold off on calling the World time until after the Olympics.

That is actually might have been a good idea. Considering Jeremy's performances at Olympics / Worlds, the USFSA may have conditioned (if they had been allowed a lot of latitude) Jeremy's participation at Worlds (because the no. of spots for US men '15 ride on his performances) on his standing at Sochi. It would've been great to see Max and Jason at '14 Worlds

jaylee

Medalist
That is actually might have been a good idea. Considering Jeremy's performances at Olympics / Worlds, the USFSA may have conditioned (if they had been allowed a lot of latitude) Jeremy's participation at Worlds (because the no. of spots for US men '15 ride on his performances) on his standing at Sochi. It would've been great to see Max and Jason at '14 Worlds

The US Nationals champion is guaranteed the Worlds spot, but no one else is.

I would've sent Jeremy and Jason to Worlds.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Finally! The Entries/Results Page is now up, and we have our final entry lists.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/index.htm

And there are a lot of surprises. Not least the absence of Yun-A. I thought she would have come here to prove a point and try to beat Mao in her own back yard! Not that she would, of course! ;) :biggrin: (Big Mao fan speaking here!)

Similarly, after his disasterous Olympics, I thought Patrick Chan would have wanted to prove a point.

I am also surprised that Takahashi isn't taking the opportunity to bow out on home turf. But, even though he isn't there, Japan have still put out a VERY strong team.

Although I knew that the Olympics was their last competition, I am still very disappointed that Pang / Tong are not doing Worlds. Especially now that I see that Volosozhar / Trankov aren't there. The Chinese would have had a good shot at the gold.

No major surprises in Dance. It would have been nice to have a re-match between Davis / White and Virtue / Moir to see if the positions from the Olympics could be swapped (I always tend to prefer V/M, so of course I want to give them another opportunity to win a Gold! ;) ) But, it should still be an interesting battle to see who gets onto the podium.

Before I finish my analysis, can I just say that I am delighted to see my favourite "Swiss"-Russian competing in her first Senior Ladies World Championships!

GOOD LUCK ANNA!!! :biggrin:

And, can I also add: You all know that I don't like Yun-A. But, I am delighted that her absence means that KIM Hae-Jin and PARK So-Youn are both in the World Championships. They have both impressed me so much this season, and it would have been heartbreaking to see one of them have to stay at home.

So, now that the entry lists are up, we can now start the final round of this year's Predictions Game in earnest! Here is the thread in which to make your predictions:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?43722

Good luck!

CaroLiza_fan

And there are a lot of surprises. Not least the absence of Yun-A. I thought she would have come here to prove a point and try to beat Mao in her own back yard! Not that she would, of course! ;) :biggrin: (Big Mao fan speaking here!)

She has never planned to do Worlds and Sochi was supposed to be her last competition, IIRC.

I am also surprised that Takahashi isn't taking the opportunity to bow out on home turf. But, even though he isn't there, Japan have still put out a VERY strong team.

He's been struggling with injuries.

And, can I also add: You all know that I don't like Yun-A. But, I am delighted that her absence means that KIM Hae-Jin and PARK So-Youn are both in the World Championships. They have both impressed me so much this season, and it would have been heartbreaking to see one of them have to stay at home.

South Korea has 3 spots for Worlds this year.