Thoughts on new teams | Golden Skate

Thoughts on new teams

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Hello everyone!! I am opening another new thread, this time to speculate about the new teams formed during the off-season. Almost each of them is giving me thrills! Most of them are showing a better match than their previous partnerships and making improvements by working ambitiously. The reason can be either worrying of being new with their partners or the will for revenge:biggrin:

I know I/Z and S/K partnerships are discussed a lot, but I wonder your opinions about the other new teams. So I will shortly say mine and expect yours:)

Ilinykh/Zhiganshin - This is the golden one! I was always aware of Elena and her talent but Ruslan is my new discovery here. Each time I watch them, I began to love him more and more. Looks like I/Z are going to achieve much more than they have done with their previous partners.

Sinitsina/Katsalapov - They are not bad for the first season. The problem is they took the expectations to a really high level but couldn't meet them. Although this season is much like failure of hopes for S/K, I think they have the potential to be much better even if they don't catch up I/Z.

And I'm really excited to see the competition between I/Z and S/K during the coming years.

Zahorski/Guerreiro - Such a cute duo! Looks like Guerreiro was quite famous with his previous partner, too. Shame on me, I don't ever remember watching him before. If this couple can fix the nationality problem, they have the talent to compete with top Russian teams. Everybody is complaining about the difficulty there, but I believe high level will bring more success.

Astakhova/Rogonov - Technically they might be the best among new pairs teams along with I/M. I remember watching Astakhova in juniors and I really had disliked her posture and skating. It's good that she seems to be improving in her new partnership. Also looks like an improvement for Rogonov, at least in terms of jumps.

Bazarova/Deputat - Their skating is just so beautiful! Physically they both suit each other, much better than previous partners. (Davankova was growing too tall and Larionov looked so heavy next to Vera.) Great start for Vera and Andrei. They only need to land the jumps and get the levels after this point.

Zabijako/Larionov - Not really in love with their skating but the physical match is much better here too. Yuri doesn't look that heavy as before!

Davankova/Enbert - Looks like they lack the technical strength and ease in their skating, but they made a beautiful couple. Neither G/E nor D/D partnership wasn't going any further. It's good that they teamed up, because if they have chance to survive among Russian pairs field, they look like the only options to each other.

Marchei/Hotarek - I love them both in their previous careers. At first I couldn't imagine Vale skating pairs but I got used to this after watching their performances. They only did senior B events but have made a quite strong start there. B/H was also a really successful team but it was Berton's jumping abilities prevented them going further. I'm happy that M/H have stronger SBS jumps and throw jumps.

Iliushechkina/Moscovitch - This is maybe the biggest surprise! I mean I haven't expected this much from a skater who hasn't competed for 2-3 years. I/M have really nice elements and transitions in their programs. They can be no.2 Canadian pair this season depending on the day of competition. I really liked them, good luck :)

LisaM

Medalist
Zahorski/Guerreiro are definitely a very special pair to me! They really show such pleasure in skating together, it's just delightful to watch. I can't wait for them to get the green light. Their programs are very good and especially their FD has a lightness to it, I love it.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I love Zahorski/Guerreiro. They will be facing an uphill battle, but I believe they can rise to the challenge if her citizenship gets worked out - and hey, if France won't release her, they could also consider France, as there is no other team other than P/C competing nationally and they'll qualify more spots anyways. I love Zahorski, she kind of reminds me of Anissina.

I'm also very excited for Castelli/Tran!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwZz0JO9gN8
I hope we can get his citizenship worked out too, they have tons of potential!

Even though they teamed up a couple of years ago, no one's been talking about Hirai/De La Asuncion. I find them very enjoyable - they have this infectious energy together that I really like to watch. But he is a French citizen, and they compete for Japan, so they probably won't ever get a trip to the Olympics. :cry:
I do like their free dance from NHK this year, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-T4i9im8U

Weathergal

Medalist
My thoughts on some of the new pairs partnerships:
Moore-Towers/Marinaro - Was such a big fan of M-T/Moscovitch and was so sad to hear they broke up their partnership. I think M-T brings a lot of personality and talent to the ice, but too early to tell if this partnership is a good one. Wasn't a big fan of Marinaro with his previous partner, Margaret Purdy, but we'll see. Don't care for their music, especially FS, so that isn't helping chemistry/performance wise for me.

Savchenko/Massot - Holy moly! That triple twist almost sends her into orbit! Seem to have a connection with each other and a real excitement from the one exhibition video I saw. Hope they can work out their citizenship/finances/coaching issues.

Leng/Shnapir - Simon seems happier with his new partner, and they seem a better match physically. Still sad that he and Castelli couldn't make things work. Would be nice to see an American pairs team actually stick around... They are obviously still a work in progress but didn't see anything too exciting so far.

Castelli/Tran - Tran's previous Canadian partner, Natasha Purich, didn't seem like a good match for him. He and Narumi Takahashi were so good together! Would love to see this partnership with Castelli work out as I think both have a lot to offer. Castelli has the determination and fieriness, and Tran has the polish and good partnering skills.

Bazarova/Deputat - Maybe it's just me being hopeful for her because I always felt so bad for her because she seemed so unhappy, but Vera looks much happier now. And I'm thinking the SBS jumps might be a little better...

Marchei/Hotarek - Valentina's move to pairs surprised me as did Hotarek's breakup with Berton. I've only seen an exhibition skate of theirs so far, but they seem to have potential.

mnm464

On the Ice
I adore SK! My op is biased though bc I train with them. Being serious now, it couldn't hurt to slow down and adjust a little more to e/o and work on skills. The more comfortable they are with e/o, the better.