Tips for better backwards crossovers? | Golden Skate

Tips for better backwards crossovers?

Vladik

On the Ice
My backwards crossovers are fine overall. I’ve passed them a while ago and have no problem with any technique or speed.

There is one sort of problem I’ve noticed and just wanted some tips on it. It’s hard to explain. When I do my backwards crossovers, the outer foot that is moving across the ice to cross over the inner foot - I feel like I’m leading a lot with my heel. So I’ve got more of a swoopy lemon movement and less of a defined solid push. Means that I do sometimes catch my blades together as my crossing leg is always almost skimming my other foots blade.

I noticed that professional skaters tend to have more of a (how do I explain it)?? The crossing foot doesn’t like swoop around so much and the foot is kept more straight. As if they sort of lead with their whole blade/foot in a straight movement, whereas I lead with my heel and it’s very lemony. This is a very poor explanation. It’s tough to put into words lol.
I’ll link some videos which should explain better.

These are the sort of crossovers I’m obviously aiming for (the sort of stuff you see professionals doing):
Tiktok Link here

Whereas mine are a bit like this but better:
Tiktok Link here
(NOT ME BTW)
I’m not referring to her crossovers in general btw, I do have more bend and am faster, but I’m referring to the swoopy motion she does.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My backwards crossovers are fine overall. I’ve passed them a while ago and have no problem with any technique or speed.

There is one sort of problem I’ve noticed and just wanted some tips on it. It’s hard to explain. When I do my backwards crossovers, the outer foot that is moving across the ice to cross over the inner foot - I feel like I’m leading a lot with my heel. So I’ve got more of a swoopy lemon movement and less of a defined solid push. Means that I do sometimes catch my blades together as my crossing leg is always almost skimming my other foots blade.

I noticed that professional skaters tend to have more of a (how do I explain it)?? The crossing foot doesn’t like swoop around so much and the foot is kept more straight. As if they sort of lead with their whole blade/foot in a straight movement, whereas I lead with my heel and it’s very lemony. This is a very poor explanation. It’s tough to put into words lol.
I’ll link some videos which should explain better.

These are the sort of crossovers I’m obviously aiming for (the sort of stuff you see professionals doing):
Tiktok Link here

Whereas mine are a bit like this but better:
Tiktok Link here
I’m not referring to her crossovers in general btw, I do have more bend and am faster, but I’m referring to the swoopy motion she does.

Thank you so much!
It comes with years of practice and technique, and a strong core.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
If you look at the start of the first video, the skater is using the inside leg/foot to grab the ice, pull it towards her and then push it away in order to create power, rather than the "lemon" push in the second video. That's the big difference. There are two pushes and a pull in backward crossovers. And, as Ic3Rabbit says above, it comes with years of practice, technique and a strong core. Keep going!

Vladik

On the Ice
If you look at the start of the first video, the skater is using the inside leg/foot to grab the ice, pull it towards her and then push it away in order to create power, rather than the "lemon" push in the second video. That's the big difference. There are two pushes and a pull in backward crossovers. And, as Ic3Rabbit says above, it comes with years of practice, technique and a strong core. Keep going!
Thank you! Is the second push more vital than the first?

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
Hi Vladik,

Crossovers are so fun to practice! I watched both videos and would suggest that you focus less on the outside foot and more on the inside one. You want to have a strong outside edge on your inside foot (your left in the video) the entire time. This makes a world of difference in how you can move the other foot as well. I couldn't see your blade very closely in your video, but it looks like you can have a lot more edge. Though I'm honestly not sure your skate will give you enough support for that... It looks very soft.

Something else that's fun to work on is how the outside leg (your right) actually extends after the push. I love practicing that because it actually feels pretty. Hehe. You'll want to have your edge (inside leg) solid first, though or that won't really work.

You'll get it and it can take years to beautify it to the level of your reference vid from coach Michelle. Have fun!

Vicki7

On the Ice
It's definitely a "years of practice and you never stop working on them" thing. Just last night my coach spent close to an hour adult group lesson working on our forwards crossovers. Occasionally we'll spend time on these fundamentals (I refuse to call them basics, because they take a lot of skill to execute well!) as it's not something most of us practice deliberately very often.

The way my coach explained the pushes in a backwards crossover to me, is that the first push gets things started, then there's a shift in weight distribution and the second push gives you a speed boost, which allows you to cross the foot in front again, and carry on.

I'm about to explain this REALLY badly, but I think in the stronger crossovers I see, it looks almost like the outside foot is grabbing the ice and pulling in, rather than mine where the inside foot crosses in front first, before that second push.

Vladik

On the Ice
Hi Vladik,

Crossovers are so fun to practice! I watched both videos and would suggest that you focus less on the outside foot and more on the inside one. You want to have a strong outside edge on your inside foot (your left in the video) the entire time. This makes a world of difference in how you can move the other foot as well. I couldn't see your blade very closely in your video, but it looks like you can have a lot more edge. Though I'm honestly not sure your skate will give you enough support for that... It looks very soft.

Something else that's fun to work on is how the outside leg (your right) actually extends after the push. I love practicing that because it actually feels pretty. Hehe. You'll want to have your edge (inside leg) solid first, though or that won't really work.

You'll get it and it can take years to beautify it to the level of your reference vid from coach Michelle. Have fun!
Thank you so much! Sorry for the confusion, but to clarify the girl in the video wasn’t me!! Was just an example video of how the push in my crossovers looks like.

I skate in Risport Electra Light right now! Looking to get new skates in May though with more support hopefully.

Really appreciate your help! I have a friend at my rink who's been skating a year and his crossovers already look perfect, then again he progresses fast and already jumps doubles hahah.

I’m going to practise tomorrow and take into account your advice! Also going to ask my coach about it tomorrow as well! Thank you sososo much! :biggrin:

Vladik

On the Ice
It's definitely a "years of practice and you never stop working on them" thing. Just last night my coach spent close to an hour adult group lesson working on our forwards crossovers. Occasionally we'll spend time on these fundamentals (I refuse to call them basics, because they take a lot of skill to execute well!) as it's not something most of us practice deliberately very often.

The way my coach explained the pushes in a backwards crossover to me, is that the first push gets things started, then there's a shift in weight distribution and the second push gives you a speed boost, which allows you to cross the foot in front again, and carry on.

I'm about to explain this REALLY badly, but I think in the stronger crossovers I see, it looks almost like the outside foot is grabbing the ice and pulling in, rather than mine where the inside foot crosses in front first, before that second push.
Thank you so much! It really is tough to explain lol.

Also I like how you don’t refer to them as basic skills and rather fundamentals!

I think the whole weight distribution thing really threw me off initially with backwards crossovers. I’m going to work on them though! Thank you so much!

Vladik

On the Ice
Hi @Vladik, I saw this video on my Instagram feed earlier and it reminded me of this discussion : https://www.instagram.com/p/CopUq1vtUtw/
It's not backward but forward, yet maybe it'll help ?
Thanks for starting the conversation on this, I learnt a lot !
Thank you so much! I’ve learnt a lot too!!
I feel like the under push is VERY important in both forwards and backwards, but definitely backwards.

Thank you again! And glad you learnt a lot from this thread!! I’ve never really heard anybody mention the whole push on the backwards crossovers in too much detail, and I’d always wondered! :)