Toe loops with a straight leg upon takeoff | Golden Skate

Toe loops with a straight leg upon takeoff

sampaguita

Rinkside
I think my toe loop is a real toe loop. Not great, but it's not a toe waltz. My coach approves. But one of my goals is to learn jumps so that if one day I miraculously wake up with athleticism, I can do a triple with no problem, lol. Here's my typical toe loop:

And the goal is to jump like Yuzuru, with the straight leg upon takeoff:

Any tips? If I try to jump with a straight leg, I don't have enough air time to even complete the rotation, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Thanks all!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think my toe loop is a real toe loop. Not great, but it's not a toe waltz. My coach approves. But one of my goals is to learn jumps so that if one day I miraculously wake up with athleticism, I can do a triple with no problem, lol. Here's my typical toe loop:

Any tips? If I try to jump with a straight leg, I don't have enough air time to even complete the rotation, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Thanks all!
What's your coach say? I mean, let's be honest here: There are people who have athleticism and never get triples, and you should jump like yourself and with proper technique, not just strive to be Yuzuru. It is great to have a hero in the sport you look up to but please, just be safe at learning the sport and be YOU.

Good luck! :) And welcome!! :)

sampaguita

Rinkside
What's your coach say? I mean, let's be honest here: There are people who have athleticism and never get triples, and you should jump like yourself and with proper technique, not just strive to be Yuzuru. It is great to have a hero in the sport you look up to but please, just be safe at learning the sport and be YOU.

Good luck! :) And welcome!! :)
Coach said it was a toe loop (not a toe waltz), she just wanted more height. For me though, it's about learning new ways to do things. I can do my salchow in two ways, the one my coach taught me to, and the two-footed takeoff I learned by myself.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Coach said it was a toe loop (not a toe waltz), she just wanted more height. For me though, it's about learning new ways to do things. I can do my salchow in two ways, the one my coach taught me to, and the two-footed takeoff I learned by myself.
It's not about a straight free leg that will get you height, it's about vaulting off the jumping knee properly.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You completely missed my point.

Also, please don't try to teach yourself to jump. You could injure yourself as well as learning really bad technique.

Vicki7

On the Ice

Emphasis added as I just wanted to say, be careful with that - my coach had to spend months getting me to stop tapping my free foot down when I jumped a salchow. He said with doubles and up, it is a technique that’s used, but for a single it shouldn’t happen.

I toe-waltz so I’m not the best to ask about technique on that jump… working on fixing it though!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

Toeloop technique looks fine, better than 90% of most people starting toeloop. Yuzuru jumps toeloop his way, Nathan jumps it his way, Javi jumps it his way etc. At the end of the day, ideal technique for one isn't ideal technique for another. Worst mistake would be to change it and then get an even worse error (e.g. toe waltz).

Stick with the jump mechanics you have unless your coach says otherwise. Because often there's a reason to the way they teach somebody.
For example, from my point of view doing two foot salchow on a single isn't a good way to learn salchow. You lose the opportunity to learn correct salchow transfer, one foot strength/balance etc. (Others might disagree)

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Yuzuru does not jump a toe loop off of a straight leg (nor does Nathan or any other elite skater).

Your toe loop looks good, although you might try concentrating more on the upper body and on more speed. Your arms look wide even in mid rotation (rather than pulling in close to your body), and in general I would suggest pulling up more from your core.

Good luck and trust your coach!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yuzuru does not jump a toe loop off of a straight leg (nor does Nathan or any other elite skater).

Your toe loop looks good, although you might try concentrating more on the upper body and on more speed. Your arms look wide even in mid rotation (rather than pulling in close to your body), and in general I would suggest pulling up more from your core.

Good luck and trust your coach!
⬆️⬆️ Yes!:clap::rock: