Top 5 Favourite ChSq Elements? | Golden Skate

Top 5 Favourite ChSq Elements?

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
I dont know if there is a perfect term for what they're called, but from the established choreographic skills/moves/elements we see in ChSq (and to fill empty space in StSq or the program generally), which are your favourites?

My favourites:

1. Forward Knee Glide
2. Cantilever
3. Forward Gliding Lunge (I think you could call it that?)
4. Fan Kick
5. Split Jump

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I dont know if there is a perfect term for what they're called, but from the established choreographic skills/moves/elements we see in ChSq (and to fill empty space in StSq or the program generally), which are your favourites?

My favourites:

1. Forward Knee Glide
2. Cantilever
3. Split Jump
4. Ina Bauer
5. Forward Spiral
1. Mazurka Jump (by women)
2. Russian Split Jump series (by men)
3. Forward Outside Spiral
4. Spread Eagle
5. Ina Bauer

--the last three to be held, for distance and time
--the men don't seem to do a series of Russian Splits anymore, but it used to be almost a duelling move used by several men in succession to end programs. Elvis Stojko was noted for them, and Toller Cranston ended programs with them, when he wasn't dying on the ice and causing a rule for some years that competitors must not end programs lying on the ice.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Mazurka Jump (by women)
2. Russian Split Jump series (by men)
3. Forward Outside Spiral
4. Spread Eagle
5. Ina Bauer

--the last three to be held, for distance and time
--the men don't seem to do a series of Russian Splits anymore, but it used to be almost a duelling move used by several men in succession to end programs. Elvis Stojko was noted for them, and Toller Cranston ended programs with them, when he wasn't dying on the ice and causing a rule for some years that competitors must not end programs lying on the ice.

I loved my Tolller. But I think it was Torvill and Dean and Bolero that caused endless subsequent deaths on the ice, and thus the rule. :)

1. Split jumps :hap10: (Jason would gladly do a series in a competitive program if they were worth more points, I am sure. he does four in sequence in his exhibitions. Tomoki has done sequential as well) and

2. Spirals (held for more than half a second):hap10:

3. Hydroblade/cantilever

4. Ina Bauer

5. are hitch kicks a choreo sequence? They should be. :) Hitch kicks. And butterfly kicks a la Andrew Torgashev.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Always depends on placing and execution, but in general:

1. cantilevers (by far)

Apart from that I can't say, it really depends too much. Can say I'm not a big fan of Ina Bauers and spirals as much as other people, but of course some are stunning.

I prefer unusual movements to the classic ones I know the names of.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For competition and in no particular order, those that come to mind

Hydroblade when done properly
Cross rolls, especially backward
Ina Bauer
Donut spin

and I don't know if it counts but a perfect delayed single axel, which I can watch on repeat for oh, ages

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Always depends on placing and execution, but in general:

1. cantilevers (by far)

Apart from that I can't say, it really depends too much. Can say I'm not a big fan of Ina Bauers and spirals as much as other people, but of course some are stunning.

I prefer unusual movements to the classic ones I know the names of.

Yes Cantilever would be my favourite surely too if it wasnt for Petrosian's Knee Glide. Who has your favourite Cantilever? I know a lot of men have amazing Cantilevers since they're so strong (and its one of the most pure strength based moves) but as you know I dont watch men much except at the biggest events (though I think I might start next season). Naturally I like Trusovas Cantilever as banal of an opinion as that is, but Akateva's is also underrated to me because she gets really deep but Trusova's is much more stable and textbook.

I also agree about Bauers and Spirals, I just changed my list after I remembered a couple of other ones over those two since I made this post without thinking much originally.

Magill

Record Breaker
For competition and in no particular order, those that come to mind

Hydroblade when done properly
Cross rolls, especially backward
Ina Bauer
Donut spin

and I don't know if it counts but a perfect delayed single axel, which I can watch on repeat for oh, ages
Impressive hydroblades and single delayed axels are definitely the best for me.
I still remember how impressed I was when I first saw them, I could not believe my eyes and requested hundreds and hundreds of repetitions to understand what it was that was actually going on there on the ice. Seemed to defy physics, especially some of the more elaborate hydros. Literally mouth-dropping for a casual viewer.
No wonder I am a fan of the guy most known for both in the last decade or two :love:
But is is this way in and not the other way round i.e. not choosing them just because they are Yuzuru's trademarks ;)
That's it for now, expect me to come back with the other 3 .

Last edited:

LolaSkatesInJapan

ā™„ Kami Valieva fan ā™„
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Anything displaying great flexibility/great leg extensions are my favorite skills besides jumps (such as what Kamila offered in her programs)... and Sasha's cantilever.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Flexibility for men::love2::love2::love2: (have no idea about women, don't follow them)

1. Jason Brown

2. Anthony Paradis

Any others?

Magill

Record Breaker
Flexibility for men::love2::love2::love2: (have no idea about women, don't follow them)

1. Jason Brown

2. Anthony Paradis

Any others?
Yuzuru Hanyu, of course. His amazing flexibility was what first caught his FS coaches' attention and made them treat the kid seriously :love: It's legendary.

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
Yes Cantilever would be my favourite surely too if it wasnt for Petrosian's Knee Glide. Who has your favourite Cantilever? I know a lot of men have amazing Cantilevers since they're so strong (and its one of the most pure strength based moves) but as you know I dont watch men much except at the biggest events (though I think I might start next season). Naturally I like Trusovas Cantilever as banal of an opinion as that is, but Akateva's is also underrated to me because she gets really deep but Trusova's is much more stable and textbook.

I also agree about Bauers and Spirals, I just changed my list after I remembered a couple of other ones over those two since I made this post without thinking much originally.

Trusova probably. Hers just looks incredibly secure and easy.
But I also like Aymoz' a lot! and that he has several variations of it:
Cantilever at ~1:40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBMMRJOjeEs
a different one at ~2:10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX14Z6bhEHo
He also has quite a few variations on slides, knee glides and spread eagles and of course his aerials.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Cantilevers and hydroblades from Rohene Ward. Not bad for a choreographer. ;)

Always love Rohene, whether he's skating himself or doing choreography for others (like Jason Brown). Going back to the question: why has no one mentiond Junwhan Cha's Ina Bauer yet? So beautiful! But as a top 5, to me it would be:

Ina Bauer (Cha's especially)
Cantilever (Shoma's especially)
Gabrielle/Guillame's wacking (to faint for)
Split jumps (especially Jason's)
Perfectly synchronized SBS spin (don't see the synchronicity that often, but if you do: fainting again)

Sorry, spins aren't truly a Chsq but can't help mentioning tthem.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru Hanyu, of course. His amazing flexibility was what first caught his FS coaches' attention and made them treat the kid seriously :love: It's legendary.
Yep, and still amazing at 29 (Beilmanns, donut spins, sit spins and twizzles and Ina Bauers in recent shows and videos) and stillused in silhouette on FSU advertising :laugh:. My love for a good hydroblade came straight from him, and the depth and variety he displays has only made it deeper; I know that every time a little junior this year had a go at a hydro, I cheered.

It's interesting that there are some moves that, while many can and do do them, they become almost 'attached' to one (and if you are googling pictures that one skater will be the firstest and mostest who appears :laugh:) 'signature' to them: obviously there is also Shoma and the cantilever (even though, as stated, Trusova and Aymoz do just as great ones), Yulia Lipnitskaya and her upright split spin - again others do it but if you look online it is hers that is the most famous even all these years later.

cailuj365

On the Ice
Honestly, anything that is timed well to the music is going to be super effective, and I will "oooh" and "aahhh" just the same. My favorites are spirals, cantilevers, and Ina Bauers though.