Transportation to Independance | Golden Skate

Transportation to Independance

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Katherine at the LOC tells me there is an Amtrak train to Independance and back called the Missouri River Runner.

It leaves KC (KCY) at about 8:15 am and takes 19 minutes or so to go to Independance (IDP) where there is a short cab ride to the arena.

It leaves Independance at 4p for KC,

https://www.amtrak.com/missouri-river-runner-train

Round trip senior, 62 and over, is 17 bucks.

The fallback to get home is ride with another fan or a $50 taxi fee. Of course, if you are going over with more than one person, then you can presumably split the taxi fee.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have longed for Nationals to return to KC, but I am guessing by the way they are screwing things up for the fans (hope they do a better job for the skaters), this is a one and done deal.

There are Metro busses leaving downtown and heading to Independence's Blue Ridge Crossings for $1.50 each way. From there you could get a cab and the ride would be shorter. http://ridekc.org/routes/28_blue_ridge

The KC Streetcar runs along Main, so you could take it for free to 9th & Main and then backtrack to the Metro stop at 10th & Main, catch the bus to Blue Ridge Crossings and then a cab to the arena. Just an idea for cheap people like me.

I am thinking about doing this in reverse on Tuesday ( I will be in Independence and want to see practices downtown).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have longed for Nationals to return to KC, but I am guessing by the way they are screwing things up for the fans (hope they do a better job for the skaters), this is a one and done deal.

There are Metro busses leaving downtown and heading to Independence's Blue Ridge Crossings for $1.50 each way. From there you could get a cab and the ride would be shorter. http://ridekc.org/routes/28_blue_ridge

The KC Streetcar runs along Main, so you could take it for free to 9th & Main and then backtrack to the Metro stop at 10th & Main, catch the bus to Blue Ridge Crossings and then a cab to the arena. Just an idea for cheap people like me.

I am thinking about doing this in reverse on Tuesday ( I will be in Independence and want to see practices downtown).

Hey, thanks for the info! I will have time to research it in a few days. Personally, I would feel the love from the Local ORG Com more if they would have done all this for us and posted it on their website. I was going to just go to the Union station displays on Monday....

After San Jose, if they keep picking cities that are cold and facilities not to my liking, I have found that I can take a cruise to and around Hawaii for not much more money.....I have a book on cruising on order......dont know much except I have to pay for my own self medication....and Hawaii is usually warmer than Cleveland.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
If you decide to forgo skating on Monday, take the streetcar down to the City Market area and visit the Steamboat Arabia museum. It is really interesting (if you like history). If you like Jazz, baseball and BBQ a trip to 18th and Vine never disappoints.
If you like beer, I highly recommend going over to Boulevard Brewing Company to sample their wares. They have a new visitor's center and it isn't very far from Crown Center area.

I spent less in 2013 when I flew to Omaha and rented a car for the weekend than I am spending on this "hometown" event. I really don't understand how so many people do this every year. My hubby already told me to enjoy because I won't be going again!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If you decide to forgo skating on Monday, take the streetcar down to the City Market area and visit the Steamboat Arabia museum. It is really interesting (if you like history). If you like Jazz, baseball and BBQ a trip to 18th and Vine never disappoints.
If you like beer, I highly recommend going over to Boulevard Brewing Company to sample their wares. They have a new visitor's center and it isn't very far from Crown Center area.

I spent less in 2013 when I flew to Omaha and rented a car for the weekend than I am spending on this "hometown" event. I really don't understand how so many people do this every year. My hubby already told me to enjoy because I won't be going again!

Ow! Time for hubby 2.0? ;) I have done nats since 2007. Maybe not 2019....
OK, I see the bus route. Number 28 blueridge southbound from stop 11, 10th and Main, to stop 7, Blue Ridge Crossing, about at the Blue Ridge Walmart. 20 minutes. Then a 4-5 mile cab ride to the arena at 291 and I 70. I mapped it out if anyone is interested.

Unless I hook up with one of my friends, I will probably skip this and see the Steamboat museum and the Station and the Beer!