Trouble getting onto spin rocker | Golden Skate

Trouble getting onto spin rocker

pikomiko

Rinkside
Hi! I have been learning spins for about a year now and I STILL cannot properly get onto my spin rocker, it always ends up too far up the toe pick and I come to a stop after 2-3 rotations. I’ve tried flattening my foot a little but I completely lose balance and fall out of the spin.
I tried spinning on my non dominant leg and I managed to find the sweet spot almost instantly so I’m a little confused if it’s a me problem or a blade problem?
Any advice? I’m currently skating on coronation aces.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi and welcome! Pretty much everything in figure skating is reliant on core control and keeping it.
I also have a question for you to get an idea if what I am thinking is accurate: Are you even slightly ambidextrous when you write etc?
B/c if the answer is yes, the leg and direction you should be spinning and eventually jumping may not be the one you think.
I am an example of this. ;)

pikomiko

Rinkside
Hi @pikomiko

I’m also learning to spin, how are you entering the spin at the moment? The most frustrating thing for me is I had the spin a few weeks ago and I got a pass for it from the coach, and now I’ve totally lost it, I can do 2/3 turns then I’m either off the spot or toppling, or both, usually both.

So I’m in no place to mentor anyone but here’s some things others have said to help me. Stand very tall, make your body as straight as it can be, lift up from the abdomen. During entry, press the skating foot into the ice, transfer weight with knee bend. Don’t force the spin to start early, wait for the 3-turn to happen then go along with it. Take your right shoulder into the spin with you. Lift the hip of the free foot, get an idea how much to lift by lifting your foot using only hip movement, just to get the feel of the hip movement. Turn your head towards the direction of the spin during entry, look left in an exaggerated way, then turn your head straight ahead when the spin starts. Don’t lock the knee of the skating leg, just a little bend. Practice skating on spin rocker, backward inside edge on a curling circle, in the spin position, on the sweet spot of your blade. Count your rotations backwards, have a goal for what’s about to happen, I will do 4 turns time, 4, 3, 2, 1 exit. When you have stable 2/3 rotations, start working on the exit and how to stop the rotation, a solid exit will give you more confidence to add turns and speed.
at this point I welcome all advice, so thank you! I’ll keep that in mind!

pikomiko

Rinkside
Hi and welcome! Pretty much everything in figure skating is reliant on core control and keeping it.
I also have a question for you to get an idea if what I am thinking is accurate: Are you even slightly ambidextrous when you write etc?
B/c if the answer is yes, the leg and direction you should be spinning and eventually jumping may not be the one you think.
I am an example of this. ;)
Not really in terms of writing, but I do some things with my left hand that most people do with their right eg holding fork and spoon.
I’m very comfortable with jumping anti clockwise though!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not really in terms of writing, but I do some things with my left hand that most people do with their right eg holding fork and spoon.
I’m very comfortable with jumping anti clockwise though!
If you are a lefty jumper then spin that way too. :)