Trouble with Mohawks | Golden Skate

Trouble with Mohawks

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I have been having trouble with my Mohawks, it seems like even though I try to get the foot placement and turn out correct I still end up skating forward before and after I switch feet. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but at no point do I go backwards like you’re supposed to, which then make me think my position on the ice isn’t open enough or I’m not on the right edges. 🤷🏼‍♀️ How did you guys get these mohawks down? I’ve watched video after video and I can’t seem to get it.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have been having trouble with my Mohawks, it seems like even though I try to get the foot placement and turn out correct I still end up skating forward before and after I switch feet. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but at no point do I go backwards like you’re supposed to, which then make me think my position on the ice isn’t open enough or I’m not on the right edges. 🤷🏼‍♀️ How did you guys get these mohawks down? I’ve watched video after video and I can’t seem to get it

And your coach says?!?!?!?

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
And your coach says?!?!?!?
I wouldn’t post something like this here if I had a coach, and right now I’m not in a position financially where I can get one. I was just looking to see if there were any tricks or tips that anyone had or used to help them get their mohawks.

Elija

On the Ice
Practice on the barrier. Then you can focus on getting the feet right without worrying about balance. Make sure you’re checking your body after the step so you don’t swing around. I’m a little unclear from your description whether you are actually going forward to back and then turning forward again without holding the back edge, or if you are literally just stepping from one foot to the other going forward, which is obviously not a Mohawk. Anyway, give it a try on the barrier, and as you get more confident try on a line or circle and try to stay on it.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I wouldn’t post something like this here if I had a coach, and right now I’m not in a position financially where I can get one. I was just looking to see if there were any tricks or tips that anyone had or used to help them get their mohawks.
I'm sorry about your situation and understand, but it's not safe or good practice to try to teach yourself these things. Mohawks are one of the basics that is very important to get correct because it's going to affect your jumps etc down the line. But hey, I wish you luck.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OP: Under the scenario you've stipulated [(1) You can't afford a coach, (2) You've watched videos of how a mohawk should be done, and (3) You want to proceed with help over the Internet (setting aside debate over the wisdom of so doing)], then you would likely get viable help over the Internet only if you have someone take detailed videos of what you are doing and post them for review. Other skaters posting how they overcame their own specific problems likely aren't going to be of much help for you: The first step is to identify what your own specific problems are.

Last edited:

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I had trouble with mohawks for a while because I was too stiff in the upper body and my inside edges were not deep enough...

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm sorry about your situation and understand, but it's not safe or good practice to try to teach yourself these things. Mohawks are one of the basics that is very important to get correct because it's going to affect your jumps etc down the line. But hey, I wish you luck.

Just want to second this with my own personal experience - so far the worst skating injury I've sustained was from a C-step / Mohawk. I was trying to keep my feet as close together as I could to make the turn "pretty" and stepped on the tail of my blade. My skating foot flew out from under me and before I knew it, I hit the ice hard. Bruised my tailbone, and I was frankly lucky I didn't break it. And that was with my group coach watching! I got a kind but stern lecture about how I wasn't gunning for 10s in skating skills and I needed to learn how to do the turn safely first!! 😅

Regardless of how you proceed, please be careful!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Work on inside spreadeagles to help you get the turnout. Make sure you have bent knees - this part is really important! When you're comfortable on that circle, you should find it possible to transfer your weight from the leading foot to the trailing foot and then eventually lift the leading foot so you're going backwards.

As the others have said, be careful. C-steps/Mohawks are an integral part of skating skills and you need to learn them properly and safely.