Under appreciated programs 2016 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Under appreciated programs 2016

Petitefleur

Spectator
Without polemizing , some remarks on the SHORT DANCE :
among the top 10, we have a few HIP HOP choreographies very remarkable (Weaver/Poje, Virtue/Moir), although pseudo hip hop.
But the swing and the blues are really well treated only by Papadakis/Cizeron : their lindy hop maybe inspired by the famous lindy hop in the movie Ellzapoppin', and the only blues which give us the spirit of this dance, waving with elegance. They were not paid for that...For the other pairs, they skate blues on selected musics which aren't really blues, or the choreography did not show the spirit of this music. I mean that in these programs, the blues is neglected, almost absent . In a way , it is deception. I am doubtful about the "eyes" of the judges: have they never heard or even understood the blues ?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
among the top 10, we have a few HIP HOP choreographies very remarkable (Weaver/Poje, Virtue/Moir), although pseudo hip hop.
But the swing and the blues are really well treated only by Papadakis/Cizeron : their lindy hop maybe inspired by the famous lindy hop in the movie Ellzapoppin', and the only blues which give us the spirit of this dance, waving with elegance. They were not paid for that...For the other pairs, they skate blues on selected musics which aren't really blues, or the choreography did not show the spirit of this music. I mean that in these programs, the blues is neglected, almost absent . In a way , it is deception. I am doubtful about the "eyes" of the judges: have they never heard or even understood the blues ?

I also struggle to find blues in that blues this season, what a shame.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Elladj Balde's SP(The sound of silence) and LP (Blood diamond)
Everyone seems to like his programs, so it is not technically underrated. But he deserves every piece of praise and recognition!

I looked up the choreographer, Julie Marcotte, who did work with Narumi/Tran and Meagan/Erik, but it doesn't ring a bell. Anyways, she IS in my best choreographer list.

Yes, I definitely feel like the FS could only be skated by him, if you know what I mean. It really shows off his unique style. It's a bummer it was not skated to its full potential at NHK.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yulia's pair of program really suited her. Hope she get to skate to their potential this season.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Just rewatched NHK again. Mirai's pair of programs this year are probably her best yet.

Practically her bloody big heart on a plate, at the mercy of the judging system, expose for ISU judges to trample all over on, and at NHK they certainly did.

I have never seen such sincere and heartfelt programs which Mirai in her circumstance (and amount of heart break) can do with the extra poignancy, vunerablility, regret, hope without walls. (bit like Michelle Kwan's field of Gold program at the Olympics)

We ask for authenticity, originality, creativity, truth in the beauty we deliver. This elevate the programs from just another program to win competitions and score points. Life, love and tribulation as a skater... on ice in 3.5 mins.

Just lovely, imperfection and all.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker

Wow. I forgot what an energetic, involved, passionate, happy skater Mirai could/can be. What a difference between then and now. What a shame. Wish she had some of that drive and brought that smile back. :palmf:

I don't know whether it's disappointment, disenchantment or what but the spark she used to have just isn't there anymore in my opinion. Her SP and FS this year are lovely, she always has the most beautiful dresses (wish the Russians could get her stylist) but she just sometimes looks defeated before she even starts. Her FS this year could bring tears....the words to that song are so poignant.

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I really like Zijun's SP. I think it's a well choreographed program with nice moments. But she lacks fire skating it. There's a missing umph.
Yulia's LP is also nice. It suits her well. I especially love her costume. It screams bad*ss. Hope she skates it perfectly in competition someday.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wow. I forgot what an energetic, involved, passionate, happy skater Mirai could/can be. What a difference between then and now. What a shame. Wish she had some of that drive and brought that smile back. :palmf:

I don't know whether it's disappointment, disenchantment or what but the spark she used to have just isn't there anymore in my opinion. Her SP and FS this year are lovely, she always has the most beautiful dresses (wish the Russians could get her stylist) but she just sometimes looks defeated before she even starts. Her FS this year could bring tears....the words to that song are so poignant.

Like so many, she has nerve issues....I Just watched the ladies short and long from the 2010 Worlds in Torino last night. Mirai lead the short program....70 points. She beat everyone...Mao, Yuna, Miki, Carolina.....but that kind of pressure did and does her in many times....Ever since 2010 she hasnt been a happy camper out on the ice. Its so sad to watch. This year's free skate wasnt her first choice but they say it has meaning for her, which makes it even sadder to watch. But watch it I will at KC. I hope she puts down two good skates there....and if she can do those math problems she posts on twitter, I bet she can succeed in international business too! I would like to see her happy too!
Here is the short from 2010...this is Mirai at her best....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTv2y7ypYMk

(In order to see her KIss and cry reaction, you have to go to the end of this take.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RIDpUGdMPM

(I will say her performance at 2016 NHK can be nit picked for sure but I still enjoyed it very much...as a performance, it just needs a bit more speed and expression...do I have to get up at 6 am at KC to watch her practice it? ;) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFL-OrVWMaI

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
James/Cipres's LP is super amazingly and creatively choreographed, even if they haven't done it clean. Probably the most innovative program all season.

Yes. I'm hoping they do AT LEAST one clean performance of it, because the choreography is some of the best of the year. And then I can download a copy of it and watch it over and over to my heart's content.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wasn't last year SD a waltz tempo? P/C didn't skate on a waltz and they were not punished for it. As long as the tempo and rhythm are respected, the music can be different. I agree with you, it would be nice if teams stuck closer to the imposed theme... but I am thinking that most teams want to be original and I thank them for that in most cases. Otherwise the SD would be like compulsory dance all over again.

I think we have a great example of that with G/P who chose disco and have a great SD.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Wasn't last year SD a waltz tempo? P/C didn't skate on a waltz and they were not punished for it. As long as the tempo and rhythm are respected, the music can be different. I agree with you, it would be nice if teams stuck closer to the imposed theme... but I am thinking that most teams want to be original and I thank them for that in most cases. Otherwise the SD would be like compulsory dance all over again.

I think we have a great example of that with G/P who chose disco and have a great SD.

See, I have a problem with that. In what universe is disco consider blues? I love the program, it's fun. But it bends the rules to the breaking point, methinks.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well as far as I know, they read the rules and noticed that disco could be the secondary rhythm... while most teams only saw hip hop or swing, they found out disco was possible and went for it... totally in agreement with the rules...
See, I have a problem with that. In what universe is disco consider blues? I love the program, it's fun. But it bends the rules to the breaking point, methinks.

ETA
If I recall it's in an interview they gave. It was their way of being different this year BUT by following the rules actually :)

Petitefleur

Spectator

I can't imagine that you don't recognize a waltz in Papadakis/Cizeron last year SD ! All the waltzes do not have the heavy tempo such as the Viennese waltzes ! Charms by Abel Korzeniowski is a romantic and delicate waltz.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
some parts go into 6/8... definitely not a waltz. sorry ;)
I can't imagine that you don't recognize a waltz in Papadakis/Cizeron last year SD ! All the waltzes do not have the heavy tempo such as the Viennese waltzes ! Charms by Abel Korzeniowski is a romantic and delicate waltz.

uhh

Medalist

It is in 12/8 and then changes to 9/8. Waltz must be in 3/4. It was an inappropriate choice for the SD requirements, particularly for the Ravensburger which is characterised by the strong 1 and 4 beats, in a Viennese style. They were told at Europeans that the waltz rhythm was not apparent (why the judges couldn't mark them properly for this instead of just telling them to fix it for next time is beyond me...) which is why at Worlds they turned up with that horrendous added drum beat. An actual romantic and delicate waltz which the right rhythm would be something like Chopin's Spring Waltz.

The Barry White section is the blues (maybe I'd technically argue that the song is R&B or funk rather than blues, but the ISU requirement for the blues is much faster than what I'd traditionally think of for blues. Same as they do with rumba). The full on disco part is actually their swing element. And under ISU rules that is acceptable, because they define swing as any form of popular dance that developed after the 1920s.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It is in 12/8 and then changes to 9/8. Waltz must be in 3/4. It was an inappropriate choice for the SD requirements, particularly for the Ravensburger which is characterised by the strong 1 and 4 beats, in a Viennese style. They were told at Europeans that the waltz rhythm was not apparent (why the judges couldn't mark them properly for this instead of just telling them to fix it for next time is beyond me...) which is why at Worlds they turned up with that horrendous added drum beat. An actual romantic and delicate waltz which the right rhythm would be something like Chopin's Spring Waltz.

The Barry White section is the blues (maybe I'd technically argue that the song is R&B or funk rather than blues, but the ISU requirement for the blues is much faster than what I'd traditionally think of for blues. Same as they do with rumba). The full on disco part is actually their swing element. And under ISU rules that is acceptable, because they define swing as any form of popular dance that developed after the 1920s.

Technically you and 4everchan are right, but I'm a purist at heart.

See, I don't have a problem with the SD as a looser set pattern dance. It really shows two things to me: how each team stacks up against the other in terms of technique, and how creative they can be with choreography and program construction.

But I don't want to be a fuddyduddy about it. G/P's program really is fun, and fun is a rare commodity in ID,, the home of ubertraumadrama!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Thought I'd quote myself back from last November. :biggrin:
Yeah ~~ Karen!! Not bad from one of the underrated to a new US nationals SP record. Well done!!! (And well done to you too TPTB.)

For the ladies, many of my favs have been under the radar struggling with PCS recognition (Wakaba finally won recognition this year), but actually, I really like what they are doing with their programs. Consider how inflated the current field, watching their score is heartbreaking at times. I can only hope in time they will eventually get recognised by the judges one day.

Amongst them include Zijun Li, Soyoun Park, and Karen Chen. I have just watched Karen's SP & FS having missed watching both events live this season. I did a triple/triple take. Looking at the score, then looking at these programs/performances and can only shake my head consider the current inflated field. Nevertheless, I greatly admire what Karen is trying to do, hope she get recognised for her sincere efforts. Coming off such slump after horrific injuries is always a tough task but to decide to self-choreograph and realise such exquisite yet risk taking ambitions (delicate short with little margins for error with that piece of music. Fast long doing a Latin.) as comebacks deserve my admiration and commendation. Well done Karen, hope you have a great US national and able to deliver all that you can. Regardless of everything else, you are a terrific talent, have a beautiful pair of programs and such a little budding artist. Hope you continue to grow over the next few years. Well done!! :points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBPbmgEOWSY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMVWjHDIYqY
(updated Eurosport video, some really nice comments. 6 triples program include 2 Lutz with a lutz opening combo. You rock Karen, despite the stingey marks!)

Please feel free to share your fav under appreciated programs/skaters.