Vincent Zhou | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Phil Hersh interview with Jack Gallagher. At 52:45 he says Vincent will attend Brown but plans to defer his admission.
https://soundcloud.com/user-983930015/no-24-phil-hersh

Thanks for posting the info, sheetz. Knowing how reporters are, I will wait for Vincent to make the official announcement himself. ;)
I am sure Vincent will be focusing on building the momentum from last season's podium wins and working towards Beijing. Nathan is in a league of his own.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Regarding the upcoming GP assignments, it's a sure bet that CoC would invite Vincent. The travel time would be really taxing. Chongqing, the host city, is 906 miles flying distance from Beijing. That's 15+ hour drive time/2h 55m flight time. Hopefully, Vincent's grandparents, relatives and fans can make it to the venue to support him in person.

It would be great if he gets another shot at NHK, since the Japanese fans love him and coach Hamada will be there to provide support. But only if Nathan forego the pick and NHK decides to have a Shoma/Vincent competition. We'll find out soon. :pray:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I like those photos ISU competition picked, that kick is a similar move to 旋风脚(wind-whirl kick) in KungFu of the 长拳 style, when I was researching for my little thesis of Vincent's CTHD free. I studied some KungFu stuff, one interesting find is that international movie megastar Jet Li is actually a real master of 长拳. And his wind-whirl kick is out of this world.:luv17:
it is great that Vincent incorporated martial art elements/styling (not just this kick) in his CTHD program. So I am kinda happy that ISU picked that photo although it is not a traditional prince charming, heartthrob Vincent photo, and if you pay attention, Vincent's right hand gesture is a fist, and it is a fist throughout the season whenever he is doing that move. this really showed Vincent's attention to the detail.
Another find during my research is that Vincent's CTHD is completely different from Boyang's CTHD program in terms of martial art styling (showed for example in their hand gestures). Boyang's is a classic Tai chi style which belongs to internal kungFu (WuDang linage associated with Taoism), and seems is the Kungfu style used by the leading male character Li Mubai in the movie.
However Vincent's more inclined to external KungFu of Shaolin temple (associated with Zen, Buddhism and Confucianism).

A Chinese fan summarized her understanding of Vincent (as well as Boyang's) CTHD programs brilliantly, I will share here.

"我觉得方方的卧虎藏龙就是卧虎藏龙本身了。想去追寻个人幸福而囿于世俗,缠绵悱恻,深情隐忍,终是不得。玉娇龙是李慕白想活成的样子。中华文化深沉,却有太多桎梏。节目最后音乐仿佛,一切枷锁都不见了,他说出了爱,她跳下悬崖,飘逸如庄子"

"这节目 有儒之感,又有道之意"

“我个人觉得吧,天天那版哀而不伤,真的是我们的传统哲学,但是最后还是困在江湖鼓点里没有出来。方方前面是儒的,但是结尾那段音乐真的给人眼前一亮的感觉,像老庄一样,感觉整个人都飘起来了,那种玉娇龙一跃跳下悬崖的感觉”

It is very difficult for me to translate this into English.. (I give up:biggrin:)

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Way to go, Vincent! It is back to back, but he gets to be a headliner in Russia, so, wow.

Thanks, Lariko! Very excited for Vincent's high probability of podium finishes this GP season.

For reference, here are the top competitors:

Cup of China, Chongqing, Nov. 8 to 10
With Boyang, Junhwan, Matteo, Keegan, Han Yan, Lazukin, Savosin, Keiji, and yay, Camden!!!

Rostelecom Cup, Moscow, Nov. 15 to 17
With Shoma, Dima, Deniss, Brezina, Nam, Samarin, Katzuki, and Alexei

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Thanks, Lariko! Very excited for Vincent's high probability of podium finishes this GP season.

For convenience, here are the top competitors:

Cup of China, Chongqing, Nov. 8 to 10
With Boyang, Junhwan, Matteo, Keegan, Han Yan, Lazukin, Savosin, Keiji, and yay, Camden!!!

Rostelecom Cup, Moscow, Nov. 15 to 17
With Shoma, Dima, Deniss, Brezina, Nam, Samarin, Katzuki, and Alexei

If I could rearrange the world to my liking, i’d go to Rostelecom, because him and Uno in the same comp is awesome. :) oh, well, not this year.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
If I could rearrange the world to my liking, i’d go to Rostelecom, because him and Uno in the same comp is awesome. :) oh, well, not this year.

Yeah, too bad for North American fans. We'll just have to cheer for Vincent and Shoma via livestream! :agree:

A quick search indicates a 12 hour flight from Chonqging to Moscow. Hope Vincent gets a chance to visit with relatives after CoC.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Vincent's latest IG post:

Posing in Takatsuki, Osaka with Satoko (looking adorable), fellow DOI performers Yuna Shiraiwa, Shoya Ichihashi (not sure about the girl on the very right? Doesn't look like Shoya's partner Riku Miura) and Yuto Kishina, another Hamada student

Wonder what kind of store/establishment is the one with the "Joy Joy" sign? I think I see the character "gold". Is that a sign? ;)
It would be really funny if they dragged Vincent to a karaoke place. Hopefully, the other skaters will take pics or videos with him in the coming days.

sheetz

Record Breaker
According to the latest TSL Vincent is supposed to remain in Japan with Hamada's group for a whole two months. Looks like that would be until around Champs Camp.

Perhaps that is why he isn't doing Sun Valley this summer.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
According to the latest TSL Vincent is supposed to remain in Japan with Hamada's group for a whole two months. Looks like that would be until around Champs Camp.

Perhaps that is why he isn't doing Sun Valley this summer.

Thanks for sharing the info, sheetz. I have banned TSL for good but realize they do have "contacts" that may provide insider information that could be true. ;) It makes sense to stay in Japan that long since he is doing The ICE. Great opportunity to do more sightseeing, food tasting, and training with coach Hamada to further improve his jumps and skating skills.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@rikaquegira
"Every time I see a thread of this kind I'm reminded that no one has skated to Cloud Atlas OST and I'm mad.
Listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2U-lL_qdTI

Imagine a beautiful, complex choreography, imagine a beautiful skater with amazing SS and musicality, with the ability of interpreting and emoting and drawing people in. Imagine how this program would end with a standing ovation every time. This is the kind of music that, with the right skater, it would make people in the arena bawl their eyes out.

I'm waiting for the skating gods to make it happen. "

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Vincent's SDITD on Youtube :sad21::yahoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-PVneOYdQ&feature=youtu.be&t=

Hoping for a even better broadcast version of this piece from the coming ice shows.:love:

Thanks for the link, yyyskate. That's very nice someone uploaded a B&W version of "Slow Dancing", goes with the costume color. Though I wish Vincent would wear something a bit more "stylish", as the music calls for something with more flair! The outfit he's wearing reminds me of an office boy, same as with his 2016/17 SP costume for "Writing's on the Wall". Just my personal opinion.

BTW, someone commented on the video: "Boi pulled a Harold the alien @ 1:56". Guess he/she meant Howard the Dancing Meme Alien. They don't call Vincent the meme king for nothing. :laugh2: Incidentally, there is a heated debate on whether Daniil G. "stole" the choreography for Alina's new EX. from another choreographer. Thank goodness nobody is going to accuse Josh of plagiarizing Howard the Alien's moves at 1:56. :laugh:

Just did a quick search for last year's DOI and The ICE clips. None of the "Nemesis" videos from last year's DOI have high resolution. The clips from The ICE look much better. Looking forward to that broadcast.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
@rikaquegira
"Every time I see a thread of this kind I'm reminded that no one has skated to Cloud Atlas OST and I'm mad.
Listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2U-lL_qdTI

Imagine a beautiful, complex choreography, imagine a beautiful skater with amazing SS and musicality, with the ability of interpreting and emoting and drawing people in. Imagine how this program would end with a standing ovation every time. This is the kind of music that, with the right skater, it would make people in the arena bawl their eyes out.

I'm waiting for the skating gods to make it happen. "

Are you quoting her? Can you provide the link or how she brought Cloud Atlas up?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
BTW, someone commented on the video: "Boi pulled a Harold the alien @ 1:56". Guess he/she meant Howard the Dancing Meme Alien. They don't call Vincent the meme king for nothing. :laugh2: Incidentally, there is a heated debate on whether Daniil G. "stole" the choreography for Alina's new EX. from another choreographer. Thank goodness nobody is going to accuse Josh of plagiarizing Howard the Alien's moves at 1:56. :laugh:
LMAO:laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh2: but I think Joshua will be fine, that hand choreo is very common in dance.