Weaver and Poje to sit out Grand Prix | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weaver and Poje to sit out Grand Prix

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You're forgetting that at Worlds, Madison Chock was skating on a fragile injured ankle (which collapsed on her in the FD at the Olympics), so C/B couldn't perform at peak ability. Maddy had surgery right after Worlds and has recovered completely.
Not at all. Chock and Bates didn't perform poorly at Worlds; indeed, their score was only slightly less than their season's best at the Grand Prix Final. The closeness of the two teams reflected Gilles and Poirier's scoring increasing, not Chock and Bates lagging.

I would hope that the performances on the ice and not 'home scoring' would determine the outcome of the competitions at the GPF.
Whatever your hopes, there are realities. Home scoring is a reality of the sport that has to be taken into account when assessing things.

It's not any kind of guarantee (just ask Cappellini and Lanotte, narrowly missing the podium in Milan), but it's a factor.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've been wanting to state this for some time: I love your Avatar Colonel Green!

Back to topic: glad that W/P will return to Nationals/Four Contentents/Worlds, but sad to not seeing them at GPs. I understand their reasoning, but I always love to watch them, and as I can't go to the Thank You Canada tour a rather disappointing decision to me. It's not only Canadians who love this couple you know. But, at least they will be back, hopefully taking Kaetlyn along.

mrrice

Record Breaker
What is with the Canadians not competing during GP? I'm gonna miss them so much.....

Well, after winning the team Gold at the Olympics, I think some of the seniors are ready for the young ones to take the reins and see what they can do. They'll be back for Nationals, Worlds, and 4CC. I think it's a wise decision.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, after winning the team Gold at the Olympics, I think some of the seniors are ready for the young ones to take the reins and see what they can do. They'll be back for Nationals, Worlds, and 4CC. I think it's a wise decision.
In Kaitlyn and Andrew's case, they didn't share in the win, sadly.

I've been wanting to state this for some time: I love your Avatar Colonel Green!
Thanks. In tribute to my beloved old cat, Sandy.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
This is surprising news indeed, In a way I can blame them for taking a well deserved break to refresh and return for Canadians. Look at V/M, they took a couple of years off and made a remarkable come back ending it all at the top of their game with the Gold medal Olympic medal. I'm sure W/P will love being on the Thank You Canada Tour and will be well received by all the fans. I wish W/P the best and look forward to seeing them at the Canadians.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I am really looking forward to seeing how G/P handle their turn in the hot seat. Seams likely that this season will be interesting for Canadian dance with both of the long term teams not skating.
Weaver/Poje are not skipping the whole season, just the Grand Prix. They intend to return at Nationals. But, sure, the GPs will be interesting without some of the top teams.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am really looking forward to seeing how G/P handle their turn in the hot seat. Seams likely that this season will be interesting for Canadian dance with both of the long term teams not skating.

I thought about the same thing - it will be an interesting experience indeed to see Piper and Paul front-seated for Canadian ice dance this GP season. Past quad was about Kaitlyn and Andrew for first two seasons after Sochi, then about Tessa/Scott's return, now it's their turn to test themselves as leading Canadian team, with more pressure and spotlight on them. They sure will have to get their act together asap in terms of material, because it will serve as an unnecessary distraction, at least me thinks that looking at past season. They have quite a chance to qualify for GPF, what is in their hands is preparation of well-structured, engaging material, train it to the best bits and be focused on execution, they have a real chance to step it all up for themselves now.

Saying that, I do hope that WeaPo will be back this season after Canada tour - probably the only team for me (after Tessa/Scott's presumable retirement from competition) right now that can give out the intensity of dance Tango is through expression and body language that feels authentic and tastefully sensual. Wishing them nothing but the very best -please be back later with head full of inspiration and heart full of people's love for you!!!:cheer:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not at all. Chock and Bates didn't perform poorly at Worlds; indeed, their score was only slightly less than their season's best at the Grand Prix Final. The closeness of the two teams reflected Gilles and Poirier's scoring increasing, not Chock and Bates lagging.

No, they didn't perform poorly, but because they were held back by Maddy's injured ankle, they didn't perform at their best, which would have scored them higher than their GPF score, and possibly higher than C/L (at US Nationals, they won the FD over both H/D and the Shibs; after Nationals, Maddy injured her ankle in practice, and then came the collapse at the Olympics).

G/P skated their best at Worlds, C/B weren't able to skate their best because of her injury, yet C/B still came out ahead.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Why unusual? :eek: I've always liked WeaPo! They were first Ice Dance couple I was invested in :p

i know and you are a devoted fan of skating no matter nationalities! i wan't surprised the comment came from you..if you read threads opened about canadian skaters, there are always a few users being negative about anything canadian, even our milk :) so your post was invigorating and refreshing!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No, they didn't perform poorly, but because they were held back by Maddy's injured ankle, they didn't perform at their best, which would have scored them higher than their GPF score, and possibly higher than C/L (at US Nationals, they won the FD over both H/D and the Shibs; after Nationals, Maddy injured her ankle in practice, and then came the collapse at the Olympics).

G/P skated their best at Worlds, C/B weren't able to skate their best because of her injury, yet C/B still came out ahead.

chuckm i am willing to agree with you : Maddy had an ankle injury, couldn't perform to her best....

but if you are bringing this up, how can you not have sympathy for Gabby, who after a good SP at worlds, sprained her ankle just before the LP and still managed to stay on her feet ... you have brought her down so many times in the past couple weeks and offered no compassion whatsoever, comparing her scores when coming back from abdominal injury and not being able to cope with the edge jumps, to other skaters in full force.....

I am willing to hear arguments about skaters being injured and I acknowledge two things
1) they still competed and got the rank they got while injured...
2) that rank/score doesn't define them other than at that precise competition

In other words, Gabby injured finished 7th this year at worlds... we saw what she can do the last year at worlds with a bronze... we have seen her performances at Nationals or her long at the Olympics team event....

Same with Kaitlyn and Andrew, they skated IdF last year with injury...

Same with Chock and Bates...

In other words, let's wish all these skaters will be in shape and if ever, not like this is possible, they were all in great shape at the same event, may the best win that day....

I hope that you can see that compassion doesn't only apply to American skaters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Gabby sprained her ankle just before the individual FS at the Olympics, not Worlds.
At Worlds, in the FS she doubled the solo lutz, got edge calls on both lutz and flip, and UR calls on the loop and the salchow. Other than the doubled lutz, the rest was Amano-nitpicking.
At the Olympics FS, she fell on both lutzes and on the loop, fell out of the flip and doubled the salchow. That seems more like skating with an injury.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I thought Gabby sprained her ankle just before the individual FS at the Olympics, not Worlds.
At Worlds, in the FS she doubled the solo lutz, got edge calls on both lutz and flip, and UR calls on the loop and the salchow. Other than the doubled lutz, the rest was Amano-nitpicking.
At the Olympics FS, she fell on both lutzes and on the loop, fell out of the flip and doubled the salchow. That seems more like skating with an injury.

nope... she injured herself at worlds, as we have discussed before. you can even see her removing her boot at the KnC and holding her ankle. at olympics, she had a bad skate... which can happen to anyone but there was not excuse other than, bad day at the office.....

Amano wasn't kind on Gabby, we agree on that, but at the same time, it wasn't usual Gabby jumps, they lacked the power and confidence she usually displays and she had to fight for every one of them, due to the injury... I can barely walk when I have a sprained ankle... i cannot imagine doing triple-triples...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Then why the horrendous FS at the Olympics?

happens to everyone... pressure, stress... i can only speculate but she didn't have her best SP, wasn't in the final flights and went for it too much in the LP which caused the disastrous skate... Gabby is a powerhouse, if she gets too fast or wants things too much, she has a hard time controlling her big jumps. It took her a long time to learn how to do so, but Olympics is another game...