Werner article on Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Werner article on Worlds

Me too, Ptichka. I do enjoy his style. It's fun. I remember his take off on Sandhu and I roared with laughter. I bet Emmanuel cringed.

Joe

Mafke

Medalist
I also suspect (Ptichka can confirm or deny) that maybe in Russian his tone isn't quite as bad as it might seem in English.

I could easily imagine that in the original his style comes off as very opinionated but maybe also lively and intentionally provocative (stating opinions as bluntly as possibe or even exaggerating them to give the reader food for thought).

Or he might seem exactly the same as he does in English - a knowledgeable and intermittently entertaining jerk.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Who is this guy? All he's doing is slagging of figure skating for everything it stands for! Well at least are athleats have more grace, education and open-mindedness than this rude, bitter nasty man! Does he even know anything about skating????
I hate the system, but would never slag off deserving athletes because of it!

I think he's just jealous that he can't show off hif feminin touch and that his wife isn't half as pretty as the ice-dancers!!!!:rofl:

Winnipeg

Final Flight
he likely just wants to sell more articles and being controversial is one way.......................he's obviously sparked interest here

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Many thanks, Ptichka!

I think most of what he says is lame. To say that Kawaguchi/Smirnov should have won bronze, when their free skate after the quad was rather a mess, they have little unison or matching line, and especially in this performance seemed to be fighting each other is rather ironic, since Dube/Davison are the only pair skating now who have the quality of traditional Russian pairs if not the style, with great flow in and out of their elements, end-to-end ice coverage on many of their lifts, and a harmony that none of the rest of the pairs in Gothenburg had (although Vasiliev is starting to work his magic with Murkhortova/Trankov. They are far more pleasing live than Kawaguchi/Smirnov.)

I wonder if the Russian Fed would step in and pair Smirnov with Bazarova, now that Larionov has been suspended for two years. (Very sad, in my eyes.) Kawaguchi/Smirnov do not mesh in any way.

It's one thing to say that the system is awful because a quadless, non-macho, all-around skater like Buttle can win, and another to denigrate him as mediocre, and the latter makes Werner lose all credibility in my eyes, despite his cute but self-satisfied wordplay..

summervie

Rinkside
Reading the original I would say stylewise the whole article only benefits by the translation (for instance, the "joke" about Emma Sandue :rolleye:). Banality, platitude/vulgarity (my dictionary stumbles here)... there is way too much of it. So, if you are wondering whether the style pulls the whole <strike>ridiculousness</strike> (a very useful tag, by the way) ambiguity of the content out, no, imo, it doesn't.
And in addition, it seems the author missed the whole Ladies' event. )

На русском.
Я, конечно, не против всеобщего обличения и картинного разрыва тельняшек по диагонали по каждому удобному и неудобному поводу, но как-то уж больно всепоглощающе. Ну, то есть, если бы автор расставлял теги, то к данной статье можно было бы прописать "политика", "гомофобия", "личное"... но никак не "фигурное катание". А раздел, между тем, называется... :rolleye:
И еще я не понял, что не так с Джефом. :) Вейр - хорошо, это еще можно понять, к нему можно отнести определение "женственный стиль" (в то время как автор, видимо, отдает предпочтение стилю несколько другой полярности. Окей, не вопрос), но Джефа-то за что? За то, что не похож на настоящего мужлана в kiss-n-cry? :rolleye: Смысл тогда вообще писать публичную статью о фигурном катании? Ведь только слепой станет отрицать, что у Джефа были два отличных проката и он стал чемпионом заслуженно.
Ну да ладно. Каждому, как говорится, свое.
Спасибо за перевод. :agree:

Last edited: